Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault engine control possible to drive on

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Got my car back and they said the replacement fuel tank pressure sensor was bad and ordered a new one. They said that happens on occasion. I call bs on that one. It’s more believable that there was an install issue. Imagine Porsche sourcing parts that sometimes don’t work! Lol!! Anyway, this will be the third trip in to fix it.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,197 Likes on 720 Posts

Geeze.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Cjpimentel1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member here, been stalking these forums for years now, finally decided to join. lemme jump right into it.

Just had that fault a few days ago. Same thing. Started fine one day, after about a mile or so of driving miss daisy fault comes on, drive a bit more than it goes into limp mode. Restart the car, fault remains but the limp mode disappears. Called my SA about it says drive it like you stole it. it might be due to not being used as much. I did and the limp mode didn't come on not once. EXCEPT when i drive it slow. anyway got tired of it and took it in yesterday. here are the faults that showed up :

P0237 pressure sensor ahead of throttle valve
P0106 intake manifold implosible
P0236 pressure sensor ahead of throttle valve (limit exceeded)
P1552 function monitoring control unit fault group A
P2227 Ambient pressure implausible
P1990 Positive torque intervention not possible
P199A Engine torque valves inaacurate
00A005 Warning : Engine power reduce
00A016 Warning : Check engine
000021 Drive away release not possible
084B Door guard light electrical fault

Mine is a 1st gen 2014 991.1 Turbo S with 14,000 km (8700 miles) on it.

SA called and they think it's the DME. They don't have an answer yet as to why and what may have caused it.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:48 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjpimentel1
New member here, been stalking these forums for years now, finally decided to join. lemme jump right into it.

Just had that fault a few days ago. Same thing. Started fine one day, after about a mile or so of driving miss daisy fault comes on, drive a bit more than it goes into limp mode. Restart the car, fault remains but the limp mode disappears. Called my SA about it says drive it like you stole it. it might be due to not being used as much. I did and the limp mode didn't come on not once. EXCEPT when i drive it slow. anyway got tired of it and took it in yesterday. here are the faults that showed up :

P0237 pressure sensor ahead of throttle valve
P0106 intake manifold implosible
P0236 pressure sensor ahead of throttle valve (limit exceeded)
P1552 function monitoring control unit fault group A
P2227 Ambient pressure implausible
P1990 Positive torque intervention not possible
P199A Engine torque valves inaacurate
00A005 Warning : Engine power reduce
00A016 Warning : Check engine
000021 Drive away release not possible
084B Door guard light electrical fault

Mine is a 1st gen 2014 991.1 Turbo S with 14,000 km (8700 miles) on it.

SA called and they think it's the DME. They don't have an answer yet as to why and what may have caused it.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say your issue is not your DME. Sounds like a flaky pressure sensor (MAP sensor?)

Last edited by mtony; 02-05-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Default Penske's Porsche of Tysons Corner Bad Service

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Got my car back and they said the replacement fuel tank pressure sensor was bad and ordered a new one. They said that happens on occasion. I call bs on that one. It’s more believable that there was an install issue. Imagine Porsche sourcing parts that sometimes don’t work! Lol!! Anyway, this will be the third trip in to fix it.
I've been away for quite some time - so much happening but back to report on this again. So, the saga continues....

So I finally schedule the third trip to Penske's Porsche of Tysons Corner through their on-line process. I write in the reservation to please have the part ready as I now live in Delaware. So, I take it back for the third time and they don't have the right part. They order the part for overnight delivery, so okay, I stay the night. At 8 AM the next morning, I receive notice that the part arrived. I call the service department, nobody will take my call, so in to voicemail and I tell them that I know the part has arrived and please try to have the car done by noon. I call the service department again, nobody will pick up the phone. I page the service manager - will not pick up and I get sent to voicemail again. At 2 PM I receive a call back - we are sorry but we will not be able to install the part today because we are short of workers, so it will be Monday. I remind them I live in Delaware, already stayed over one night, and don't care to make weekend of it. So, I tell them that I will come pick up the car as it is drivable with this bad sensor. The service manager says "It won't be ready until 3PM because we have to put the car back together." What? Ummm, so you tell me you can't fix it because you are down mechanics but the car is apart and you have mechanics to reassemble it. Ummhmmm. So, why not just tell me that they ordered the wrong part again? How is that worse than they can't do a repair in two days?

So, do I take it in for a fourth time? Or do I find a new Porsche dealer?
Old 02-07-2020, 03:08 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

That experience really sucks.

Get a loaner car and go home and see if they will deliver your car once it's done.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I've been away for quite some time - so much happening but back to report on this again. So, the saga continues....

So I finally schedule the third trip to Penske's Porsche of Tysons Corner through their on-line process. I write in the reservation to please have the part ready as I now live in Delaware. So, I take it back for the third time and they don't have the right part. They order the part for overnight delivery, so okay, I stay the night. At 8 AM the next morning, I receive notice that the part arrived. I call the service department, nobody will take my call, so in to voicemail and I tell them that I know the part has arrived and please try to have the car done by noon. I call the service department again, nobody will pick up the phone. I page the service manager - will not pick up and I get sent to voicemail again. At 2 PM I receive a call back - we are sorry but we will not be able to install the part today because we are short of workers, so it will be Monday. I remind them I live in Delaware, already stayed over one night, and don't care to make weekend of it. So, I tell them that I will come pick up the car as it is drivable with this bad sensor. The service manager says "It won't be ready until 3PM because we have to put the car back together." What? Ummm, so you tell me you can't fix it because you are down mechanics but the car is apart and you have mechanics to reassemble it. Ummhmmm. So, why not just tell me that they ordered the wrong part again? How is that worse than they can't do a repair in two days?

So, do I take it in for a fourth time? Or do I find a new Porsche dealer?
call 1-800-porsche. Tell them ur experience and how u have to drive over ??? miles to obtain warranty work. Without asking, they sent me the attached.

The following 2 users liked this post by Homeles:
CSK 911 C4S (02-07-2020), koala (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 06:58 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

That is brutal. I'd be absolutely pissed. The biggest thing I hate is having my time wasted! They should send you back home in a loaner, and they should be covering the cost of your overnight stay.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
call 1-800-porsche. Tell them ur experience and how u have to drive over ??? miles to obtain warranty work. Without asking, they sent me the attached.
Wow, that’s generous!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:06 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
That is brutal. I'd be absolutely pissed. The biggest thing I hate is having my time wasted! They should send you back home in a loaner, and they should be covering the cost of your overnight stay.
Yes, I am unhappy. I copied my post and sent it to my SA. He forwarded it on to his GM at noon. No response.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 PM
maj75
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Time for a new dealer.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:03 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

I received a phone call from the GM yesterday apologizing for the three failed service attempts. He offered to pick the car up for the service if I rescheduled it until I told him I lived in Delaware (they are in Virginia).I kept it pleasant and he offered to make it up to me in some way. Well, we will see if that comes to fruition. Lol. He agreed that they should have found a loaner car for me. The Service Department manager retired and his replacement was the assistant. There may be a learning curve there. They also had some service advisor turnover. I could see that - it's a highly competitive market in this area for customer service employees.

So, here is the story: yes, they had the car apart to put in the gas tank sensor. But according the the mechanic, they needed to drop the engine a few inches to get the part in and they didn't have time to do it. The call I received was at noon, so I guess it takes longer than four hours. I am going to give them another shot since I very much like the sales department and thinking about a Macan for a commuter car.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 PM
CovarrubiasA
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Control Fault

Just got this message today. I have a 2018 Macan, haven’t really been driving it, yesterday I drove it for an extensive amount of time and today when I went to drive it, I received the message.

Looks like I’ll have to take it in because everything I find on the web as to what it could be is inconsistent. I just took it in for break pads right before the quarantine occurred.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CovarrubiasA
Just got this message today. I have a 2018 Macan, haven’t really been driving it, yesterday I drove it for an extensive amount of time and today when I went to drive it, I received the message.

Looks like I’ll have to take it in because everything I find on the web as to what it could be is inconsistent. I just took it in for break pads right before the quarantine occurred.
Any other messages? FEC by itself could be a slew of things (it's basically the equivalent of a fancy Check Engine light). I had FEC along with PSM and Auto Start/Stop disabled and it ended up being a bad ignition coil ($35 part).
Old 08-26-2022, 07:07 AM
JerryM-NJ
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same thing happened to me 08-25-22 / Softronic flash cause??

I went to visit my friends Dad in Upstate NY, from NJ - 127 mile trip and was really looking forward to taking my 911 on mountain roads. About 30 miles into the trip the "engine fault" message popped on the dashboard. I contemplated going home to switch cars but took a chance. The car performed as usual. I purchased the car in November of 2021 with abut 6,300 miles and have about 8,500 now. Last month i did the ECU flash with Softronic. I love the result and not blaming the software, but that's the only thing that comes to mind. After reading this thread I'm hoping it goes away by itself. The car is scheduled to go back to the dealer for service in October - I have the extended warranty and concerned that I voided something with the flash.

Has anyone else had this fault occur after an ECU flash?

Thanks,
Jerry

Originally Posted by JTimothyProut
Has anyone had the fault notice "Fault engine control Possible to drive on" pop up on there 991.1.
My problem was solved with a factory campaign WF 86 that corrected the fault problem with reprogramming control modules. Evidently this has been a common problem for 2014 991.1 cars. Unfortunately unlike a recall unless you go to a dealer you will not be aware of the campaign. In addition, I also had a faulty coil on one plug. My 2014 Carrera 911 S has 49,100 miles. Hopefully I will be good for awhile.

Other problems I have with this car were a leaking accessory belt tension damper (replaced) 41,000 miles, engine compartment struts failing (replaced) 39,000 miles and dead battery (recharged) at 31,000 miles. These were all under warranty.

Quick Reply: Fault engine control possible to drive on