Do I need Sport Chrono package?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 PM
tcw495
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need Sport Chrono package?

Hi!

Considering my first 911, and I found a 2018 Carrera Coupe with pretty much every feature I'm looking for. It has sports exhaust, which is a must for me because of the awesome sound, but it does not list the Sport Chrono package anywhere (haven't seen pics yet or gone to see the vehicle in person yet to confirm whether it has SC or not, but assuming it doesn't since it is not listed). SC is the only thing it doesn't have listed that I wish it did.
My question is, does the SC package change exhaust noise at all? If I'm not planning to do anything with launch control, do I really need the SC package, or will I be happy without it?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Is the car PDK? If not, the SC does not do that much.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

useless And ugly
Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 PM
tcw495
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Is the car PDK? If not, the SC does not do that much.
yes, it is PDK.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by tcw495
yes, it is PDK.
Tougher choice then--SC has more functionality in controlling PDK shifts. Search the 991 forum for insights and opinions.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 AM
syswizard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobb Engineering provides for programmable MAPS to change the PDK shift points.
Moreover, it can add "Launch Control" which it calls "Race Start"....an uber-cool feature that allows you to rev to 4000-5500 RPM at the stop light and then you take your foot off the brake.
Note: This will allow you to "toast" vettes at least for the first 4 seconds.

Normally you would need the Sports Chrono package to have this capability.
Even then, it's not as flexible as the Cobb approach which can change the RPM settings.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:44 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You also get dynamic motor mounts with the Sport Chrono.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:42 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

You’ll be thrilled with the car no matter how it’s configured. Although I’m sure SC is worthwhile to the super aficionados, the rest of us mere mortals probably couldn’t tell the difference between a car with it or without it. Getting caught up in the expensive acronym game is one of the favorite Rennlist pastimes. There’s no end to it.
The following users liked this post:
mustarossa (06-04-2020)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:02 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was faced with the same decision, and for me SC is a must on a 991.2. SC on a .2 gives you:

• Manettino dial on the steering wheel to change between O, I, S, and S+ modes. Easier to use than the console buttons.
  • Individual mode, which you can use to customize the chassis, transmission, spoiler, and PSE (if equipped). Mine is set to Sport, spoiler disabled.
  • The clock (personally I like how it looks)
  • Sport Plus mode - Firmer suspension, PSE engaged if equipped, harder shifts, higher shift points, seventh gear disabled, turbos are kept spooled up to reduce lag. Knocks .2 seconds of 0-60 time.
  • Dynamic engine mounts that get firmer as you go up in the modes.
  • Sports response button that gives you optimal gear, higher shifts points, and keeps the turbos spooled up for 20 seconds.
  • Launch control (PDK only)

I might have missed a few things, but for me the convenience of the manettino and ability to configure individual mode are the most compelling. If was buying a .1 I would not care if it had SC or not.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:04 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You also get dynamic motor mounts with the Sport Chrono.
There is a lot to the SC package that benefits manual and pdk drivers.

Also it has the following:
1. G-force meter
2. Relaxes the point at which PSM engages (in sport + mode)
3. Performance screen on PCM
4. Clock with lap timer
5. Rev matching with manual
6. Adds mode switch on steering wheel which includes
Normal mode
SPORT mode
SPORT PLUS mode
Individual mode
SPORT Response button (only in conjunction with PDK)
7. Adds launch control for pdk.
8. Changes the throttle mapping to be more responsive for pdk and manuals and holds revs higher before shifting (w/ pdk)

to the OP: No one needs any option or even a Porsche. but this option is one of my top "wants".

Last edited by subshooter; 11-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:11 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, another thing I'll add is that if I had to choose between PSE and SC on a 991.2, I would go with the SC. PSE doesn't really do much to enhance sound or performance on the turbo cars.

But on a .1, PSE would be a must for me.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:23 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

With a PDK car, sport chrono is a must. Has lots of cool features. With a manual, its a waste of $$ - only has rev matching (which you can do manually) and dynamic engine mounts (which you will never miss).
Old 11-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
With a PDK car, sport chrono is a must. Has lots of cool features. With a manual, its a waste of $$ - only has rev matching (which you can do manually) and dynamic engine mounts (which you will never miss).
Disagree, I'd say it's a must on 7MT also. Also get the manettino plus shift lights as you get near redline - plus I think it helps resale if that's an issue for you. Lastly - and I'm not sure if this is on non SC cars, but the 7MT has "launch control" also with it. I realize it's basically it holds the revs before you release the clutch, but according to my PEC delivery guy, it's matched to same as PDK, just don't let off clutch too fast.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
Disagree, I'd say it's a must on 7MT also. Also get the manettino plus shift lights as you get near redline - plus I think it helps resale if that's an issue for you. Lastly - and I'm not sure if this is on non SC cars, but the 7MT has "launch control" also with it. I realize it's basically it holds the revs before you release the clutch, but according to my PEC delivery guy, it's matched to same as PDK, just don't let off clutch too fast.
Are you sure about this? With the dry clutches that come with the 7MT, launch control would quickly cause them to overheat.

With or without SC, the 7MT does have an rpm limitation a little over 4K that prevents a higher rpm clutch drop. But I believe this is to preserve the clutch rather than any form of launch control. This limit probably adds a couple of tenths to a manual car's zero-t0-60 and quarter-mile times.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I put launch control in quotes. I'm quoting my delivery rep. Also I don't know if it's on non-SC cars or not

Quick Reply: Do I need Sport Chrono package?