Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more question on FAL

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I have a 991.1 GTS with PASM and it get scraped up routinely. Unfortunately, FAL was not an option on the 991.1 GTS and it is a $10,000 after-market modification. I am resigned to changing the front plastic spoiler once a year (costs about $500, including paint job). I also have some agate grey spray paint for occasional touch-ups. I live in LA and even with taking curbs at an angle, it is virtually impossible to not get an occasional scrape on the front spoiler. I will definitely be getting the FAL on my GT3.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:43 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I have a 991.1 GTS with PASM and it get scraped up routinely. Unfortunately, FAL was not an option on the 991.1 GTS and it is a $10,000 after-market modification. I am resigned to changing the front plastic spoiler once a year (costs about $500, including paint job). I also have some agate grey spray paint for occasional touch-ups. I live in LA and even with taking curbs at an angle, it is virtually impossible to not get an occasional scrape on the front spoiler. I will definitely be getting the FAL on my GT3.
The only difference is that the front spoiler on the GT3 is $179 and does not need painting. I could not imagine not having FAL where I live . The problem I now have is that the front caliper wind scoops hit before the spoiler.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mods: Please delete this post. Thank you!

Last edited by Philip Goughary; 01-05-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Found my answer with detailed search
Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
OK, I've read through all the threads on FAL, and I'm no smarter about it.

I have a GTS coupe with SPASM on order, but not yet locked. I am trying to determine if I should add FAL in order to maintain my sanity.

I currently have a '15 Cayman S with sport suspension (-20MM), so I'd like to get a comparison to that car for reference. The CS is pretty darn low, so I kind of thought the GTS couldn't be any lower or it would be dragging on the ground. Also the PASM Carrera sits pretty high to my eye, so I wasn't thinking -10MM would be any worse than my Cayman S. Of course, I am now questioning that conclusion.

My Cayman S has a narrow sacrificial looking lip just under the front bumper. That lip is 5.5" off the ground. I know what that lip can handle, so I was wondering if a .2 GTS owner could be good enough to tell me the ground clearance of the GTS lip for comparison. I would appreciate any help.
I saw this old thread revived and thought you had made some last minute changes to your order! Thought it was way too late for that hahaha!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I saw this old thread revived and thought you had made some last minute changes to your order! Thought it was way too late for that hahaha!

Yeah, it's definitely too late now, as the last time I checked the car was sitting in Emden.

BTW, I didn't order the FAL. I have the advantage of FL roads, and a scarcity of real hills. I'm pretty sure I can handle my driveway with at most a nick under the black lip when leaving the driveway. I don't see that as a big deal when it likely won't happen anymore once I get the lip sanded down by the road. I'll just have to be a little more careful if traveling north.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Yeah, it's definitely too late now, as the last time I checked the car was sitting in Emden.

BTW, I didn't order the FAL. I have the advantage of FL roads, and a scarcity of real hills. I'm pretty sure I can handle my driveway with at most a nick under the black lip when leaving the driveway. I don't see that as a big deal when it likely won't happen anymore once I get the lip sanded down by the road. I'll just have to be a little more careful if traveling north.
I never scraped with PASM in my first 991.1S. With SPASM in my second 991.1S, I only scraped at the end of my driveway, something I could mitigate by taking it at an angle. So not worth it to me for for the additional weight, cost, and complexity.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have heard scrapes a few times in my 2015 C2S with the 10 mm PASM drop, but not Sport PASM's extra 10 mm drop. The Porsche 991 front end is nicely designed that scrapes are all on the underside and unless to slam into something and break the painted lower front bumper, the black soft lip on the underside along the center part takes most of the scrapes and probably lifts the car slightly as it scrapes along. The unprotected edges around to the wheel opening that scrape only really show when the car is on a lift. Mine are pretty rough if I feel the bottom side. I have hit dips or driveway exits too fast each time I have heard the scrape.
Just slow down entering and leaving driveways and over speed bumps . . . . like those folks who buy heavy duty 4x4 trucks and then slowly ease them over the speed bumps at the supermarket.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

As the OP, thought I would just close the loop on this thread. Fortunately I did not waste money on FAL, and just add another thing that could break. I picked my GTS with SPASM up on Saturday, and this thing is like a lifted 4X4 compared to my Cayman S w/sport suspension. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but significant just the same.

I did some measuring today, and the Cayman is a full inch lower than my GTS. The front bumper covers have different geometry so that is hard to compare, but it is about the same difference. I realize the GTS front sticks out about 1" -1.25" more, but the extra height more than makes up for that.

Apology to flickroll for vadering this picture he sent me, but it showed visually just how high a GTS really is.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it is unnecessary everywhere. I'm sure there are locations it can be important.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

As the OP, thought I would just close the loop on this thread. Fortunately I did not waste money on FAL, and just add another thing that could break. I picked my GTS with SPASM up on Saturday, and this thing is like a lifted 4X4 compared to my Cayman S w/sport suspension. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but significant just the same.

I did some measuring today, and the Cayman is a full inch lower than my GTS. The front bumper covers have different geometry so that is hard to compare, but it is about the same difference. I realize the GTS front sticks out about 1" -1.25" more, but the extra height more than makes up for that.

Apology to flickroll for vadering this picture he sent me, but it showed visually just how high a GTS really is

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it is unnecessary everywhere. I'm sure there are locations it can be important.
Once again, it's not just the height, it's the length of the front overhang that hurts you on driveways. I'm amazed that my SPASM S car clears some of the hills that it clears, but it does scrape on short driveway aprons. Ride height is as low as you'd want it to be, and it looks great. But it does scrape on 50% of my driveway exits, and it's not a very steep one.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:27 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

OP, Glad it's working for you without the FAL . I've also had no issues going from Cayman GTS to 991.2 Coupe with SPASM and no FAL. Maybe if I did a lot of urban driving with sharp curb cuts, I would miss it. But I think it would drive me crazy to have to push a button while approaching every spot I might scrape, I'm not a patient guy and would probably end up only using in spots I'd learned the hard way I needed it.

FAL crowd: How long does it take for the lift to happen? Does it automatically drop back down when you get back up to speed??
Old 01-28-2018, 09:08 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Just went out to garage. The floor to bottom of lip measures just under 6.5 inches.
Is that on a 991.2 Carrera or a GTS? Also, does it have S-PASM?

I haven't found the height of a 991.2 Carrera with Sport PASM and regular fascia (not Sports Design).

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:25 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
OP, Glad it's working for you without the FAL . I've also had no issues going from Cayman GTS to 991.2 Coupe with SPASM and no FAL. Maybe if I did a lot of urban driving with sharp curb cuts, I would miss it. But I think it would drive me crazy to have to push a button while approaching every spot I might scrape, I'm not a patient guy and would probably end up only using in spots I'd learned the hard way I needed it.

FAL crowd: How long does it take for the lift to happen? Does it automatically drop back down when you get back up to speed??
It only takes a few seconds for the height to go up or down. Very fast and adequate imo.

Once you hit 39 mph, it lowers automatically.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Is that on a 991.2 Carrera or a GTS? Also, does it have S-PASM?

I haven't found the height of a 991.2 Carrera with Sport PASM and regular fascia (not Sports Design).

Thanks.
I have a GTS with spasm.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:52 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
takes about 3-4 seconds to raise up, drops down automatically if you hit 38 mph or greater.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:15 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I find I need it from time to time. Some of the transitions in my area are a little nasty. I'm happy I have it.

Quick Reply: One more question on FAL