Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tutorial: DIY install Apple Car-play on old model of 991s ( with PCM 3.1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM
swandive
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marinb
So with this setup you are able to use CarPlay as normal? i.e you can touch and swipe on the PCM to interact with the CarPlay screen?

And are you able to use the **** on the lower right hand side to select and click on UI elements?
Yes, I can touch and swipe on the PCM to interact with Carplay. Can select/tap the app in PCM (like Spotify, apple map). And also can call Siri
Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Great DIY, thank you! Two questions:

1. Do you know if this works on the CDR 3.1 module? I actually have a spare CDR (for my 981) with the Sirius module and would be willing to take it apart to test.

2. Can this module actually add BT music streaming? Anyone familiar with CDR 3.1 BASE (not SPP) knows that it does NOT support Bluetooth music streaming (just phone), so if this could add that it would make it even MORE valuable and worthwhile.

Thank you again! - Dom
Old 01-19-2018, 02:04 PM
swandive
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Great DIY, thank you! Two questions:

1. Do you know if this works on the CDR 3.1 module? I actually have a spare CDR (for my 981) with the Sirius module and would be willing to take it apart to test.

2. Can this module actually add BT music streaming? Anyone familiar with CDR 3.1 BASE (not SPP) knows that it does NOT support Bluetooth music streaming (just phone), so if this could add that it would make it even MORE valuable and worthwhile.

Thank you again! - Dom
Sorry, I don't have a CDR 3.1 module, so I don't know if this set will work with that or not.
After you installed this set, your cellphone has to connect to the PCM via a cable to active the Apple Carplay. (just like how the new 991.2 PCM works). So from that point, there is no need to use BT.
If you were asking if the Apple Carplay can be used wireless, the answer will be no. even the new 991.2 PCM does not support that.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swandive
Sorry, I don't have a CDR 3.1 module, so I don't know if this set will work with that or not.
After you installed this set, your cellphone has to connect to the PCM via a cable to active the Apple Carplay. (just like how the new 991.2 PCM works). So from that point, there is no need to use BT.
If you were asking if the Apple Carplay can be used wireless, the answer will be no. even the new 991.2 PCM does not support that.
OK, I looked at this a little more closely and am checking out that kit. Even with the translator, it is not easy to navigate - can you provide a direct link to this kit? Also, do they list anything about a kit for CDR3.1? - Thank you for the insight!

Last edited by Dom991.1; 01-19-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:52 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow. Great work. Way too complex for me, but great work!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:43 AM
swandive
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
OK, I looked at this a little more closely and am checking out that kit. Even with the translator, it is not easy to navigate - can you provide a direct link to this kit? Also, do they list anything about a kit for CDR3.1? - Thank you for the insight!
Here is the direct link I used before to purchase the kit (https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id...u=n265052b752c), but seems like they dont have the product in stock anymore. You might need to ask the seller that if they can order one for you from factory or not.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I’d like to have Apple CarPlay, but not enough to dismantle my PCM. Factory PCM 3.1 does everything that I need anyway.

Great tutorial!
Old 01-23-2018, 02:01 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

I truly wish car entertainment systems were modular with a dumb touch screen in the dash running from a computer module that is 100% software upgradable like a laptop by the user. When ever the computer module itself needs upgraded you just unplug it from the trunk and plug in a newer module.
The following users liked this post:
BradS71 (08-15-2020)
Old 01-23-2018, 03:25 PM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I truly wish car entertainment systems were modular with a dumb touch screen in the dash running from a computer module that is 100% software upgradable like a laptop by the user. When ever the computer module itself needs upgraded you just unplug it from the trunk and plug in a newer module.
The unit Swandive installed is not that far from your wish. It is a module that plugs into the PCM's touch screen and has an interface to communicate with the PCM to switch control of the touch screen between the PCM's brains and the Carplay module. You have to open the PCM because the touch screen's connectors are inside the unit. It is still plug and play, no soldering or permanently modifying the PCM. The Lsailt system is the same thing, but instead of a Carplay module, it's an Android computer.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow awesome work. Well done.

Unfortunately for me, there are a few things I’m really uncomfortable messing with on my own and this is one of them. Too bad the dealer can’t just do this for us, but we all know that’ll never happen.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:24 PM
davidkircher
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car-Play in 2014 Porsche Cayenne S

Swandive...

We got the lsailt Apple carplay in and installed ... everything seems to be working except for the Satellite Radio ... just as you said not enough room to keep it in the box, although if there was a place to safely put it you could probably get it to work.

One problem we seem to be having is that to initate the car play you have to plug your phone into the provided cable... if I leave carplay and go to the PCM by hitting say the tuner switch, how can I get back to carplay without unplugging and plugging back in my phone?

Also, is there somewhere on the steering wheel that I can initiate the phone button on carplay so that siri will ask me who I want to call, or do I have to push the phone button on the screen?

You have been a great help. All we got from Lsailt was the parts no instructions whatsoever.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:35 PM
davidkircher
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think it is available on CDR ... Lsailt made me take a picture of my unit to make sure it was PCM 3.1 not CDR ... I is not compatible with CDR.

David
Old 01-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

If anyone finds a reliable retailer please post it here!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidkircher
Swandive...

We got the lsailt Apple carplay in and installed ... everything seems to be working except for the Satellite Radio ... just as you said not enough room to keep it in the box, although if there was a place to safely put it you could probably get it to work.

One problem we seem to be having is that to initate the car play you have to plug your phone into the provided cable... if I leave carplay and go to the PCM by hitting say the tuner switch, how can I get back to carplay without unplugging and plugging back in my phone?

Also, is there somewhere on the steering wheel that I can initiate the phone button on carplay so that siri will ask me who I want to call, or do I have to push the phone button on the screen?

You have been a great help. All we got from Lsailt was the parts no instructions whatsoever.
I posted asking for the exact link before realizing you did this for a Cayenne. The search continues for a workable solution for CDR3.1(I have a 991 with PCM and a 981 with CDR-that's the one I would want this for). Thanks -Dom

Last edited by Dom991.1; 01-25-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

What button do you have to press to bring up CarPlay? Is it the radio button?

I just looked into another product called Naviplus and they are claiming their version doesn't sacrifice the Sirius XM.

Quick Reply: Tutorial: DIY install Apple Car-play on old model of 991s ( with PCM 3.1)