Sponsored by:

911T - No lite weight glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018 | 12:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stout

Some points to consider:
  • I believe it is Gorilla Glass, which is what allowed Porsche to offer it in NA
  • Tiny (tiny!) bit of distortion around the edges (didn't bother me)
  • No rear defrost (biggest issue in my book)
  • No availability of rear wiper (non-issue for me)
  • Durability (jury may not be in for years on this point)
  • T is louder inside than Carrera; how much is the light "glass" vs. reduced sound deadening, I do not know
Boy, Pete, it's sounding more & more like you are ordering a Carrera T! Tell us, did you go with 'Gorilla Glass' or not?
Tough, yet beautiful. Inquiring minds want to know.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 02-21-2018 | 01:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Boy, Pete, it's sounding more & more like you are ordering a Carrera T! Tell us, did you go with 'Gorilla Glass' or not?
Tough, yet beautiful. Inquiring minds want to know.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Haha. I can confirm that I have not, in fact, ordered a Carrera T.

I do like it, but not sure I would order one over a Carrera or Carrera S 7MT. It doesn't drive differently enough, to me, to justify the limitations on the configurator. Sport PASM and the LSD are the biggest draw, but the limited color selection (+ no PTS) and mandatory PSE are downsides to me. If I *were* ordering a T, I would probably skip the lightweight glass if it was going to be a daily car (and it most certainly would in my case). I've always preferred functionality to bragging rights.
Old 02-21-2018 | 04:29 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

I have ordered a T. It does have the manual transmission and limited added options (only about 4% of base price of car).

It does not have a sunroof.

Mine will be a daily driver and my sole car. I currently average around 17,000 miles a year, so call me a poseur or a phillistine, but I have added back in the PCM and the rear seats. I have two daughters, so will occasionally have a small passenger in the back. For me, I opted to delete the 'trademark' lightweight glass because of the loss of the heated rear screen.
Old 02-21-2018 | 04:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
I have ordered a T. It does have the manual transmission and limited added options (only about 4% of base price of car).

Mine will be a daily driver and my sole car. I currently average around 17,000 miles a year, so call me a poseur or a phillistine, but I have added back in the PCM and the rear seats. I have two daughters, so will occasionally have a small passenger in the back. For me, I opted to delete the 'trademark' lightweight glass because of the loss of the heated rear screen.
Please deposit one dollar in the poseur jar.

Like wisky (rocks, straight, up, chilled, twist) take it how you like it. At a local gathering at the dealer there was someone checking to see if they could get it in PDK, burmeister, etc. The manual gearing is at least 50% of the value of the car IMO.
Old 02-21-2018 | 04:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

^ Well specced.
Old 02-21-2018 | 04:51 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

I agree about the manual transmission for the T. And every review I've read says do not get PDK with a T.

I also agree with not over-speccing it, as you might as well then go for a GTS.

I also agree with most reviewers who say that Porsche could have gone further with the T.

I like Henry Catchpole's idea of a T that costs less than a 'base' Carrera, with maybe 19" lighter wheels and no ability to add back in rear seats or PCM, and mandatory gorilla glass. That T would not be for me though, but would make a fun weekend car.
Old 02-21-2018 | 04:52 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by stout
^ Well specced.

Cheers, Pete.
Old 06-12-2018 | 02:23 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Does any one know how much LSD weighs?

FWIW ... https://www.wired.com/2012/09/ff-corning-gorilla-glass/

Quick Reply: 911T - No lite weight glass