Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bodyshop Recommendations in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bodyshop Recommendations in Atlanta?

Hi All... I asked this question in the Macan forum, but there is so little activity there and I didn't get any responses. My wife dinged the rear end of her 2017 Macan S, and the damage seems quite minimal. The bumper has paint damage only and the rear lift gate has a slight bend along the bottom edge as you can see in the photo. I'm hoping to pay out of pocket instead of going through our insurance, but the 2 quotes I've received from the 2 "Porsche Certified" shops in Atlanta were outrageously expensive. Both wanted around $2800, and were going to require complete disassembly and removal of the rear bumper, as well as removal and disassembly of the lift gate (pulling out the glass, wiper motor, etc.). I hate to completely pull apart the whole rear end of the car for such minor cosmetic damage. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that does quality work, but would maybe be able to sand and paint the bumper on the car and fix/paint the rear hatch without pulling it apart? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

The absolute best, IMO, is Performance in Alpharetta. Had them work on a 986S years ago, a 996TT, and my GT4 this summer. Superb job. And they have a 996GT3 out front on a turntable.

Not cheap ($16,500 for this repair) but best in town. (And $6500 of that was the wing having to be replaced because of a hairline crack.)

http://www.bodyshopatl.com/collision...xoCGaoQAvD_BwE

Now, if you just want a decent job cheap, I'd go to Classic Collision. I've used Alpharetta before but they have multiple locations.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Performance Auto Collision and Magnum Collision Center are the only places I would take my cars. Have had excellent experiences with both. Good luck!

Funny that No GA Biker beat me to it while I was typing! So there you go. Two recommendations for Performance.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtony
Performance Auto Collision and Magnum Collision Center are the only places I would take my cars. Have had excellent experiences with both. Good luck!

Funny that No GA Biker beat me to it while I was typing! So there you go. Two recommendations for Performance.
Performance is one of the places that I took it to for an estimate. I just can't believe for that amount of damage, they have to rip the entire backend apart. The labor costs were crazy.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've taken all my cars to Magnum, they've always come back perfect. Ive always heard Performance was good as well, but Magnum is very close to my office in Marietta.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have been going to Autoglo in Tucker. Ted is the man. Much less expensive than the others and very attention to detail oriented. I've been going there since a dealership wrecked my 350z back in 2004. I have had them do a z06 body conversion and complete repaint on a C6 corvette, repaint a Nissan Z31 and lots of other jobs, big and small. He also repainted the front end of my 991 after purchase to get rid of all the rock chips. If you check with him, tell him Mike G sent you. He will definitely take care of you.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd just be careful with Performance. I used them twice, once it was perfect. The second time it was a disaster...
Old 12-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

So the only two shops that are certified with Porsche, have a very similar quote, and you feel like it should be cheaper? Is that because you don’t want to pay up or because you seem to have more knowledge than the body shops? If the latter, what experience do you have versus what they have? Genuinely curious. Do you have the tooling to fix it yourself?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. You have insurance that's what you pay for. Use it !
2. I see the car came from Jim Ellis. If you have it repaired there then trade it back in there they shouldn't ding you much for the accident.
3. The removal of all the parts for repair is the proper way to fix and repaint the damage. If the bumper and lift gate aren't disassembled there is a good chance that some areas will not get sanded properly and long term the clearcoat will peel off those areas.
4. Document all damage with photos and keep the repair bill for reference when you do go to sell the car to show the future owner how minor the accident was and the extreme measures that were taken to fix the right.
5. There are no short cuts in life . Do it right the first time !

Cman21
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cman21
1. You have insurance that's what you pay for. Use it !
2. I see the car came from Jim Ellis. If you have it repaired there then trade it back in there they shouldn't ding you much for the accident.
3. The removal of all the parts for repair is the proper way to fix and repaint the damage. If the bumper and lift gate aren't disassembled there is a good chance that some areas will not get sanded properly and long term the clearcoat will peel off those areas.
4. Document all damage with photos and keep the repair bill for reference when you do go to sell the car to show the future owner how minor the accident was and the extreme measures that were taken to fix the right.
5. There are no short cuts in life . Do it right the first time !

Cman21
All valid points. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Performance does good work. But there's a team very few would know about that does work that I am genuinely and overly impressed with in terms of returning cars to original condition. Wilson's Body Shop in Conyers has repeatedly done my client's cars very very right. They aren't known as they aren't near the 400 corridor(I am eerily familiar with this lol).

Here's the skinny on them. The insurance companies/adjusters are not fans of them as they refuse to use anything but OEM parts and they price jobs to do them right(they've informed me that regardless of what people are told, it is VERY common to get non-OEM parts to appease adjusters), not to garnish leads from the insurance companies. They work for the private owners not the insurance companies and have, to date, always done what's in my client's best interest. For years I had no shop to refer work to as I always found bits I didn't like on other work and I would not put my name on a referral to such work. But I saw a number of their jobs come in here for us to install some PPF on and the work was consistently very nice.....I say this with the context that they were not attempting to impress me. I just observed and made mental bookmarks about it.

Then my lead tech needed some major body work and with him as picky as I am, he didn't know where to go. He went to WBS, told them that he was not going to be easy to please as he needed a job that was without any tell-tales of a respray. They happily said they would be sure to please him. Again, they pleased me with the caliber of the work and to this day I now refer all of my clients to them. I do not get a kick back and I don't get any favoritism from them either. This is merely me telling you who I believe to be the most qualified to give a beautiful job that is also technically sound.

Take it for what it's worth but they are the only shop in Metro-Atlanta I can put my name behind for a referral.

Quick Reply: Bodyshop Recommendations in Atlanta?