Headlight Delamination - How to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
and deal with pits and mars on the lenses /fixed
Yes. Better than issues that require a whole light replacement. There have been multiple posts mentioning risk of PPF'ing the lights. If you're feeling lucky take a chance.
I'm as **** as they come about keeping my car looking it's best but this area just does not concern me. It's going to catch road debris that's a fact. If you follow the original post and it all works out fine then you're good if not you're out more than a few nicks.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Yes. Better than issues that require a whole light replacement. There have been multiple posts mentioning risk of PPF'ing the lights. If you're feeling lucky take a chance.
I'm as **** as they come about keeping my car looking it's best but this area just does not concern me. It's going to catch road debris that's a fact. If you follow the original post and it all works out fine then you're good if not you're out more than a few nicks.
Yes. If you're feeling lucky take a chance.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:14 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 630 Likes on 344 Posts

I am going through this right now, so this thread came at the right time. Initially, I said no way to doing the headlights. I heard about the delamination issues and felt it wasn't worth it. I called my dealer and asked him his opinion. He told me that he recently got in a GTS on trade with 300 miles and one of the headlights was so badly chipped it had to be replaced. Cost was $3000 if I recall correctly.

He said that the headlights chip even more easily than the paint due to the soft plastics used on the headlights. He felt that PPF on the headlights was even more necessary than the paint as the paint is more durable.
In addition, the delamination issue is really just cosmetic as its the UV coating that may peel off. The chipping is major and actually compromises the headlight lenses. In addition, if the film lasts 10 years there is a good chance I will sell the car before I even need to change the film. Try selling a car with heavily pitted headlights without taking a big hit for allocating for replacements.

I have made the decision to do the headlights now. I think the film will greatly increase the overall life of the headlights and minimize the chipping if not eliminate it completely.
I also trust Mo's opinion as one of the countries best PPF installers having done thousands of installs with no reason to upsell any of us who dont even live near his shop.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:28 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I am going through this right now, so this thread came at the right time. Initially, I said no way to doing the headlights. I heard about the delamination issues and felt it wasn't worth it. I called my dealer and asked him his opinion. He told me that he recently got in a GTS on trade with 300 miles and one of the headlights was so badly chipped it had to be replaced. Cost was $3000 if I recall correctly.

He said that the headlights chip even more easily than the paint due to the soft plastics used on the headlights. He felt that PPF on the headlights was even more necessary than the paint as the paint is more durable.
In addition, the delamination issue is really just cosmetic as its the UV coating that may peel off. The chipping is major and actually compromises the headlight lenses. In addition, if the film lasts 10 years there is a good chance I will sell the car before I even need to change the film. Try selling a car with heavily pitted headlights without taking a big hit for allocating for replacements.

I have made the decision to do the headlights now. I think the film will greatly increase the overall life of the headlights and minimize the chipping if not eliminate it completely.
I also trust Mo's opinion as one of the countries best PPF installers having done thousands of installs with no reason to upsell any of us who dont even live near his shop.
+1....ultimately it comes down to getting a skilled installer and making sure the film provides value for you.

i would 100% have mine done with an installer like me because I don’t want to see small, large, pits on a crystal clear headlight.

thats why we cover healinghts on ALL our installations.

but, big caveat...you need a very capable installer that has experience in doing 991 headlights
Old 04-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Moe you definitely appear to be a highly capable installer. I use who I think is a highly capable installer. But there are many more average and mediocre installer. If I was tracking my car monthly or more I would risk doing it as the road debris would be troublesome to avoid light issues. But for an average daily and mildly aggressive driver the normal nicks would not bother me or the resale. I am assuming delamination of the UV part of the light means that it then becomes prone to yellowing if the job is not perfect.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I did mine since I view Esoteric as "capable." My whole car has PPF just can't see leaving the headlights exposed. Seems like the lesser of two evils to protect with the film.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:58 PM
acalayag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GT4’s headlights are badly delaminated and has dot like chips from many track days. Is there a place in the Bay Area as good as Moe? Or maybe I can ship them out to Moe.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:01 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by acalayag
My GT4’s headlights are badly delaminated and has dot like chips from many track days. Is there a place in the Bay Area as good as Moe? Or maybe I can ship them out to Moe.
try joe @ OC detailing.

if they don’t do headlights, just ship them to us
Old 10-01-2018, 02:44 AM
acalayag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Moe,

Do you think my headlight is workable?

Badly delamenated
Old 11-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Refreshing this thread.

I had Xpel wrap placed on my new head lights and every morning they are fogged up. If it’s a cloudy day then they can remain fogged all day. It’s been raining on and off since I picked up my car (outside). Is this the issue? Does the wrap need to remain dry after install or will eventually cure and the fogging issue will disappear?

Is it something I should be concerned about?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2018, 11:38 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes Xpel wrap on my headlights for 2 years and no such issue.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Xpel website says it should disappear so I wonder it seems it’s related if the humidity and temperature. My car usually faces the house so I am going to turn it around so the head lights receive direct sunlight
Old 11-27-2018, 03:44 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Refreshing this thread.

I had Xpel wrap placed on my new head lights and every morning they are fogged up. If it’s a cloudy day then they can remain fogged all day. It’s been raining on and off since I picked up my car (outside). Is this the issue? Does the wrap need to remain dry after install or will eventually cure and the fogging issue will disappear?

Is it something I should be concerned about?

Thanks
Can you post photo please
Old 11-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Moe

Here is a picture of one of the head lights but both of them look very similar. I blew the water off the car right before taking this picture. Left the car for 2hrs (not in direct sun) but it didn’t change much. I then used a hair dryer on high heat and it appeared to start reducing the amount of fogging but didn’t eliminate. It was a sunny day so I went for a drive and after about 3hrs it had disappeared. Expels website mentioned something like this regarding the residual solvents, is my issue related? Also will this fogging after the film getting soaked diminish over time? Thanks

d
Old 02-02-2019, 03:18 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default New video of 997.2 Speedster headlight ppf removal

Quick Reply: Headlight Delamination - How to avoid