Sponsored by:

Opinions on buying a MT CPO

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
Would box syncro's be covered under-warrantee?

If this is not considered a wear and tear item then buying a mt is a no brainer.
This is a huge grey area as they could easily argue abuse. I think it would be very dependent on your service advisor and their relationship with PCNA and the generosity of the warranty gate keeper that day.

check this out. Syncros are technically covered, as they are not listed in excluded items

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/
Old 12-18-2017, 10:50 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Yeah the clutch is not *that* expensive. My independant quoted just over 2K when I asked, not that I need one yet.

I've never thought of that as an issue honestly... I've always bought my porsches slightly used and stick and never-ever got a clutch issue.

You can tell a lot from a test drive. Does it slip (bury the gas in a higher gear and look at the revs), does it shift OK ? We're not talking a 915 gearbox with a dead 2nd gear syncros here. If the car is low miles and CPO and feels right, I would buy without a care in the world...

I know this argument is not scientific but how many people would purposely buy a stick 991 to learn how to use a clutch ? ;-) I'd say most folks who got that car have experience.
I would imagine that "some" but these cars to really enjoy them and by "enjoy" rev the hell out of the engine and continuously shift above 4K gear-to-gear. Thereby wearing out the syncros.

This continual shifting at high rpm is my greatest fear in purchasing a pre-owner as this component abuse is extremely difficult to check for and may or may not (... ask just luck would have have it) appear as an issue during the warrantee period.

Any thoughts on this ?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would imagine that "some" but these cars to really enjoy them and by "enjoy" rev the hell out of the engine and continuously shift above 4K gear-to-gear. Thereby wearing out the syncros.

This continual shifting at high rpm is my greatest fear in purchasing a pre-owner as this component abuse is extremely difficult to check for and may or may not (... ask just luck would have have it) appear as an issue during the warrantee period.

Any thoughts on this ?
based on the use and mileage typical rennlisters seem to do, clutch should last forever
Old 12-18-2017, 11:11 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

I’m doubtful that shifting above 4K is going to hurt the gearbox, as long as the shifting is decent. People track these cars and I’ve seen few reports of manual gearbox failure. If you’re seldom going to take it over 4K perhaps focus on a 991.2 because of the torque. Because of local speed limits and traffic I seldom get go go above 4K and I feel guilty about that.

Cheers
NF
Old 12-19-2017, 02:28 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I would say SO long as there are NO over revs in range 2 + and the transmission and clutch feels fine , go for it!

There are so many factors of buying a used car above and beyond the transmission that I really think it's pointless to worry...

I also have to believe these transmissions were built to take some abuse seeing that they are used for PDK which shifts faster and harder than even the most brutal manual transmission driver , despite the fact that the next gear is pre loaded during fast up or down shifting there is some serious internal parts movement going on...
Old 12-19-2017, 06:46 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't understand the concept above.. Syncros are made to mesh, I've not experienced more issues with higher rpm, quite the opposite in fact... I've always found my old porsches shifted better & faster at higher RPM, when getting "beat up", as long as you know how to use a 3rd pedal ;-)

Anyway there is really nothing we can do to help your fears.... *You* can drive a potential purchase and get a good feel for the syncros, the 991 is a little notchy when cold 1st to 2nd, and *you* can test to see if the clutch slips as we mentioned above (put a load on it in a high gear). That's pretty much it... If history shows anything (old IMS issues), a Porche that's been driven enthusiastically is often in better shape than one that was lugged at 2000 RPM ;-)

Or you could buy new, which is the best option, that way I'll have something to buy in a couple of years ;-) I need some of you guys to uncheck the PDK option, dammit !

Best of luck !!!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:58 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Search for an MT that has the sports chrono package and hope the owner used the rev matching feature.

Quick Reply: Opinions on buying a MT CPO