Sponsored by:

Headlight Delamination - How to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
as it relates to the paint, I believe you are correct...within reason. Common sense care and maintainanace is a pre-requisite.

as it relates to headlights, topic of this thread, I’m not sure those rules apply considering there is a disclaimer on our side as installers of the delaminatiom issue. I’ll have to check with xpel...that one might be a gray area, but I don’t want to speculate.

ill get back to you on that and where xpel stands on headlights
I do not see any exceptions on that page so yes I would be surprised to hear of any.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had XPEL taken off my headlights of my 991.1 C4S and it delaminated them. it's like a sunburn...with bits of "skin" missing from the UV coating on the lights. For someone with OCD-ish tendencies, it was unacceptable so I replaced my headlights (with black ones, so it was a nice upgrade).

The theory (which makes a lot of sense to me), is that in order to get a FLAT shape (like the cutout for the headlight), to stick on such an unusual aspherical round shape (like the headlight itself), considerable fixation points and stretching is needed. The combination of the stretching and adhesive leads to lateral stress forces on the UV coating, which can delaminate it more easily, especially if removed. imagine putting electrical tape -- very sticky adhesive -- on a sunburn on your skin (where your skin is already compromised, like the UV coating is compromised from the stretching). Try taking it off without taking off a layer of skin. The clear-coat appears to be more durable than the UV coating so the necessary stretching should not strip off the clear coat off your paint.

Re: bwiele's post : I think if there is damage to the UV coating or delamination, the only way to get them looking new-ish is what Moe is suggesting -- strip all the coating, polish, and film/coat.

Porsche does NOT endorse films on headlights.

W
Old 10-23-2017, 11:24 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Doesn’t XPEL have a stronger adhesive? More risky?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:08 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Doesn’t XPEL have a stronger adhesive? More risky?
Yes, XPEL has one of the more "grabby" adhesives...but nothing like the old films like the early generation 3M...those things would leave behind adhesive that took hours to remove
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

My dealer gave me some Xpel Ultimate scraps to stick on the front temporarily while doing a BMW European Delivery. We peeled it off at a car wash and the residue wiped right off. 1000 miles all over Europe and the paint was kept perfect.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:48 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you from personal experience that the 991 headlights will delaminate. This recently happened to my C2S when I applied and removed Xpel Tracwrap for a track event. Looks like in the future it will be painters tape,...not as much protection but no delamination. Once they get bad enough I'll bite the bullet and replace.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:18 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I do not see any exceptions on that page so yes I would be surprised to hear of any.
XPEL in fact confirmed...NO WARRANTY on film applied on headlights, as they do NOT recommend installing film on the headlights due to the known possible headlight coating being delaminated. It's not even available for purchase on their retail site.

With that said, installing the film or not still comes down to YOU and YOUR installer's comfort level. Not one right answer for everyone...each owner has to weight the pros and cons.

As for me, I'm still recommending them to my clients as I always approach each project with this philosophy in mind..."would I do this to my car?"...hope that clarifies
Old 10-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Yes I value the PPF protection in exposed areas more also.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:56 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
XPEL in fact confirmed...NO WARRANTY on film applied on headlights, as they do NOT recommend installing film on the headlights due to the known possible headlight coating being delaminated. It's not even available for purchase on their retail site.

With that said, installing the film or not still comes down to YOU and YOUR installer's comfort level. Not one right answer for everyone...each owner has to weight the pros and cons.

As for me, I'm still recommending them to my clients as I always approach each project with this philosophy in mind..."would I do this to my car?"...hope that clarifies
Is there any concern in installing the film over the LED headlights on the 911?
Old 10-30-2017, 04:38 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ttlwh
Is there any concern in installing the film over the LED headlights on the 911?
Not that I'm aware of. We've done many without issue
Old 10-30-2017, 06:24 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Its not an issue from the film, although the film may contribute, but its an issue with the lights. We noticed the delam on my CPO when I got it clear bra'd. Brought it to dealer and they replaced under warranty, with the film on. SA said they have seen brand new cars come off the truck with the delamination and had to replace them before delivery.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would anyone know of any issues with installing Xpel Ultimate on the headlights (PDLS Plus) on the 971 new (2018) Panamera 4 E-Hybrid? My installer showed me in his Xpel program a sub note for the headlight pattern that read "risk of delamination". Any installation tips that should be followed?
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
Would anyone know of any issues with installing Xpel Ultimate on the headlights (PDLS Plus) on the 971 new (2018) Panamera 4 E-Hybrid? My installer showed me in his Xpel program a sub note for the headlight pattern that read "risk of delamination". Any installation tips that should be followed?
Thanks.

The manufacture does not recommend covering the lenses. However there are many owners who have moved forward and done so, including myself.
It basically comes down to you and knowing there is a risk of delamination. The key in my opinion is in the selection of an excellent installer. I don’t care about the risk, for me I rather have the protective film vs the pits and mars on the lenses. An when the day comes when the protective film needs to be replace and/if my lenses delaminate..... no worries, I’ll have them polished and recovered.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Best install tip "Don't do it".
Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Best install tip "Don't do it".
and deal with pits and mars on the lenses /fixed