Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Tesla Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:35 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
^^^ No one is hating, the point being made is heavy cars can handle OK for short periods - at the end of the day weight + physics overwhelm the tires even after a relatively short period of time. The reality is Tesla and the Elon fan club choose to selectively play the numbers games e.g. 0-60, fastest car in the world etc.

However, when tested in a performance context they are found wanting e.g. Car and Driver. In the latter instance Car and Driver were heavily criticised for not running the S in its Lightning Lap series - so in the end they did and the outcome was poor. All of this was entirely predictable (heavy cars are never good round a circuit and EVs have to pull a massive current to move so much weight at track speeds) - needless to say this caused a Tesla fan club melt down.
The limitation of the Model S and all EVs in a track environment is cooling of the battery. Once the battery starts getting over 50degC, they have to start derating the power to keep from overheating the battery. Overheating the battery will reduce battery life best case, or cause the batteries to catch fire worst case.

I'm not seeing a lot of front-end open area for cooling on the Roadster, so I'm not feeling confident the Roadster would last more than a few minutes on a road course before derating the power. The ability to cool the battery also determines how fast it can be charged.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 AM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fan boy. that's funny. But you can't deny the company took on a huge challenge and largely delivered. I was just pointing out that everyone wasn't really giving Tesla a fair shake- they keep delivering on building interesting products, even if they're often late. I'm just as curious as the next person to see if they'll survive long enough to build this new roadster but I suspect they will.

For those that keep saying that the jump to 60 in a model S is silent or quiet, have clearly never ridden in one. The couple of times I've done a ludicrous mode launch was pretty violent. No exhaust noise but a lot of electric motor whine, and tire noise, and just massive locomotive-like acceleration. I wouldn't call it quiet. yeah maybe I'm exaggerating the cornering capability but Model S, for it's size and mission, corners pretty well, and I suspect a purpose built second generation sports car will also do well in its class. To be fair, I did point out the problem with running on the track with a tesla by the way.

as a car enthusiast I'm very impressed with the cars and the engineering that goes into them.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:22 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
No, no they don't. That's not how weight works for cornering.

"Weight hurts cornering" is a variant of the common sense "heavy things fall faster." It's intuitive, but that's not how the physics works..
Gus it was a generalisation - momentum is a wonderful thing (p = mass x velocity ) as are brakes that shift velocity to heat (to go from speed X to speed Y results in a loss of KE in the form of heat - the brakes turn this into heat e.g. KE=1/2mv^2).

Thus, you can't take mass out of the equation either figuratively or literally

In the most simplistic sense, heavy cars end up putting large amounts of heat in to the tires, which in turn over heat and eat themselves. As they heat, beyond a certain point the coefficient of friction decreases at the contact patch and boom game over - this occurs as a function of braking and turning. . It happens far more quickly with heavy cars than light cars tires being equal.

I did enjoy you line on animists The said person should invest in spirit catchers to further enhance the experience and elevate the soul
Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
^
Or consider the fact that the relative lightweight Miata at a svelte 2350 lbs corners no better, and perhaps worse, than a 991 911 that weighs nearly 1000 lbs more.
And the 911 suspension and traction nanny's have nothing to do with it........?

All things being equal, weight is a disadvantage with respect to acceleration, braking, and handling. F=MA.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Tesla Roadster