Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Roadside Assistance - Awesome experience!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Roadside Assistance - Awesome experience!

Quite a day... While driving, I hit a large metal object (I believe it was the cap/plug of a fire hydrant). It was bright out and I didn't see it on the road, although I definitely heard and felt it when I hit it, Fortunately, I was only going 25-30 mph.

Immediately, my display warned tire pressure was low in the front right tire. I could see it dropping quickly, so pulled into a parking lot.

I got out expecting my HRE to be trashed. I could hear air hissing through a large tear in the tire’s sidewall. Thankfully, the wheel itself and the rest of the car looked to be in good shape.

I called my local dealer (who is fantastic) and they told me to call Porsche Roadside assistance at 1-800-PORSCHE to set up a flat bed.

The whole process was excellent (except the fact I had a flat). Roadside Assistance quickly identified my location, took details about my car and had a flat bed truck in process in under 10 minutes.

It did take a bit for the truck to arrive (~45 minutes), which actually worked out well.

My HRE's are 21’s, not the stock 20”, resulting in a non-standard tire size. The 21” Pirellis were on 3-4 month backorder when I bought the car earlier this year, so I ordered extra tires JIC. Was a GREAT decision, as I already had the extra tire.

While waiting for the flat bed, I hopped an Uber to my house, picked up the tire, and returned to my car just in time to meet the flat bed.

Reeve’s Porsche in Tampa was ready and waiting when I arrived. They had the new tire mounted and balanced in under an hour.

No damage to the wheel itself and everything else checked out fine.

Other than the cost of the new tire I had already purchased, I only had to pay ~$60 out of pocket (plus a tip to the helpful gent who drove the flatbed) ... what a bargain!

Certainly not the greatest day, but I can not complain!

Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
Quite a day... While driving, I hit a large metal object (I believe it was the cap/plug of a fire hydrant). It was bright out and I didn't see it on the road, although I definetly heard and felt it when I hit it, Fortunately, I was only going 25-30 mph.

Immediately, my display warned tire pressure was low in the front right tire. I could see it dropping quickly, so pulled into a parking lot.

I got out expecting my HRE to be trashed. I could hear air hissing through a large tear in the tire’s sidewall. Thankfully, the wheel itself and the rest of the car looked to be in good shape.

I called my local dealer (who is fantastic) and they told me to call Porsche Roadside assistance at 1-800-PORSCHE to set up a flat bed.

The whole process was excellent (except the fact I had a flat). Roadside Assistance quickly identified my location, took details about my car and had a flat bed truck in process in under 10 minutes.

It did take a bit for the truck to arrive (~45 minutes), which actually worked out well.

My HRE's are 21’s, not the stock 20”, resulting in a non-standard tire size. The 21” Pirellis were on 3-4 month backorder when I bought the car earlier this year, so I ordered extra tires JIC. Was a GREAT decision, as I already had the extra tire.

While waiting for the flat bed, I hopped an Uber to my house, picked up the tire, and returned to my car just in time to meet the flat bed.

Reeve’s Porsche in Tampa was ready and waiting when I arrived. They had the new tire mounted and balanced in under an hour.

No damage to the wheel itself and everything else checked out fine.

Other than the cost of the new tire I had already purchased, I only had to pay ~$60 out of pocket (plus a tip to the helpful gent who drove the flatbed) ... what a bargain!

Certainly not the greatest day, but I can not complain!

Great outcome and excellent planning when you bought the spare tires. What could have been a total pita seems like a non event except for the loss of the damaged tire.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:17 AM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad the roadside assistance was so quick. Both of my experiences have been much slower.

I've had bad luck with 2 nasty potholes in the last 9 months resulting in flats requiring roadside assistance in my Cayman GTS. The first one was about 8:30 am on a Saturday morning; it took 2.5 hours for the flatbed to arrive. The 2nd one was this last Saturday about 11 am; this time it took about 90 minutes for the flatbed to arrive (which admittedly was an hour faster than the 2.5 hours they had estimated.) The first incident was in the city limits of San Francisco, the 2nd was right on the border of Alameda/Oakland, so it's not like I was miles away from a tow truck.

One the flat beds arrived, they were helpful and professional. I won't complain about that. The driver this last weekend, though, made fun of me when I asked to be dropped off at the BART station. "You're all used to driving around in a Porsche, and now you have to take BART? Haha." I wasn't that amused. (I actually take BART all the time, for what it's worth.)

I've had 3 flats in the last year - I also had picked up a screw in one tire, resulting in leak that lost a few pounds a day - no need to flatbed it in. The tire/wheel insurance I bought has paid off in spades!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

good to know, hope I don't have to use it...
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Porsche Roadside Assistance can be used for a flat? I just assumed it was only for any mechanical failures and not for non-warranty type issues.

I would never have thought to call them for a flat.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

While waiting for run flats to be just as good my plan is -

1 Porsche Assistance
2 AAA
3 insurance roadside assistance

Call all three and take best option.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Class move tipping the flatbed driver! You made his day.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Porsche Roadside Assistance can be used for a flat? I just assumed it was only for any mechanical failures and not for non-warranty type issues.

I would never have thought to call them for a flat.
My thoughts exactly, I was shocked when my dealer asked me to call them. I was truly expecting them to either send a flat bed (and charge me) or provide the number of a flat bed service to deal with directly.

I would perhaps have expected this with a special tire warranty, but I didn't sign up for this.

Definitely made my day give the circumstances.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Class move tipping the flatbed driver! You made his day.
Thanks LexVan. It's clear from your comment you get it.

After working in the service industry growing up, I realize how something not so big to us today can be meaningful for the great folks making the world go round. (And usually brings even better service in the future as well... Win, win!)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:29 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So you have a new tire on one side and an used from "earlier this year" on the other? I assume you didn't do many miles since then...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Originally Posted by 911seeker
So you have a new tire on one side and an used from "earlier this year" on the other? I assume you didn't do many miles since then...
I have ~4,000 miles on them. Other than short bursts of spirited acceleration they are all local, non-highway and non-track. I thought the same and considered putting both fronts on as I have a full set.

Interested in others feedback as well if I should still consider this. Tread looks pretty good on the existing.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I have ~4,000 miles on them. Other than short bursts of spirited acceleration they are all local, non-highway and non-track. I thought the same and considered putting both fronts on as I have a full set.

Interested in others feedback as well if I should still consider this. Tread looks pretty good on the existing.
I wouldn't worry about it. 4,000 miles on a front tire is about 1/32 of wear.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks LexVan. It's clear from your comment you get it.

After working in the service industry growing up, I realize how something not so big to us today can be meaningful for the great folks making the world go round. (And usually brings even better service in the future as well... Win, win!)
I've also tipped my flatbed driver $20 or so - each time they've gone at least a few blocks out of the way to drop me off. Plus they have my car strapped to the back of their vehicle... $20 seems like a cheap bit of extra insurance!

For those of you surprised at using roadside assistance for a flat - without a spare in car, what would you do if you get a puncture large enough that the tire can't hold air? This has convinced me that when my Porsche roadside assistance runs out, I need to make sure I have AAA or roadside assistance on my car insurance - not sure what else you can do without a spare!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mallocfailure

For those of you surprised at using roadside assistance for a flat - without a spare in car, what would you do if you get a puncture large enough that the tire can't hold air? This has convinced me that when my Porsche roadside assistance runs out, I need to make sure I have AAA or roadside assistance on my car insurance - not sure what else you can do without a spare!
I always assumed you should use the compressor and the gunk they factory fit in the car. If they expect you to call assistance, why put the "spare equipment" in the car.

Anyway, my Plan was always AAA but if Porsche assist works, all good!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
While waiting for run flats to be just as good my plan is -

1 Porsche Assistance
2 AAA
3 insurance roadside assistance

Call all three and take best option.
I'm not waiting for run-flats to get to "good" by anyone's definition.
Plus one on the three road assistance plans.

Quick Reply: Porsche Roadside Assistance - Awesome experience!