Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tutorial: DIY install Apple Car-play on old model of 991s ( with PCM 3.1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 551 Posts

The first time it took me 10+ hours because I went blind with only youtube videos. I didn't have the right jumper settings or a manual and there was a lot of installing and uninstalling.

But now I could probably do it in 2 hours rushed or 3 hours really taking my time.

IMO the hardest part is cramming all the wires and parts back in the dash.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:41 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
The first time it took me 10+ hours because I went blind with only youtube videos. I didn't have the right jumper settings or a manual and there was a lot of installing and uninstalling.

But now I could probably do it in 2 hours rushed or 3 hours really taking my time.

IMO the hardest part is cramming all the wires and parts back in the dash.
With the manual it should be straight forward. We're going to do 2-3 cars at the same time so we can all learn together. Wish me luck!
Old 07-07-2019, 02:56 PM
ShockUK
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound

Hello guys,

really hoping you could help me out with this one. I installed the wireless CarPlay unit. Doing so I removed the Sirius board.

everything connects back up, I unplugged to fiber optic cable from the original block and into the new block. However I’ve lost sound both on FM and in the CarPlay. Sound still works with SatNav which gives me hope I didn’t break it completely.

not really sure how to move forward, does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShockUK
Hello guys,

really hoping you could help me out with this one. I installed the wireless CarPlay unit. Doing so I removed the Sirius board.

everything connects back up, I unplugged to fiber optic cable from the original block and into the new block. However I’ve lost sound both on FM and in the CarPlay. Sound still works with SatNav which gives me hope I didn’t break it completely.

not really sure how to move forward, does anyone have any ideas?
You have to figure out how to reinstall the sirius board or else you can't get FM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:41 PM
ShockUK
5th Gear

You have to figure out how to reinstall the sirius board or else you can't get FM.
That is where I’m currently at, I’ve taken the head unit back apart but can’t find a way to get everything back including the Sirius board.

Any guides?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Kayvan1347
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is where I’m currently at, I’ve taken the head unit back apart but can’t find a way to get everything back including the Sirius board.

Any guides?
I don’t know how big is the wireless boards. But on non wireless board you can use stand offs to instal the Board and keep the Orginal board too.
ask atwong1. He is in Panamera forum. I think he already done it.👍
Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM
ShockUK
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Kayvan1347
I don’t know how big is the wireless boards. But on non wireless board you can use stand offs to instal the Board and keep the Orginal board too.
ask atwong1. He is in Panamera forum. I think he already done it.👍
Do you know the type of standoffs that are used by any chance? M2.5’s
Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 AM
Kayvan1347
Intermediate

I think 15 mm long 2.5mm length but I am not sure.
some uses 23 mm length.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 AM
APailthorp
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got mine installed in a 2016 Cayman 981 that has Bose and Sirius with the PCM 3.1, which I removed, and now am discovering that losing the AM/FM radio along with SAT is a common experience.

I may be able to figure out a way to stack the PCBs and have both? That way I get back the AM/FM radio?

Searching for atwong1 posts in the Panamerican forum. Any links or hints appreciated. :-)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:18 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APailthorp
I've got mine installed in a 2016 Cayman 981 that has Bose and Sirius with the PCM 3.1, which I removed, and now am discovering that losing the AM/FM radio along with SAT is a common experience.

I may be able to figure out a way to stack the PCBs and have both? That way I get back the AM/FM radio?

Searching for atwong1 posts in the Panamerican forum. Any links or hints appreciated. :-)
I actually stacked my board without the Standoffs, I used zipties to support getting creative with various holes in the chassis, but if I knew the standoff specs I would have MUCH rather gone that route. But yes you need the Sirius board to get AM/FM
Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 AM
APailthorp
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually stacked my board without the Standoffs, I used zipties to support getting creative with various holes in the chassis, but if I knew the standoff specs I would have MUCH rather gone that route. But yes you need the Sirius board to get AM/FM
Yup, confirmed. I ended up stacking two of the standoffs that came with, and used that to secure just the one corner closest to the CD player cable cutout. That way the board at least gets a decent ground (not sure it matters) and it isn't going to move around with all the cables, now extra cramped. I left the SAT pigtail cable out since I don't use that at all and the hole for it is the best way I can find to get the add-in cable out of the box. Now it all works! Nice.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 PM
ShockUK
5th Gear

Default Battle marks

Hello Guys,

I got the FM/SIRIUS board back in, I used a selection of stand off sizes. I will post a guide and specs once I get this complete.

the headunit is back together but now I can’t get it back in. Lots of battle marks on my hands ha.

is there a special way to put the additional kit inside the slot and where to put the wires. This is in a 911 so I’m sure the space is tight.

right now I’ve got the additional kit pushed in the bottom left and I’m trying to push the wires and block top right but it doesn’t go. Any advice

Last edited by ShockUK; 07-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Kayvan1347
Intermediate

Hello Guys,

I got the FM/SIRIUS board back in, I used a selection of stand off sizes. I will post a guide and specs once I get this complete.

the headunit is back together but now I can’t get it back in. Lots of battle marks on my hands ha.

is there a special way to put the additional kit inside the slot and where to put the wires. This is in a 911 so I’m sure the space is tight.

right now I’ve got the additional kit pushed in the bottom left and I’m trying to push the wires and block top right but it doesn’t go. Any advice
Ask atwong1. I know he has done it on Panamera, 911 and Cayenne too. He is Panamera forum.👍
Old 07-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Based on your picture you installed the integration box in the slot behind the PCM mounting frame. The additional harness loom and the reduced space where you mounted the integration box is preventing the PCM from sliding in its fixed mounting position. You will need to relocate the integration box to an alternate location. I have read some members will mount the integration box behind/under the glove box or under the steering column.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:23 PM
ShockUK
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Based on your picture you installed the integration box in the slot behind the PCM mounting frame. The additional harness loom and the reduced space where you mounted the integration box is preventing the PCM from sliding in its fixed mounting position. You will need to relocate the integration box to an alternate location. I have read some members will mount the integration box behind/under the glove box or under the steering column.
thanks!

I placed the integration board under the frame through the Climate control panel. Now lots of room behind the head unit. But it still is about 1/2 inch off from being flush. This isn’t easy

Quick Reply: Tutorial: DIY install Apple Car-play on old model of 991s ( with PCM 3.1)