718 Spyder to get GT3 engine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Seriously. While lots of GT4 owners track their cars, I have yet to hear of anyone buying it because of how it performs in competitive racing. In fact all GT cars are about the visceral feel and experience, hence why Porsche maintains N/A for reasons of pure driver enjoyment, sound, rev capability, linear band and throttle response (their literal words). They could easily stick a twin turbo in there and make gobs of power, but thatÂ’s not the point. And the hyped up GT car sales, exceeding since Carreras went turbo (GT3Â’s outsold all other .2Â’s combined in Sept and Oct) speaks as to the market rewarding Porsche for this.

We have plenty of torquey healthy powered turbo 911Â’s and 718Â’s, the GT3 and 4 will hopefully remain driver soul to car soul connection over all else.

Porsche probably could stick an N/A 3.4 with 390 HP and theyÂ’ll sell every one they can make, with demand so far outstripping supply that like every GT car, now more than ever, markups will be hefty and owners will be able to sell them for MSRP or over for years to come (just like the 981 GT4). ThereÂ’s a reason for that.
Thanks why there is a GT4 Clubsport. Which only comes with PDK I might add.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:54 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thanks why there is a GT4 Clubsport. Which only comes with PDK I might add.
The CS is hard to come by and plenty of people run in GT4 competitions using modified conventional GT4s. The current CS is engine limited and this is well understood. Moreover, depending on where you live, many sanctioned events such as road rallys, require a vehicle that was originally delivered as road registered. This is a big limiter on the use of Cup cars over here (for example).

The original intent of GT4 competition was it was going to be a low cost motorsport option - this has proven not to be the case. Doing it on the cheap for a single vehicle would cost around 250k pa for an officially sanctioned 10 round comp and it probably wouldn't be competitive.

GT cars are about motorsport - some so called purists may buy them, but the intent is motorsport. Porsche know and understand that around 70% of all GT cars are tracked and about 15% of them are run in accredited competition with accredited drivers (excluding Cup cars).

Originally Posted by subshooter
The 991.2 engine wont fit. This was one of the predominant reasons that Matthias Hofstetter (Power train Chief for the 718) gave for putting a 4 cyl in the 718 instead of the 991.2 engine..
Yes I understand this, and I think its largely to do with the positioning of intercoolers, cooling and airflow - I think it can be addressed, but the question is at what cost. Personally a detuned GT3 engine in a GT4 may appeal to some, it probably won't for those that actually run in timed events with accreditation - unless Porsche make another CS version with PDK and an engine that is not detuned (and makes it widely available).

Originally Posted by K-A
And the hyped up GT car sales, exceeding since Carreras went turbo (GT3’s outsold all other .2’s combined in Sept and Oct) speaks as to the market rewarding Porsche for this.
You do realise GT sales are around 10% of total 911 sales (if that) and that allocations of .2 have tightened (other markets being given preference).

Last edited by randr; 11-23-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:12 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be interested in the new Spyder if they put the emphasis back on weight loss like they did in the first generation car. The new Spyder only pays lip service to being lighter.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:49 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
I'd be interested in the new Spyder if they put the emphasis back on weight loss like they did in the first generation car. The new Spyder only pays lip service to being lighter.
I think all Porsche sports cars need to go on a combined size and weight diet - however, this will come with a price tag.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:20 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

To be honest, the whole Porsche's getting big and fat is a bit overblown...

Here's a review of the 997.2 GTS, they measured the curb weight at 3430
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pe-test-review

Here's the 2017 991.2 GTS, and with all the "Turbo plumbing" measured the curb weight at 3335. Almost 100 pounds lighter.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ic-test-review

It is about 4 inches longer, but that's all in the wheelbase.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:31 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Additionally, the performance gains have vastly outpaced any size/weight gains, although I do wish the 991 were a bit more svelte.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:59 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
To be honest, the whole Porsche's getting big and fat is a bit overblown...

Here's a review of the 997.2 GTS, they measured the curb weight at 3430
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pe-test-review

Here's the 2017 991.2 GTS, and with all the "Turbo plumbing" measured the curb weight at 3335. Almost 100 pounds lighter.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ic-test-review

It is about 4 inches longer, but that's all in the wheelbase.
Understood, but I didn’t say the Spyder was getting big and fat. I said I wish they focused more on saving weight (over the standard car the Boxster) as they did with the first generation Spyder. You can’t solve everything with adding power. Reducing mass has it’s own set of advantages.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

When 991.1’s came out, they advertised front and center how it was lighter than the 997. Which probably puts the .2’s standard weight somewhere around the 997. Not exactly “gaining weight” if we look at it like that, considering 997’s came out over 10 years ago.

Still, I’d certainly accept my car being lighter. But a .1 C2 is pretty light to modern standards and speaking for my own car, it does feel it. Not sure how much a 718 Boxster S weighs, but it felt like a go-kart pocket rocket to me.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:25 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
Additionally, the performance gains have vastly outpaced any size/weight gains, although I do wish the 991 were a bit more svelte.
About 5 percent smaller all around would be ideal. That would make it 168.2 in long (same the G-series 911 through the 993), 67.6 in wide (half an inch less than the 993), and 48.4 in high (two inches lower than a Cayman).

That would be one sleek 991 and most of us would easily fit in such a car.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder to get GT3 engine!