PM'd
Old 02-11-2018, 03:01 PM
ntravaglino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Thanks for the interest!

PM'd
I’m considering upgrading the factory system in my 991.1 with Bose, but also replacing the PCM unit with something like the Alpine iLX-107.

Could I use the Stage III in conjunction with something like the Alpine source unit? Other than parking senor alerts, what other functionality in the car might I lose (backup camera, in-dash PCM functions, etc?)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ntravaglino

I’m considering upgrading the factory system in my 991.1 with Bose, but also replacing the PCM unit with something like the Alpine iLX-107.

Could I use the Stage III in conjunction with something like the Alpine source unit? Other than parking senor alerts, what other functionality in the car might I lose (backup camera, in-dash PCM functions, etc?)
There's definitely a good amount of features lost when you delete the PCM. Of course you touched on the major ones like parking sensors. There's also navigation in the cluster, control from the wheel/stock, and the trip log features, etc. The backup camera can be retained, but you'll lose the dynamic parking lines. It's definitely a sacrifice to some extent, but it does pave the way for perfect audio signal into an aftermarket sound system like the Stage III upgrade. The low-level outputs from the alpine can directly feed the new amplifier and yield phenomenal sound.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
There's definitely a good amount of features lost when you delete the PCM. Of course you touched on the major ones like parking sensors. There's also navigation in the cluster, control from the wheel/stock, and the trip log features, etc. The backup camera can be retained, but you'll lose the dynamic parking lines. It's definitely a sacrifice to some extent, but it does pave the way for perfect audio signal into an aftermarket sound system like the Stage III upgrade. The low-level outputs from the alpine can directly feed the new amplifier and yield phenomenal sound.
I am looking more closely into this Alpine head unit replacement. I assume we bypass the whole Fiberoptic Network? This will save a ton of adapters etc? I just assume we need the adapter for power and signal to the speakers via the Musicar Kit and we just wire up the aftermarket headunit for power, USB and low level RCA's to underneath the passenger seat?

Sounds relatively reversible and simple.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I am looking more closely into this Alpine head unit replacement. I assume we bypass the whole Fiberoptic Network? This will save a ton of adapters etc? I just assume we need the adapter for power and signal to the speakers via the Musicar Kit and we just wire up the aftermarket headunit for power, USB and low level RCA's to underneath the passenger seat?

Sounds relatively reversible and simple.
Right on par, Joe. No more Fiber-Optic needed once we ditch the Bose system and the PCM. Just run a single pair of low-level RCA's down to the new amplifier. I can even build a harness that plugs directly into the Bose amp plug so there are no wires cut. You'll need to either use a CAN-Switch or run a wire up from the fuse box for a "turn-on" lead for the new radio. Factory PCM has power and ground but there's no ACC back there since it's all done on data right now.

All reversible, just need to be able to live without those extra integration features from the PCM. We've replaced the CDR31 in a Boxster in the past using all the same parts the 991 would use. Not a bad looking solution, and with the Alpine iLX-107 it would look even better!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:35 AM
DR991
Rennlist Member

Default Prices

What is the pricing breakdown?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:30 AM
rjhagan
Track Day

Hi Nick..
Interested in upgrading as well. Is there a 991.2 Cab Bose solution yet? Recommendations for NorCal ? Would gladly sign up for the same solution as the Club Coupe above.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 PM
passion4audio
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm interested in prices and options as well...

Both the products and installation appear to be first rate.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:00 PM
DEO92
5th Gear

Default Loving the full Stage III upgrade

I had done the Stage I (tweeters) in my GT4 last fall, and I recently added the Stage II and Stage III. I am equally pleased by the results (outstanding audio and seamless integration with PCM) and by the fantastic experience of working with Nick, who patiently answered all of my emails as I considered taking the plunge, and then worked with my installer on his questions to ensure everything was working well and just as intended.

I had expected when I got my car that I would have to live with lousy audio inside (albeit glorious noises coming out the pipes at the back), but thanks to Nick's ingenuity and dedication I now have great sounds all around.

Also, for those in the Trip-State area I had a great experience working with a mobile installer who did this work: Eric Jones at http://www.carinstallations.com/. He's meticulously careful and thorough. He's also very pleasant and very knowledgeable; I would recommend him for anyone considering this kit.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:50 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Are there any upgrades available for 991.2 with Burmester?
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 AM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 169 Posts

Also interested in upgrades for the base 991.2s audio system
Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by swoobie
Are there any upgrades available for 991.2 with Burmester?
I'm curious since I have listened to the Burmester in 991.2 using CDs, not using crappy, lossy MP3s....are you unhappy with the Burmester sound quality?

I thought it was awesome.

I'm building a 911 now. Trying to decide whether to go for the $$$$$ Burmester vs. getting a base & replacing "everything" with something like the Musicar Stage III, detailed here.
Bose & Burmester come with 12 speakers, the base unit comes with only 8 speakers.

I think when you get the system replacement detailed here you end up with 8 speakers. Not sure if you must lose any PCM functions, such as parking sensors, which would be a deal killer for me.

Last edited by TwinTurbo420; 07-29-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-29-2018, 07:43 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
I'm curious since I have listened to the Burmester in 991.2 using CDs, not using crappy, lossy MP3s....are you unhappy with the Burmester sound quality?

I thought it was awesome.

I'm building a 911 now. Trying to decide whether to go for the $$$$$ Burmester vs. getting a base & replacing "everything" with something like the Musicar Stage III, detailed here.
Bose & Burmester come with 12 speakers, the base unit comes with only 8 speakers.

I think when you get the system replacement detailed here you end up with 8 speakers. Not sure if you must lose any PCM functions, such as parking sensors, which would be a deal killer for me.
My daily driver has a custom audio set-up, so my bar is high, but I have not been happy with bass response, which isn't linear. In addition the frequency roll-off is a bit too high, some of the lower frequencies just can't be reproduced. The staging is decent however, so speaker placement is not bad.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by swoobie
My daily driver has a custom audio set-up, so my bar is high, but I have not been happy with bass response, which isn't linear. In addition the frequency roll-off is a bit too high, some of the lower frequencies just can't be reproduced. The staging is decent however, so speaker placement is not bad.
Thanks, would you buy a tweeter or woofer or amp upgrade, based solely on the opinions of others, w/o actually hearing the new system in a 911 1st? I can see doing that if you have the junk, base system but, if you already have the Burmester, I would think you would really want to hear the proposed upgrades yourself with your own familiar, favorite, lossless music... b4 deciding.

Quick Reply: Musicar Stage III Audio Upgrade Release for 991 – Project Club Coupe