Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Techart wing, difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:45 AM
bambino911s
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Install Techart wing, difficult?

Goodmorning! I have been doing some research on the installation of the Techart fixed wing and would like to get expert opinions (fellow rennlisters) as how difficult is it to install it. I have a friend that has a body shop that could potentially do it but then I have to take it to the dealership to reset the codes or should I just have the dealership install and reset all at the same time? It’s a 15’ C2s. This is the wing I just bought from Seat23
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150771987.html

thanks guys in advance
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Dont have the dealer install it, they'll charge you an arm and a leg. Only use them for the programming. Self install isn't too difficult, but getting it aligned properly is kind of a pain, so having a body shop do it would be money well spent.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I installed mine. With help. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...ts-coup-5.html You will absolutely need four hands. You can get a PDF of the instructions from TechArt. If you can't, send me your email in a p.m. and I will send you a copy. They are translated from German and not always very clear but the photographs help. The dealership does not reset the codes but they do reset the BCM to tell the car it has a fixed spoiler. Code is correct. Getting it aligned properly is difficult. We had to cut and grind away pieces of the base of the wing to get it to sit flush. Make sure you tape off your car so that you do not scratch things during the install.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Two items of advice. Once you remove the factory spoiler from the lifting mechanism, lower it and disconnect it. If you don't want to do this, DONT drive over 70 mph until the dealer has reprogrammed your car.

the third brake light instructions are terrible and difficult to understand. Use the wire that runs to the light in the grill, not the one that is visible when the factory spoiler is raised.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:53 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

9ELOVIN and Homeles both have it nailed. I'm in process of installing the TechArt Type II spoiler on my cab. The spoiler is at the paint shop. A couple points so far:
- Follow the advise of both posts above.
- The level of disassembly is minor. This happened before I had the instructions...I removed far too many parts, but in the end I like to tinker so no worries there.
- Tape off your peripheral body work around the stock spoiler as Homeles says, especially where left and right rear fenders meet the spoiler. Its very easy to nick an edge or two during mock-up. Ask me how I learned...
- Third brake light instructions are lousy - get help here if you are not sure.
- The spoiler fit like a glove; no cutting, grinding, etc. I'm not using the vertical extensions due to the application on a cabriolet (overall height has to remain low for retractable roof to operate correctly).
- In the end you will need the dealer PIWIS to recode BCM so stock motors do not operate.
- I ordered the unit from Sean at Tag MotorSports. He was extremely helpful and as well sent a .pdf depicting interpretable instructions when I had about 95% of the install figured out. The spoiler, btw, delivered w/o any instructions. Pkg arrived from Germany in less than one week. Last week Tag was running a sale as well. Disclosure: I have no affiliation with Tag other than I'm a customer.
OK to PM me as well if you need a copy of the instructions. Installation is more fun and straight forward than you think. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Paulnet
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 9ELOVIN, your car is so nice! Really love your detailed post of all your mods and the wonderful pictures. I just wonder why you would need to cut and grind the spoiler, as I thought the product is already designed in precision and would be the exact fit.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Paulnet
AutoX

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
I installed mine. With help. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...ts-coup-5.html You will absolutely need four hands. You can get a PDF of the instructions from TechArt. If you can't, send me your email in a p.m. and I will send you a copy. They are translated from German and not always very clear but the photographs help. The dealership does not reset the codes but they do reset the BCM to tell the car it has a fixed spoiler. Code is correct. Getting it aligned properly is difficult. We had to cut and grind away pieces of the base of the wing to get it to sit flush. Make sure you tape off your car so that you do not scratch things during the install.
Definitely go for the wing btw, especially after seeing your cars. You can't even know your stock spoiler is deployed or not!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:26 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulnet
Hi 9ELOVIN, your car is so nice! Really love your detailed post of all your mods and the wonderful pictures. I just wonder why you would need to cut and grind the spoiler, as I thought the product is already designed in precision and would be the exact fit.
​​​​​​"Exact fit" maybe a relative term. We simply could not get the base of the wing to sit flush with the car until it had been trimmed. We did that by grinding away portions of the underside.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:27 AM
driven996
Track Day

I have a TA spoiler, every time I drive above 70 the interior light goes on and tears spoiler loss... the interior spoiler light does not go on when I press the spoiler button. annoying... I purchased the car with it. What options do I have other than going to the dealer to reset it? If I keep driving it above 70 miles can it harm the computer/Ecu, car or others.
Does the mechanism to lower the spoiler under the techart spoiler? How do I take the spoiler off in order to change the filter? As you know the bumper has to be removed. The TA fixes spoiler cover the center bumper screws.

Thoights?

Originally Posted by Homeles
Two items of advice. Once you remove the factory spoiler from the lifting mechanism, lower it and disconnect it. If you don't want to do this, DONT drive over 70 mph until the dealer has reprogrammed your car.

the third brake light instructions are terrible and difficult to understand. Use the wire that runs to the light in the grill, not the one that is visible when the factory spoiler is raised.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Get the dealer to reprogram! Unless the previous owner dissconected the lifting motor, it’s working to raise the factory spoiler.

By prying out the third brake light, you’ll see the 4? screws. Remove these and the 2 under the engine cover and it’s off. Just remember to unplug the brake light.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 PM
driven996
Track Day

Get the dealer to reprogram! Unless the previous owner dissconected the lifting motor, it’s working to raise the factory spoiler.

By prying out the third brake light, you’ll see the 4? screws. Remove these and the 2 under the engine cover and it’s off. Just remember to unplug the brake light.
IDK how I missed this from you, but thanks a ton. I have been trying to remove it for months now. I purchased a stock spoiler for it as well. I am taking it off bc I want to change the air filters,
I have a boat load of questions for you:
1) The screws behind the 3rd brake light actually hold the spoiler down? I am afraid I will break the 3rd brake light during the removal.
2) How much did it cost to paint the base of the spoiler? My top wing is carbon fiber, so I dont need that painted.
3)Any special instructions as I put the stock spoiler or even the TA spoiler back on?
4) Are you able o open the engine cover all the way up with the TA spoiler, I have to take the wing off to get to it. I assume I am missing the extenders?
5)Moving on have a hissing sound so that needs to be diagnosed, it might be the Air Oil Separator or the vacuum pump. Have you had any of these things replaced?

Once I put the oil spoiler back, I will discover if the “spoiler loss” msg goes away above 70 MPH.

Moving on, I knew I wanted a 991.1S when I saw your car with those plates back in 2015 @ the Sheraton in Durum in the valet area and then I purchased one J I have a picture of your beautiful somewhere as well.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eyebrakel8
Did you also do something to the front bumper for aero? Can you post pics?

Yup. Also has the TA lip. Handles a lot better at speed with this.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by driven996
IDK how I missed this from you, but thanks a ton. I have been trying to remove it for months now. I purchased a stock spoiler for it as well. I am taking it off bc I want to change the air filters,
I have a boat load of questions for you:
1) The screws behind the 3rd brake light actually hold the spoiler down? I am afraid I will break the 3rd brake light during the removal.
It's a "Press Fit" Use a small bladed screw driver covered with tape and pry it out.
2) How much did it cost to paint the base of the spoiler? My top wing is carbon fiber, so I dont need that painted.
Cost me $600 to paint the entire wing and install
3)Any special instructions as I put the stock spoiler or even the TA spoiler back on?
Can't help you with this as I've never removed mine other than to change the air filters.
4) Are you able o open the engine cover all the way up with the TA spoiler, I have to take the wing off to get to it. I assume I am missing the extenders?
No problem opening the rear engine cover
5)Moving on have a hissing sound so that needs to be diagnosed, it might be the Air Oil Separator or the vacuum pump. Have you had any of these things replaced?
No
Once I put the oil spoiler back, I will discover if the “spoiler loss” msg goes away above 70 MPH.
I don't know. Had mine reprogrammed by the dealer after install.
Moving on, I knew I wanted a 991.1S when I saw your car with those plates back in 2015 @ the Sheraton in Durum in the valet area and then I purchased one J I have a picture of your beautiful somewhere as well.
Thank You
Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eyebrakel8
Is this your car? It looks fantastic but I was sure I read something about you having a Powerkit which has a 3rd radiator. I new to Porsche so still learning though.
That's an early pic. Right after I added the TA parts
Old 05-03-2018, 08:08 PM
driven996
Track Day

Thank You
I have no experience of a 991 without the TA spoiler. Does it handle better or worst with it at high speed/fast corners? Or is it a wash?

Quick Reply: Install Techart wing, difficult?