if so, i am stockpiling GT3/RS now.
same cluster as Panamera / Cayenne.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
+1
It would be like putting in a nice shiny shifter that does all the shifting for you...
Ahh manual boi chimes in. You like winding your analog watch too? Let’s go back to manual windows while we are at it! When you grow up you’ll have a PDK, preferably with a MF steering wheel.

All kidding aside, I’ll take the digital tach in a heartbeat. Wait until the platform goes hybrid or fully electric. Bad as this is, it’s peanuts compared to what coming our way...
Old 12-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
The tachometer will still be analogue. And the digital displays on either side will help with displaying various information.
herein lies my issue with that gauge layout. For the record, I am a fan of digital gauges when well done. I am also a Gen X'er who embraces technology. These gauges aren't clear. The display is great, very clear. But the screen is tremendously underutilized and not well laid out.

Unless you flip flip up the map, you know what goes on the far right screen? The time and date. Ether in the format shown or in a giant clock form. And on the left? The temperature. Unless you have assistance systems and are running them.

Tragicnwaste of of real estate. Let's dedicate half the screen to the temperature. Yes, very well laid out UI. GENIUS. I just spent a week in a loaner Panamera and I really wanted to like the new UI...but came away very underwhelmed. In addition, it is not very easy to navigate basic functions like PRESETS!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
But the screen is tremendously underutilized and not well laid out.
I think these screens are all configurable like our TFT/MFD.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I think the new digital displays look cheap and terrible. "Cool" merely because it's techy. What's the point of a digital display that is designed to EXACTLY mimic the real thing? It's like getting an Apple Watch with a Rolex face and saying it's better than a Rolex. It's nice to have SOMETHING that still looks and/or feels tactile, in a world where our eyes are constantly looking at screens. Firstly, the digital displays are pixelated, the frame rate isn't as immediate as the real thing, and it will be the FIRST thing to date a car. Go ahead, sit in a 2007 S Class with the first "ooh/ahh" digital speedo, it looks like an 80's atari game. Now go sit in a 2000 S Class, its speedo, although nothing special and not in the same realm of iconic as the classic analogue Porsche gauges (which if you're like me and stared at them since childhood, they're a priceless carry over design feature), will look perfectly fine. Tech changes so rapidly and our eyes acclimate to the newest graphics that your 2020 911 gauges will look ancient when the next gen digital display car rolls out with crisper, faster graphics, and so on and so on.

IMO nothing beats, nor is more timeless than the classic analogue gauges. But I buy 911's for timelessness and visceral connection, I couldn't care less about tech in it. If I want to go tech'd out, I'll get a Tesla.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Tesla is taking deposits for their 2 seat computer now.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:31 AM
JimHJr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Firstly, the digital displays are pixelated, the frame rate isn't as immediate as the real thing, and it will be the FIRST thing to date a car. Go ahead, sit in a 2007 S Class with the first "ooh/ahh" digital speedo, it looks like an 80's atari game.
Agreed, even the MFD on my .1 looks dated compared to the newer displays. It only took 5 years to look out of date IMO.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:52 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JimHJr
Agreed, even the MFD on my .1 looks dated compared to the newer displays. It only took 5 years to look out of date IMO.
Yep. These stupid digital displays are a corporations dream. Our 991’s will look timeless for an eternity, but our screens will be cringingly dated in just a few years from new. Now with digital displays smack dab in front of you at the gauges, the first thing your eyes will see is how old your car is via what graphics era it’s from. People will be motivated to switch cars by how tired the pixels on their digital screens look compared to what our eyes are trained to see on our latest and greatest phones.

My car car looks brand new. Aside from the archaic PCM that I simply keep in “Car” mode to show performance data.

Being that the 911 is the one car that bucks the “fad” trend, I wish they would save from throwing digital gauges in it. As you point out, the MFD graphics are already looking dated (and they were extremely high res appearing when I got my Macan in 2015). To me, the new Panny gauges don’t even look all that high res. They look like a fake/cheap imitation of the actual, real gauges in my car. I just don’t get the point. Audi’s massive digital speedo looks terrible too (like an arcade game) and lacks any of the class and authenticity that good analogue gauges bring.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:03 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Responding to original post, depends on how long you want to wait. Probably the 992 will not be that different that the 991.2. Maybe a little more power and maybe eventually some sort of hybrid? I placed an order for my 991.2 before they were out and waited six months. That was a long six months, but I was glad I waited because a lot of things offered with the 991.2 were worth the wait for me. At this point I plan on keeping my car for a long time but at lease end maybe something better comes out and I change my mind. Who knows. One things is that the 911 is a classic shape that never grows old, so if I am still driving the 991.2 in 10 or 20 years it will still be a cool car. So 991.2 or 992 are both good.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Responding to original post, depends on how long you want to wait. Probably the 992 will not be that different that the 991.2. Maybe a little more power and maybe eventually some sort of hybrid? I placed an order for my 991.2 before they were out and waited six months. That was a long six months, but I was glad I waited because a lot of things offered with the 991.2 were worth the wait for me. At this point I plan on keeping my car for a long time but at lease end maybe something better comes out and I change my mind. Who knows. One things is that the 911 is a classic shape that never grows old, so if I am still driving the 991.2 in 10 or 20 years it will still be a cool car. So 991.2 or 992 are both good.
Most people in the real world cannot tell the difference between different generations of 911s anyways!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin-Guy
Some of you guys crack me up... I for one want the new technology, I want the all digital, faster car via turbo and/or electric help, etc. It is the way of the future. Would I still like the sound of the NA, yes.... any super car now days is going to already have it, Porsche is actually behind the curve.

I'm specifically holding out on my order for the new RR Sport because it is all digital, the dash, the center console, and the controls on the steering wheel, all touch screen. Basically its like an interactive iphone and the graphics look great..
Originally Posted by Crester
The tachometer will still be analogue. And the digital displays on either side will help with displaying various information.
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
herein lies my issue with that gauge layout. For the record, I am a fan of digital gauges when well done. I am also a Gen X'er who embraces technology. These gauges aren't clear. The display is great, very clear. But the screen is tremendously underutilized and not well laid out.

Unless you flip flip up the map, you know what goes on the far right screen? The time and date. Ether in the format shown or in a giant clock form. And on the left? The temperature. Unless you have assistance systems and are running them.

Tragicnwaste of of real estate. Let's dedicate half the screen to the temperature. Yes, very well laid out UI. GENIUS. I just spent a week in a loaner Panamera and I really wanted to like the new UI...but came away very underwhelmed. In addition, it is not very easy to navigate basic functions like PRESETS!
Originally Posted by subshooter
I'm with you Austin and decaf. I'm a tech geek and don't think something is better just because it is old or analog, generally. I have a good mix of analog and digital stuff based of function as much as style. I just had a Panamera loaner for a day and while I still love the Panny, I did not like the new displays nor the feel of the new control stalks. The central console glass panel was OK, though as a pilot, I prefer all the buttons! My biggest complaint with the MFDs is the colossal waste of space. As noted, the far right display can only show you the temp. Far right? Clock or compass. May as well put in the 3 binnacle guage of the Macan/Boxster/Caymans for all the use that extra space provides. Admittedly the analog engine guages that were replaced were of limited values (at least in my Cayenne, where they are hard to see at a glance), but at least give me some options to display information on that outside space that is of use to me!

Of course, Porsche will probably update their OS and put in functionality at some point... for some stupid amount of cash to buy the update.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

With regards to the digital dashes; already people feel the need for new phones every year due to the new displays. Technology is perpetuating so fast that the days of being content with a car for most is long gone.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
There is very little content that goes in the outside “gauges”. Believe me I even downloaded the owner’s manual! If you don’t use the map, or have assistance systems running, all you get is analog clock or time / date, and temp on the other side. Very poor.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The digital tach is awful. It €™s cheaper to manufacture and program, it has nothing to do with what enthusiasts prefer.
Next you €™ll tell me that a cheep plastic Apple watch is better than my Rolex. Serving multiple purposes while being shiny doesn €™t make it better than a classy analog watch.
For everything else there €™s PS4 or XBOX.
Well the Apple will be more accurate......
Old 12-06-2017, 02:28 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I am actually not as vehemently opposed to the digital tachs as some of you are, it is the "touch" based interior compared with the last gen Panamera/Cayenne/current 991 911 that really rubs me the wrong way.... For Mission E I think it is appropriate and fine, but I don't think you have to just convert every model to that design language. Sometimes analog/buttons can be very luxurious and nice, I actually think the prior gen Cayenne/Panamera interior was much more luxurious and inspired than the current one. My favorite interior is actually the AMG GT-S, that is one amazing interior design (aside from the screen popping out in the middle). If that thing went to touch it would be a travesty

Quick Reply: 991 vs 992