718 Spyder to get GT3 engine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
What does that mean and how do you know if it is federalized or not and how much it costs? It was an engine that was approved and passed emissions so not sure why it would be costly to keep using it.
Its not federalized because it is not currently on sale. It needs to be paid for every year. You don't just do it once. As to how much it costs it's pretty common knowledge although I do have a friend who works for a major manufacturer (not a dealer for the OEM).
Old 11-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
That ship has sailed. The factory isn't producing this engine anymore. They would have to retool and recertify again.

Huh? Porsche does this all the time. They did it with the 991.2 engine. They also did it with the 3.4 L engine (981 & Base 911). It makes perfect sense. It's not dumb at all. It's cost effective.
Those are regular engines not motorsport top of the line engine company makes. If that made sense then they can pretty much use that block on all cars across the board and save money. I guess time will tell but I see chances of 3.0 TT getting in this car are higher than the 4.0 out of GT3. If they did use a 4.0 the cost of spyder would become much higher than it has been in the past.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:58 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
Those are regular engines not motorsport top of the line engine company makes. If that made sense then they can pretty much use that block on all cars across the board and save money. I guess time will tell but I see chances of 3.0 TT getting in this car are higher than the 4.0 out of GT3. If they did use a 4.0 the cost of spyder would become much higher than it has been in the past.
The 3.0L wont fit in a Spyder's engine compartment because of the turbos. A 4.0 L NA will fit.
Agree that the cost of the Spyder will soar. So what. People will buy it. GT4/Spyder was under priced in the 981 model because Porsche did not accurately anticipate demand.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

The 3.0L wont fit in a Spyder's engine compartment because of the turbos. A 4.0 L NA will fit.
Agree that the cost of the Spyder will soar. So what. People will buy it. GT4/Spyder was under priced in the 981 model because Porsche did not accurately anticipate demand.
It may also be part of the strategy to position the Spyder as the consolation prize for those that can’t obtain the GT3 due to supply restrictions and somewhat steep price. Get a detuned GT3 engine in a nimble, mid engine configuration.

BMW is sticking a detuned S55 engine in the M2 chassis and the M2 is a lot more fun to drive than its bigger brother!
I see a pattern here!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Having had a good look at my 3ltt, I don't think the turbos are the problem - its more likely the position of the intercoolers and the capacity of the air intake. This is a placement of plastic pipes issue more than anything.

Personally, I would welcome the 3ltt in the GT4, the weight distribution will be more 488GTB like, you have torque to burn to dig you out of corners and push you up hills plus this engine will easily and reliably make 500HP and have significantly more power under the curve than any NA.

Add PDK-S and RAS and you will have a world beater. The hard core track guys will appreciate this. Given the GT badge Porsche have to hit one out of the park from the performance perspective (it is worth noting over here there are 3 times more GT4s on the used market than 981 GTS). GT cars are built to race and win - nothing else will do.

Make no mistake a car like this at the right price point will sell well particularly if you can option towards comfort or performance.

The Spyder, although clearly a great car is very much a niche car and that niche is small.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:11 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Porsche ain't gonna build anymore 3.8 just for 718 Spyder, it make zero business sense to open factory for a couple thousands cars. It would be much cheaper to use 4.0 block with cheaper components/rods. As for prices, Porsche already got us by the ***** and they know damn well we willing to pay absurd amount of money for these limited production cars. Heck, I would pay $105k for a base Spyder without options for the next Spyder. Price is not in the discussion for these type of cars. How many of you would buy 718 GT4/Spyder with starting price of $105k? I know I would and a lot of guys in GT4/Boxster forum would too. $20k increase from the 981 Spyder is more than enough profit to put a 4.0 inside the 718.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:30 PM
randr
Banned

I think the market may have changed given the GT3 is now available in manual - that small niche can be satiated. If the GT4 is compromised from a performance point of view it wouldn't interest me - its a competition class, it has to be able to compete.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
I think the market may have changed given the GT3 is now available in manual - that small niche can be satiated. If the GT4 is compromised from a performance point of view it wouldn't interest me - its a competition class, it has to be able to compete.
no it won't. They will sell every one with ADM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 PM
randr
Banned

They might in the US, they won't over here. Furthermore it will be very dependant on its capabilities. The GT4 has to be able to compete as a GT4 and the goal posts have moved a lot.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:54 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Any N/A in the next GT4 is enough for me to buy it without thinking, as long as I can get it at MSRP (it'll be worth well more than its markup in the future, so resale isn't even a concern as long as it has an N/A, even if it DOESN'T have a GT3 N/A.... but I just can't pay over MSRP for anything).

But an actual GT motor in it?? Those things will be impossible to secure without being insanely in with a Porsche dealer and/or paying massively over sticker.

Good thing is it can bring a temporary dip on 981 GT4 prices.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:55 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Honestly, the market in America alone would be able to buy ALL of the GT4 and Spyder. American have an appetite for sport cars with stock market reaching 24k, there are a lot of silly monies flying around nowadays.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:52 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Honestly, the market in America alone would be able to buy ALL of the GT4 and Spyder. American have an appetite for sport cars with stock market reaching 24k, there are a lot of silly monies flying around nowadays.
The stock market may well be at 24k but it may well be a bubble

Also you aren't prepared to pay what the rest of the world is prepared to pay - in terms of market size the Americas are behind SE Asia - and here you will pay twice US prices. Guess where the allocations are going in the future (and indeed have started to do so).

Bottom line is you may have the appetite but you don't have the wallets (or rather, are perhaps disinclined to open them).
Old 11-23-2017, 07:50 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Having had a good look at my 3ltt, I don't think the turbos are the problem - its more likely the position of the intercoolers and the capacity of the air intake. This is a placement of plastic pipes issue more than anything.

Personally, I would welcome the 3ltt in the GT4, the weight distribution will be more 488GTB like, you have torque to burn to dig you out of corners and push you up hills plus this engine will easily and reliably make 500HP and have significantly more power under the curve than any NA.

Add PDK-S and RAS and you will have a world beater. The hard core track guys will appreciate this. Given the GT badge Porsche have to hit one out of the park from the performance perspective (it is worth noting over here there are 3 times more GT4s on the used market than 981 GTS). GT cars are built to race and win - nothing else will do.

Make no mistake a car like this at the right price point will sell well particularly if you can option towards comfort or performance.

The Spyder, although clearly a great car is very much a niche car and that niche is small.
They might in the US, they won't over here. Furthermore it will be very dependant on its capabilities. The GT4 has to be able to compete as a GT4 and the goal posts have moved a lot.
You talk as though the GT4 is a race car. I'm not familiar with Australia, but surely people don't buy GT4s and race them, no? Any more than GT3 is a race car. These are homologation cars that have race cars built from them. So sure, if the GT4 Clubsport is not competitive, it won't sell to racers. But that would have zero impact on sales of GT4 street car, just like poor RSR results don't tank Carrera sales, or even GT3RS sales. If somebody wants to race a street Cayman, they start with a cheap Cayman and build a race car or they buy a Clubsport for GT4 series; they don't start with a street GT4.

But you know all of this, so I don't know what point you're trying to make about the GT4 suddenly needing to be competitive in some race class. They sold like hot cakes with ADM on every unit (at least in US) in 2016. The fact there's a faster Mustang or Camaro or M4 or whatever in 2018 isn't going to tank GT4 sales. There were faster all-of-the-above in 2016 too.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:43 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Having had a good look at my 3ltt, I don't think the turbos are the problem - its more likely the position of the intercoolers and the capacity of the air intake. This is a placement of plastic pipes issue more than anything. Air flow is an issues which is why the 3.8L engine is making 15hp less in the GT4/Spyder than the 991.2S.
The 991.2 engine wont fit. This was one of the predominant reasons that Matthias Hofstetter (Power train Chief for the 718) gave for putting a 4 cyl in the 718 instead of the 991.2 engine. Here is the article: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/4-r...our-pot-power/

Economically (and from a business perspective) it would make sense if Porsche could just use the same engine from the 911 in the 718 (albeit significantly detuned). It may not have made sense from a marketing strategy though.

I see only two engine options for a couple thousand cars for the Spyder. The 4 Cylinder Turbo with more power or the detuned GT3 engine. That's it. Since the GT4 is getting an NA engine, it seems almost a sure thing that both will be getting the GT3 engine. It's a good business move for Porsche.

I agree.....and I recall that Spyder sales are much less than GT4 sales. A Spyder is a rare beast.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:46 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
You talk as though the GT4 is a race car. I'm not familiar with Australia, but surely people don't buy GT4s and race them, no? Any more than GT3 is a race car. These are homologation cars that have race cars built from them. So sure, if the GT4 Clubsport is not competitive, it won't sell to racers. But that would have zero impact on sales of GT4 street car, just like poor RSR results don't tank Carrera sales, or even GT3RS sales. If somebody wants to race a street Cayman, they start with a cheap Cayman and build a race car or they buy a Clubsport for GT4 series; they don't start with a street GT4.

But you know all of this, so I don't know what point you're trying to make about the GT4 suddenly needing to be competitive in some race class. They sold like hot cakes with ADM on every unit (at least in US) in 2016. The fact there's a faster Mustang or Camaro or M4 or whatever in 2018 isn't going to tank GT4 sales. There were faster all-of-the-above in 2016 too.
Seriously. While lots of GT4 owners track their cars, I have yet to hear of anyone buying it because of how it performs in competitive racing. In fact all GT cars are about the visceral feel and experience, hence why Porsche maintains N/A for reasons of pure driver enjoyment, sound, rev capability, linear band and throttle response (their literal words). They could easily stick a twin turbo in there and make gobs of power, but that’s not the point. And the hyped up GT car sales, exceeding since Carreras went turbo (GT3’s outsold all other .2’s combined in Sept and Oct) speaks as to the market rewarding Porsche for this.

We have plenty of torquey healthy powered turbo 911’s and 718’s, the GT3 and 4 will hopefully remain driver soul to car soul connection over all else.

Porsche probably could stick an N/A 3.4 with 390 HP and they’ll sell every one they can make, with demand so far outstripping supply that like every GT car, now more than ever, markups will be hefty and owners will be able to sell them for MSRP or over for years to come (just like the 981 GT4). There’s a reason for that.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder to get GT3 engine!