Sponsored by:

2018 991 GTS front bumper paint defects

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:12 AM
eldubya
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 991 GTS front bumper paint defects

I just took delivery of my new 2018 991 GTS yesterday, when I had it up on the lift at the shop for the clear bra installation, we all noticed that there were some paint cracks/defects in the front bumper - can't really see them unless you had the car up on a lift, but was curious if anyone else has had issues like this. I've attached three pics - pic #1 is the general area where the defects are, pic #2 and #3 are of the left and right side where the paint mask/crack can be seen. It's at roughly the same locations on both sides...at first, I thought the car musta had its bumper repainted, but can't really see any respray, and the paint meter shows consistently. For a $150k car, this is pretty awful. There is also a smudged overrun on the lip of the bumper where it meets the trunk lid (can't see when the hood is closed) but just shocked at the poor paint quality. I sent the pics to the dealer, but no answer so far...

Anyone else experience this?
Attached Images    
Old 10-07-2017, 02:01 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 174 Posts

The paint quality looks fine. It's not a paint quality issue. It's an issue that someone curbed the front bumper, flexing it and cracking the paint, and the problem either wasn't noticed or wasn't fixed. Dealer should take care of it for you.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Macan246
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer repainted mine; it's possible. Don't let them talk you out of it either it made it much better as a reputable shop can do a great job these days; however, I buy a new car every yr and EVERY car has had at least one defect in the paint. Shame....
Old 10-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

It was hit and cracked. Paint meters don't usually work on plastic bumpers so that has me a bit confused... either way needs to come off, sanded, painted, etc. and then reinstalled. Obviously paint needs to match to be acceptable. Def a bummer on a new car. Sorry..
Old 10-07-2017, 02:33 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 123 Posts

Definitely hit. See how the black plastic piece in the first pic isn't lined up properly? So sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you should have the bumper re-painted.

NF
Old 10-07-2017, 03:30 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
Definitely hit. See how the black plastic piece in the first pic isn't lined up properly? So sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you should have the bumper re-painted.

NF
^+1. The crack needs to be properly repaired though as a simple respray will have the crack reappearing in no time. Crack needs to be opened up and filled with epoxy, bumper primed and resprayed. Sorry this happened to you. I would not be very happy if this was my car. Repair if done properly however, you will never know it ever happened.

Quick Reply: 2018 991 GTS front bumper paint defects