Sponsored by:

Thread Killer

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 72offsuit
Neither did I, see positive outcome we learned something.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Technically the 992 is OT in the 991 forum, maybe they could be moved to OT forum instead of closed when they get too angry so those who want to keep arguing it out or watching the argument could do it over there?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Its possible here, its just the moderators dont want to put the time into moderating. They are volunteer positions and they have everyday life things to do. If thats the case, I personally wouldnt take on the role.
Okay, I volunteer to be a moderator.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:06 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

They deleted the entire thread? Damn, I missed all the girly fighting.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I heard you get a ribbon for being a mod
Old 10-31-2017, 03:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

I think it would be difficult to be a moderator on a site like Rennlist. I am a member of multiple online communities for various automotive brands. There are lots of similarities, but yet lots of differences too. I see many similar personality types on each of the boards.

For Porsche information, I tend to frequent three forums: Rennlist, Renntech, and 6speedonline. I've found that each offers something different than the others. Renntech is much more technical in nature, with very little thread highjacking and very little of anything other than technical questions and answers about Porsches. Loren does a great job of moderating it, and keeping it on topic. It's a fantastic resource, but it's not especially entertaining. 6speedonline tends to be quite entertaining, but not as useful for technical information. 6speedonline has many threads about cosmetic modifications, drag racing, and other things that don't really interest me. I find it somewhat entertaining to read, but I don't consider it a reliable resource for information on my car. Rennlist is, in my opinion, the right balance between technical information and entertainment. It's generally a great community. The twists and turns that some threads take can be very entertaining, but I always know that there's great technical information here if I need it.

So, how do you moderate that? It's a delicate balance between letting threads unfold, and stopping them when they become argumentative, confrontational, etc. I certainly don't want threads to get out of control, but I don't want them to be stifled to the point that they become purely technical threads.

Being a moderator here sounds difficult indeed.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Every moderator and the IB guys have different opinions on how to handle threads that go off rail. In the end BTO makes the call.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:32 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD

I'm not that interested in 991.1 modification, releases, issues, etc because largely its irrelevant to my car and visa versa. It doesn't necessarily address the 992 thread since there's nowhere for this to be created appropriately, but I think a lot of this could be avoided if many of these threads were split by .1 & .2.
Unfortunately, no amount of split threads (.1,.2 etc.) will foster civility when people do not wish to be civil. This is just like the society we live in today - nothing more - nothing less. When I see threads hijacked, along with people fighting and being less than civil - it just disgusts me.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:47 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Unfortunately, no amount of split threads (.1,.2 etc.) will foster civility when people do not wish to be civil. This is just like the society we live in today - nothing more - nothing less. When I see threads hijacked, along with people fighting and being less than civil - it just disgusts me.

With the price point of these cars, I expected a level of conduct that mirrored the professionalism that presumably everyone here exhibits in their careers to afford their cars.

So many of these threads are nonsense to start with and the decent ones that start a legitimate conversation are just destroyed by people just provoking each other, completely ruining the chance of any real conversation or collection of information.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:01 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I think the message here is that we need to police ourselves. If a couple people complain, the hammer comes out and the thread is shut down. The mods don't have enough time to play kindergarten cop.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I think the message here is that we need to police ourselves. If a couple people complain, the hammer comes out and the thread is shut down. The mods don't have enough time to play kindergarten cop.

They should deal with the guys causing the problems. Closing a thread only pushes the drama to the next thread.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I'm not that interested in 991.1 modification, releases, issues, etc because largely its irrelevant to my car and visa versa. It doesn't necessarily address the 992 thread since there's nowhere for this to be created appropriately, but I think a lot of this could be avoided if many of these threads were split by .1 & .2.

Just a thought!
A good one and one that was requested by many of us when the .2 was released, i.e., split the forums/create a sub forum for each variant.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
They should deal with the guys causing the problems. Closing a thread only pushes the drama to the next thread.
Good point and this is ideal. However, that would mean that the moderators have to peruse the thread to find the offenders and then individually ban them. A lot more work than just pushing the "close thread" button. I'm sure they have dealt with it a hundred times and don't have much patience for it.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Sorry, but the number of moderators should be increased. The 991 portion of this site should have their own moderators, and many as needed. Two levels perhaps, one with authority to boot people as well as delete posts, and another level just to delete posts. Whoever volunteers, is a member, and has a record of following the "Terms of Use", sign 'em up. Violators of the "Terms of Use" get booted by the super mods.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:25 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll volunteer. Relatively new here so no alliance yet But would it mean that I'd immediately get hated by everybody like I'm the IRS?

Quick Reply: Thread Killer