Sponsored by:

PPF over Ceramic coat

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPF over Ceramic coat

So today I just got my 911 back from the detail shop that performed paint correction and 2 layers of ceramic coating. In doing so, they had to take off my stone guards so that it can be detailed and coated evenly. I know that ceramic coating cures in about 6 hours under a heat lamp, but anyone has experience replacing their stone guards over a freshly coated car and how long one should wait before doing so? On the way back from the shop, I already noticed one really small nick, on the top coat, from debris on the highway. The shop recommended that the ceramic coating should go above the PPF, but that would require me to wrap the entire rear quarter panel. Something I really don't like the look of on a white car. I know PPF has gotten better and does not yellow out like older generations, but I did notice how yellow the stone guards were when taken off.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Putting clear film over freshly coated car should not be an issue. I would still try and give it a week or so to cure fully. In theory, you should always put coating on top of PPF, like your shop mentioned, but in this case it was necessary to put it on first when the stone guard was removed. The factory stone guards that Porsche uses do seem to still yellow, so I would find a shop that can install some XPEL or Suntek film in It's place.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Don't re-install the factory OE stone guards. They yellow, and you really notice it on a White Porsche. After the new PPF is applied, go back to your detailer, and have the ceramic coating applied to the film.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:35 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Due to the slick nature of your ceramic coating, ppf won't adhere as well. Have your detail shop remove coating from just that area, then install ppf.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all... I went to XPEL's website and ordered a pre-cut OE replacement. XPEL should be better than the OEM from Porsche.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont see any reason you can put clear film right over the 'wax' (i call all coatings wax on matter how expensive they are) It should stick just fine. If it doesnt you can tell everybody not to do it.
And you can wax with any sort of wax on top of the clear film, I do it all the time
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I dont see any reason you can put clear film right over the 'wax' (i call all coatings wax on matter how expensive they are) It should stick just fine. If it doesnt you can tell everybody not to do it.
And you can wax with any sort of wax on top of the clear film, I do it all the time
No, it does not.

Any type of synthetic coating should go on top of the PPF. Not underneath.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

This is one of those situations where the nuances dictate the actions.

·Factory hip PPF requires no stretching and it does not conform to any complex shapes so placing it over a coating is fine.
·PPF over a coating will not affect the ability of the film to work in any way in this situation. It will neither make it stronger nor weaker.
·Unless your professional has given you good reason to not trust him or has shown himself to be incompetent, listen to and trust his judgement.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (02-08-2020)

Quick Reply: PPF over Ceramic coat