Sponsored by:

991 vs 992

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Yep. These stupid digital displays are a corporations dream. Our 991’s will look timeless for an eternity, but our screens will be cringingly dated in just a few years from new. Now with digital displays smack dab in front of you at the gauges, the first thing your eyes will see is how old your car is via what graphics era it’s from. People will be motivated to switch cars by how tired the pixels on their digital screens look compared to what our eyes are trained to see on our latest and greatest phones.

My car car looks brand new. Aside from the archaic PCM that I simply keep in “Car” mode to show performance data.

Being that the 911 is the one car that bucks the “fad” trend, I wish they would save from throwing digital gauges in it. As you point out, the MFD graphics are already looking dated (and they were extremely high res appearing when I got my Macan in 2015). To me, the new Panny gauges don’t even look all that high res. They look like a fake/cheap imitation of the actual, real gauges in my car. I just don’t get the point. Audi’s massive digital speedo looks terrible too (like an arcade game) and lacks any of the class and authenticity that good analogue gauges bring.
Insightful comments here. Porsche clearly recognizes the appeal of the classic look, expressly paying homage to it on select models. To replace that timeless dial with pixels, sacrilege!

Everyone gonna pile on big time here but I think the worst thing about this is they are messing with something that really no longer has any reason to be there at all other than to provide a nice warm glow of nostalgia. I mean really, the whole reason for having that great big tachometer front and center in the first place was the early 911's made no power to speak of until just before the point where they blow up. In order to go fast you had to rev it right to the limit each and every shift. But if you weren't paying attention and kept your foot in it a little too long, sorry, you are done. Hurley Haywood (I think it was. Might have been one of the others. Bell. Redman. Whatever. They were all at Monterey telling fabulous stories, hard to keep em straight.) said he was asked by Peter Singer (I think it was) how many RPM's he's turning at the end of the Mulsanne straight. 8250 he says. "That's good. That's good." Why? "Because at 8300, it breaks." Oh. (Hey, it happens! https://jalopnik.com/5977720/auto-jo...porsche-engine ) (He asked next, how fast is that? Slide rule comes out. "You don't want to know!")

So there was a time when that big ol' tach was everything. That time began drawing to a close with rev-limiters. Now, with ruler-flat power curves making monster power from right off idle, rev-limiters, and PDK that time is well done and gone. Sorry. But it just is.

That doesn't mean it don't LOOK COOL! But that is precisely the point. If its there only to look cool, then it damn well better look cool! And being a Porsche, not just for today, but tomorrow, and for all time.

Digital just don't fit the bill.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:38 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Well, this thread got off track.
Back to the OP - my understanding is that the 992 will be released in calendar year 2019.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

My situation post interview in Dallas. I could be vaping I suppose?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
So there was a time when that big ol' tach was everything. That time began drawing to a close with rev-limiters. Now, with ruler-flat power curves making monster power from right off idle, rev-limiters, and PDK that time is well done and gone. Sorry. But it just is.
Appreciate the sentiment, but sorry its just rose coloured wrong

This is my butchers bill for the recent season (2xPcar both PDK).

Eight complete sets of tires = $16,000
six complete sets of brake pads = $4,800
four complete sets of brake rotors = $3,200
one control arm and assembly = $5,000
three wheels = $3,000
eight oil changes $1,400
eight brake fluid changes/bleeds/flush = $640
Total = $34,040
and this does not include time, wheel balancing, alignments, fuel, hex bolts, various sensors, entry fees, support and accomodation.

The point being and importantly the butchers bill does not include engines, gearboxes and diffs - largely due to the technology.

The key elements of a Porsche sports car are superior front facing and all round visibility, excellent seat - steering wheel position and rearward weight distribution allowing fast corner exits within a cohesive performance package. Tacho, oil pressure, oil temperature, water temp and tire pressure are all essential - it doesn't matter how they are served up so long as they are clear and visible.

I'm looking forward to the 992 - it'll look great and go like the clappers.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 AM
mpeterec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'm waiting on a 992 Turbo S. I have a 997 Turbo at the moment (which I'll keep until the end of time regardless of any new additions to the garage), and if I ordered a 991.2 today it would become yesterday's news in about 18 months from now. On the positive, the Porsche dealership here guaranteed me their first 992 Turbo S (gave me some "unofficial paperwork", took a deposit, etc.) as they fell short on their GT3 allocations and had to refund my deposit on that particular car. It'll be a long wait until the 992 Turbo makes its way to the forefront, and pending the option still exists (when the time comes) I'll be taking European delivery on the car as well.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Love that idea.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
This is my butchers bill for the recent season (2xPcar both PDK).

Eight complete sets of tires = $16,000
six complete sets of brake pads = $4,800
four complete sets of brake rotors = $3,200
one control arm and assembly = $5,000
three wheels = $3,000
eight oil changes $1,400
eight brake fluid changes/bleeds/flush = $640
Total = $34,040
Gee that's only 25,610 USD.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:03 PM
porsche4gts
AutoX

Originally Posted by mpeterec
Personally, I'm waiting on a 992 Turbo S. I have a 997 Turbo at the moment (which I'll keep until the end of time regardless of any new additions to the garage), and if I ordered a 991.2 today it would become yesterday's news in about 18 months from now. On the positive, the Porsche dealership here guaranteed me their first 992 Turbo S (gave me some "unofficial paperwork", took a deposit, etc.) as they fell short on their GT3 allocations and had to refund my deposit on that particular car. It'll be a long wait until the 992 Turbo makes its way to the forefront, and pending the option still exists (when the time comes) I'll be taking European delivery on the car as well.
Sounds like a good plan. Did they mention when the car will be available?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by mpeterec
This also made me remember that if I didn't get my .2 GT3 allocation, I was considering hunting for a 911 Turbo S allocation (along with a CPO 991.1 GT3)...people love to knock on that car for being too mundane but I beg to differ, it is the most capable/comfortable daily supercar on the planet IMO. I am sure the 992 Turbo will only improve on that benchmark.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:44 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
This also made me remember that if I didn't get my .2 GT3 allocation, I was considering hunting for a 911 Turbo S allocation (along with a CPO 991.1 GT3)...people love to knock on that car for being too mundane but I beg to differ, it is the most capable/comfortable daily supercar on the planet IMO. I am sure the 992 Turbo will only improve on that benchmark.
I don't think the knock is on it being "mundane". It's more like that you really can't appreciate how good it is because it is so stable and sure-footed that you have to be driving felonious speeds to get a thrill. Sure it accelerates with the best of them but there's no real "throw-you-back-in-the-seat" sensation. It just shifts so fast and smooth that you really have to look at your speedometer to get an idea of how fast you're going. "Is that really MPH and not KPH !". For me it would be a "Learn what happens when your car is seized by the local authorities" car. That's the only thing that keeps me from buying one.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I don't think the knock is on it being "mundane". It's more like that you really can't appreciate how good it is because it is so stable and sure-footed that you have to be driving felonious speeds to get a thrill. Sure it accelerates with the best of them but there's no real "throw-you-back-in-the-seat" sensation. It just shifts so fast and smooth that you really have to look at your speedometer to get an idea of how fast you're going. "Is that really MPH and not KPH !". For me it would be a "Learn what happens when your car is seized by the local authorities" car. That's the only thing that keeps me from buying one.
Sure that's fair, and likely more accurate than my words Don't want to hijack the thread but the Turbo S is a sleeper in my opinion, it's a far better car than people think because of the allure of the GT models. The only seat time I've had was when my old man had a 996 Turbo S, and that car definitely threw me back in the seat and had my intestines surging with what I sure hope was adrenaline back in the day

992 Turbo/Turbo S will be pretty sweet. Rumor is that the 992.2 generation will have the hybrid technology in some capacity, wonder if the 992.1 Turbos will follow suit with the new Panamera
Old 12-07-2017, 06:14 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
The only seat time I've had was when my old man had a 996 Turbo S, and that car definitely threw me back in the seat and had my intestines surging
I had one of those. It was an unparalleled car back then, as far as feeling of acceleration is concerned. Brutally efficient. First gear redline was on you before you knew what to do.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Gee that's only 25,610 USD.
Yep thats seriously cheap for the nuts and bolts........the point I was making - no engines or gear boxes in the mix..........the technology makes a big difference to failure rates and the overall value proposition. In point of fact, every single failure (engines, gear box, diffs - that were not related to a crash or collision) I am aware of in the events I did last season were related to NA manuals.

Last edited by randr; 12-08-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:17 AM
mpeterec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by porsche4gts
Sounds like a good plan. Did they mention when the car will be available?
They have zero in the way of dates or pricing at this time. The car is essentially nothing more than a ghost right now. On the paperwork they drafted up for me it specifically outlined that they cannot and will not guarantee dates, turnaround time once ordered, or pricing.

That in mind, production times are relatively predictable in the world of zee Germans and the 911 as a whole follows a regular enough life cycle where I can loosely assume it'll be around this time in 2019 that I'll be able to spec the car. I'll be honest, even though it's a long ways off I'm super excited for it. In the meantime I get a '15 GT3 RS next week while I'm in Vegas and my bud who had driven one previously said, "uh oh, that's going to be a problem. Once you drive that car you're going to find a way to justify buying that car." I guess we'll see what happens a week from now
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 AM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts

If you buy it (place an order) now, you have fun and a never ending smile in few weeks. If you wait until the 992, you have 1-1,5 years less fun in your life. Thats the point in my eyes.

I do not belive, that Porsche will make the 992 to have less fun than with the 991.2. It will be different for sure, IMHO an evolved 991.2.

If you do not like the 991.2, so wait. If you drive the 991.2 and it makes you smile all the time, you have already an answer

Quick Reply: 991 vs 992