Sponsored by:

One more question on FAL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default One more question on FAL

OK, I've read through all the threads on FAL, and I'm no smarter about it.

I have a GTS coupe with SPASM on order, but not yet locked. I am trying to determine if I should add FAL in order to maintain my sanity.

I currently have a '15 Cayman S with sport suspension (-20MM), so I'd like to get a comparison to that car for reference. The CS is pretty darn low, so I kind of thought the GTS couldn't be any lower or it would be dragging on the ground. Also the PASM Carrera sits pretty high to my eye, so I wasn't thinking -10MM would be any worse than my Cayman S. Of course, I am now questioning that conclusion.

My Cayman S has a narrow sacrificial looking lip just under the front bumper. That lip is 5.5" off the ground. I know what that lip can handle, so I was wondering if a .2 GTS owner could be good enough to tell me the ground clearance of the GTS lip for comparison. I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 10-15-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:37 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure this will help. Went from a Cayman S to a 991.2 S. The Cayman scraped more than my 911. I did not have pasm on the Cayman but do have it on the 911.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Just went out to garage. The floor to bottom of lip measures just under 6.5 inches.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Not sure this will help. Went from a Cayman S to a 991.2 S. The Cayman scraped more than my 911. I did not have pasm on the Cayman but do have it on the 911.
Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Just went out to garage. The floor to bottom of lip measures just under 6.5 inches.

Thank you both, that was very helpful. I have to admit I'm a little shocked that the GTS is that high, but that info will probably save me a few grand.

My Cayman S gets over speed bumps OK as long as I go real slow. My driveway has a decent entry slope that I can negotiate going at an angle, but I can't get out without just a slight scrape on that non-visible lip. Given it seems to be lower than the GTS, I should be OK without the FAL.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,783 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Just remember that the overhang on the 911 is longer than the Cayman, which will make the approach angle steeper than it would appear based just on ride height.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

FWIW. I got the FAL and no regrets.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just remember that the overhang on the 911 is longer than the Cayman, which will make the approach angle steeper than it would appear based just on ride height.
This.
It's been a chin-saver for me, my 997.2 without SPASM was hitting at slow speeds a lot, but my GTS with FAL hasn't. Highly dependent on the type of roads you take, for me it was a no-brainer.

Trending Topics

Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I got it on my Targa GTS and I'm glad I did. I haven't scraped yet, but some of the transitions around me in NY are pretty challenging, so I'm glad to have the peace of mind to be able to raise the car. Yes, I know you can replace the chin several times before matching the cost, but I don't want to be driving around with a scraped up splitter (I already have one good chunk out of from a stone thrown up on the highway) or to endure the pain of hearing the scrape. Peace of mind is worth the cost to me, and I definitely use it.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

We've got FAL on our GTS. That was the one option that I held firm on as we searched for our car. The price of FAL is well worth my not dreading/cringing every time I try to pull out of our office parking lot or into/out of other lots. The Hubster tried to convince me that FAL paid for a lot of front lips, but he's admitting that it was a good idea, now that we've got it.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I recently ordered a 911 GTS coupe. I decided against spending the additional money on FAL as my previous Cayman GTS with sport suspension (X73) didn't scrap on my angled driveway (taken at an angle). I guess I'll find out if I was right when the car arrives in about a month.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
OK, I've read through all the threads on FAL, and I'm no smarter about it.

I have a GTS coupe with SPASM on order, but not yet locked. I am trying to determine if I should add FAL in order to maintain my sanity.

I currently have a '15 Cayman S with sport suspension (-20MM), so I'd like to get a comparison to that car for reference. The CS is pretty darn low, so I kind of thought the GTS couldn't be any lower or it would be dragging on the ground. Also the PASM Carrera sits pretty high to my eye, so I wasn't thinking -10MM would be any worse than my Cayman S. Of course, I am now questioning that conclusion.

My Cayman S has a narrow sacrificial looking lip just under the front bumper. That lip is 5.5" off the ground. I know what that lip can handle, so I was wondering if a .2 GTS owner could be good enough to tell me the ground clearance of the GTS lip for comparison. I would appreciate any help.
I can't help you with the Cayman S comparison but my first 991S had PASM and I never scraped it. On my second 991S with SPASM, I have to pull out of my driveway at a 45 degree angle not to scrape. But other than my driveway, it is extremely rare for me to scrape. Because I can mitigate the driveway scraping, I would tend to lean towards putting FAL $$$ towards something else.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:37 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Guys,
very helpful data, thank you all.
I just placed an order for a new build on a 991.2 GTS Cabriolet.
While i was going over the options, i noticed that we get 10mm lowered PASM (not the 20mm PASM sport as the coupe).
Talking to a few people around, they are all saying that the 20mm lowered coupe scraps everywhere and that the Front Axle Lift System is a must.
I was wondering if my build of the 991.2 GTS Cabriolet, with only the 10mm lowered and the front sport facia will require that as well as a must.

Anyone around here that can speak from first hand experience of a 991.2 GTS Cabriolet ground clearance?
My build locks on Jan 8th, so i don't have much time to decide.
I'd rather not spend the $2,500 if i can avoid it, unless it becomes impossible to get in and out of speed bums and garage entrances.

i know for a fact that the 991.2 S with PASM doesn't scrap where i work and live, i just have to figure out the PASM + the GTS front facia.

thanks,
Ben
Old 12-31-2017, 10:58 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
Guys,
very helpful data, thank you all.
I just placed an order for a new build on a 991.2 GTS Cabriolet.
While i was going over the options, i noticed that we get 10mm lowered PASM (not the 20mm PASM sport as the coupe).
Talking to a few people around, they are all saying that the 20mm lowered coupe scraps everywhere and that the Front Axle Lift System is a must.
I was wondering if my build of the 991.2 GTS Cabriolet, with only the 10mm lowered and the front sport facia will require that as well as a must.

Anyone around here that can speak from first hand experience of a 991.2 GTS Cabriolet ground clearance?
My build locks on Jan 8th, so i don't have much time to decide.
I'd rather not spend the $2,500 if i can avoid it, unless it becomes impossible to get in and out of speed bums and garage entrances.

i know for a fact that the 991.2 S with PASM doesn't scrap where i work and live, i just have to figure out the PASM + the GTS front facia.

thanks,
Ben
I simply don't agree with this statement for a .2 GTS.... based on my short ownership.

Granted, I spec'd FAL on my .2 GTS during my order...and I use it ALL the time....mainly for peace of mind.
However, I'm starting to think most of the time, I wouldn't have scrapped anyways.

IDK.
I have yet to scrape in first 750 miles.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:20 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Thank you @BlazinPond.
I would think i should be fine, but i was hoping to find a fellow 991.2 GTS with PASM 10mm to confirm or deny.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Totally agree with Blazin.

I LIGHTLY scraped once without FAL in first 100 miles of ownership as I have abnormally steep parking garage entrance. That said I don’t think I’ve needed it very many times in my 991.2 GTS coupe with sport pasm. I felt like I had more issues scraping in my 991.1.

That all said the reason I like FAL is because it has made me lazy. When FAL is engaged I don’t need to be as cautious angling car.

Quick Reply: One more question on FAL