Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Install Techart wing, difficult?

 
Old 11-21-2017, 11:45 AM
  #1  
bambino911s
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sunny Ol' Florida
Posts: 71
Default Install Techart wing, difficult?

Goodmorning! I have been doing some research on the installation of the Techart fixed wing and would like to get expert opinions (fellow rennlisters) as how difficult is it to install it. I have a friend that has a body shop that could potentially do it but then I have to take it to the dealership to reset the codes or should I just have the dealership install and reset all at the same time? It’s a 15’ C2s. This is the wing I just bought from Seat23
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150771987.html

thanks guys in advance
bambino911s is offline  
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 PM
  #2  
Code
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,270
Default

Dont have the dealer install it, they'll charge you an arm and a leg. Only use them for the programming. Self install isn't too difficult, but getting it aligned properly is kind of a pain, so having a body shop do it would be money well spent.
Code is offline  
Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM
  #3  
9ELOVIN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
9ELOVIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 327
Default

I installed mine. With help. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...ts-coup-5.html You will absolutely need four hands. You can get a PDF of the instructions from TechArt. If you can't, send me your email in a p.m. and I will send you a copy. They are translated from German and not always very clear but the photographs help. The dealership does not reset the codes but they do reset the BCM to tell the car it has a fixed spoiler. Code is correct. Getting it aligned properly is difficult. We had to cut and grind away pieces of the base of the wing to get it to sit flush. Make sure you tape off your car so that you do not scratch things during the install.
9ELOVIN is offline  
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM
  #4  
Homeles
User
 
Homeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 1,398
Default

Two items of advice. Once you remove the factory spoiler from the lifting mechanism, lower it and disconnect it. If you don't want to do this, DONT drive over 70 mph until the dealer has reprogrammed your car.

the third brake light instructions are terrible and difficult to understand. Use the wire that runs to the light in the grill, not the one that is visible when the factory spoiler is raised.
Homeles is offline  
Old 11-22-2017, 01:53 AM
  #5  
911.Forever
User
 
911.Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay Area & Scottsdale
Posts: 236
Default

9ELOVIN and Homeles both have it nailed. I'm in process of installing the TechArt Type II spoiler on my cab. The spoiler is at the paint shop. A couple points so far:
- Follow the advise of both posts above.
- The level of disassembly is minor. This happened before I had the instructions...I removed far too many parts, but in the end I like to tinker so no worries there.
- Tape off your peripheral body work around the stock spoiler as Homeles says, especially where left and right rear fenders meet the spoiler. Its very easy to nick an edge or two during mock-up. Ask me how I learned...
- Third brake light instructions are lousy - get help here if you are not sure.
- The spoiler fit like a glove; no cutting, grinding, etc. I'm not using the vertical extensions due to the application on a cabriolet (overall height has to remain low for retractable roof to operate correctly).
- In the end you will need the dealer PIWIS to recode BCM so stock motors do not operate.
- I ordered the unit from Sean at Tag MotorSports. He was extremely helpful and as well sent a .pdf depicting interpretable instructions when I had about 95% of the install figured out. The spoiler, btw, delivered w/o any instructions. Pkg arrived from Germany in less than one week. Last week Tag was running a sale as well. Disclosure: I have no affiliation with Tag other than I'm a customer.
OK to PM me as well if you need a copy of the instructions. Installation is more fun and straight forward than you think. Good luck!
911.Forever is offline  
Old 11-26-2017, 09:10 AM
  #6  
Paulnet
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 10
Default

Hi 9ELOVIN, your car is so nice! Really love your detailed post of all your mods and the wonderful pictures. I just wonder why you would need to cut and grind the spoiler, as I thought the product is already designed in precision and would be the exact fit.
Paulnet is offline  
Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 AM
  #7  
Paulnet
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN View Post
I installed mine. With help. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...ts-coup-5.html You will absolutely need four hands. You can get a PDF of the instructions from TechArt. If you can't, send me your email in a p.m. and I will send you a copy. They are translated from German and not always very clear but the photographs help. The dealership does not reset the codes but they do reset the BCM to tell the car it has a fixed spoiler. Code is correct. Getting it aligned properly is difficult. We had to cut and grind away pieces of the base of the wing to get it to sit flush. Make sure you tape off your car so that you do not scratch things during the install.
Definitely go for the wing btw, especially after seeing your cars. You can't even know your stock spoiler is deployed or not!
Paulnet is offline  
Old 11-26-2017, 12:26 PM
  #8  
9ELOVIN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
9ELOVIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 327
Default

Originally Posted by Paulnet View Post
Hi 9ELOVIN, your car is so nice! Really love your detailed post of all your mods and the wonderful pictures. I just wonder why you would need to cut and grind the spoiler, as I thought the product is already designed in precision and would be the exact fit.
​​​​​​"Exact fit" maybe a relative term. We simply could not get the base of the wing to sit flush with the car until it had been trimmed. We did that by grinding away portions of the underside.
9ELOVIN is offline  
Old 01-16-2018, 03:27 AM
  #9  
driven996
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 19
Default


I have a TA spoiler, every time I drive above 70 the interior light goes on and tears spoiler loss... the interior spoiler light does not go on when I press the spoiler button. annoying... I purchased the car with it. What options do I have other than going to the dealer to reset it? If I keep driving it above 70 miles can it harm the computer/Ecu, car or others.
Does the mechanism to lower the spoiler under the techart spoiler? How do I take the spoiler off in order to change the filter? As you know the bumper has to be removed. The TA fixes spoiler cover the center bumper screws.

Thoights?


Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
Two items of advice. Once you remove the factory spoiler from the lifting mechanism, lower it and disconnect it. If you don't want to do this, DONT drive over 70 mph until the dealer has reprogrammed your car.

the third brake light instructions are terrible and difficult to understand. Use the wire that runs to the light in the grill, not the one that is visible when the factory spoiler is raised.
driven996 is offline  
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 AM
  #10  
Homeles
User
 
Homeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 1,398
Default

Get the dealer to reprogram! Unless the previous owner dissconected the lifting motor, it’s working to raise the factory spoiler.

By prying out the third brake light, you’ll see the 4? screws. Remove these and the 2 under the engine cover and it’s off. Just remember to unplug the brake light.
Homeles is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 PM
  #11  
driven996
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
Get the dealer to reprogram! Unless the previous owner dissconected the lifting motor, it’s working to raise the factory spoiler.

By prying out the third brake light, you’ll see the 4? screws. Remove these and the 2 under the engine cover and it’s off. Just remember to unplug the brake light.
IDK how I missed this from you, but thanks a ton. I have been trying to remove it for months now. I purchased a stock spoiler for it as well. I am taking it off bc I want to change the air filters,
I have a boat load of questions for you:
1) The screws behind the 3rd brake light actually hold the spoiler down? I am afraid I will break the 3rd brake light during the removal.
2) How much did it cost to paint the base of the spoiler? My top wing is carbon fiber, so I dont need that painted.
3)Any special instructions as I put the stock spoiler or even the TA spoiler back on?
4) Are you able o open the engine cover all the way up with the TA spoiler, I have to take the wing off to get to it. I assume I am missing the extenders?
5)Moving on have a hissing sound so that needs to be diagnosed, it might be the Air Oil Separator or the vacuum pump. Have you had any of these things replaced?

Once I put the oil spoiler back, I will discover if the “spoiler loss” msg goes away above 70 MPH.

Moving on, I knew I wanted a 991.1S when I saw your car with those plates back in 2015 @ the Sheraton in Durum in the valet area and then I purchased one J I have a picture of your beautiful somewhere as well.
driven996 is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 PM
  #12  
Homeles
User
 
Homeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 1,398
Default

Originally Posted by eyebrakel8 View Post
Did you also do something to the front bumper for aero? Can you post pics?

Yup. Also has the TA lip. Handles a lot better at speed with this.
Homeles is offline  
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 AM
  #13  
Homeles
User
 
Homeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 1,398
Default

Originally Posted by driven996 View Post
IDK how I missed this from you, but thanks a ton. I have been trying to remove it for months now. I purchased a stock spoiler for it as well. I am taking it off bc I want to change the air filters,
I have a boat load of questions for you:
1) The screws behind the 3rd brake light actually hold the spoiler down? I am afraid I will break the 3rd brake light during the removal.
It's a "Press Fit" Use a small bladed screw driver covered with tape and pry it out.
2) How much did it cost to paint the base of the spoiler? My top wing is carbon fiber, so I dont need that painted.
Cost me $600 to paint the entire wing and install
3)Any special instructions as I put the stock spoiler or even the TA spoiler back on?
Can't help you with this as I've never removed mine other than to change the air filters.
4) Are you able o open the engine cover all the way up with the TA spoiler, I have to take the wing off to get to it. I assume I am missing the extenders?
No problem opening the rear engine cover
5)Moving on have a hissing sound so that needs to be diagnosed, it might be the Air Oil Separator or the vacuum pump. Have you had any of these things replaced?
No
Once I put the oil spoiler back, I will discover if the “spoiler loss” msg goes away above 70 MPH.
I don't know. Had mine reprogrammed by the dealer after install.
Moving on, I knew I wanted a 991.1S when I saw your car with those plates back in 2015 @ the Sheraton in Durum in the valet area and then I purchased one J I have a picture of your beautiful somewhere as well.
Thank You
Homeles is offline  
Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 AM
  #14  
Homeles
User
 
Homeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 1,398
Default

Originally Posted by eyebrakel8 View Post
Is this your car? It looks fantastic but I was sure I read something about you having a Powerkit which has a 3rd radiator. I new to Porsche so still learning though.
That's an early pic. Right after I added the TA parts
Homeles is offline  
Old 05-03-2018, 08:08 PM
  #15  
driven996
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by Homeles View Post
Thank You
I have no experience of a 991 without the TA spoiler. Does it handle better or worst with it at high speed/fast corners? Or is it a wash?
driven996 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Install Techart wing, difficult?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: