Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Radio Regrets: How to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Base Radio Regrets: How to fix it?

When I ordered my Club Coupe in 2015, I chose NOT to spend extra dough on the stereo (no Bose, no Burmeister). So, I wound up with a stock radio unit.

Now, after two years of ownership, I want a better sound. Specifically, the USB stick full of my MP3s could have cleaner bass (as is it rattles my passenger door) and overall the system needs some depth.

I'm not necessarily looking to replace the head unit as I want to retain the interior's stock look, but I want better, undistorted sound.

I'm asking any of you that have already gone through this process to give me your advice. What should I do? How much do I need to spend? Where do I start? i'm reluctant to hand my car over to a 19-year-old "stereo guy" and have him start pulling things apart.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Two words >> Musicar Northwest

http://musicarnw.com

Nick is a forum sponsor here. Look up his threads.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Can you just add a sub? I did that on a prior vehicle with an absymal radio (lotus) and it really made it quite decent.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Two words >> Musicar Northwest
If I lived in Portland, I'd call these folks today. Their website makes them sound like they "get it."

Really hoping to find someone similar here in L.A.

Thanks, though.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:23 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello,

I have been a musician and audiophile all my life so you have touched upon an issue which I may be able to help. I seem to be in the minority here and would much rather listen to my music then a loud exhaust. For my 2018, I purposely ordered the base system because neither the Bose nor Burmeister systems are worth anywhere near what they cost. Since you're in Los Angeles, I can invite you to come take a look and listen at my system which was installed by Reus Systems in Orange County. You can also search here for Reus systems or Rick Reus for other reviews.

You can also look here for a description and visual of my system. See reply #57: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...ts-coup-4.html

Replacing the head unit is not an option. There are too many functions in there and they are all custom fit to your car. All of the Porsche head units are the same; they are just programmed differently for Bose and Burmeister. You can however replace the amps, crossovers and speakers to render stunning sound. A word of caution, however. Your MP3 files that you listen to are highly compressed. This makes your bass sound very thin and your highs sound shrill. There are now ways to get wav files on your USB stick. These are uncompressed files which will sound every bit as good as the original CD.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Thanks for the mention STG!

Leader, We've been developing a full plug and play/bolt-in upgrade specifically for the Sound package Plus version of the 991.1/981 platforms. It's an absolutely stunning sound and 100% stealth – no modifications to the car or space lost. If you're interested, I'd love to work with someone here in the community on building and validating in an "untouched" car.

We've installed the same system into a handful of local cars and it's just about ready to put into the DIY category. Looking for someone that wouldn't mind having me come out to install personally. If you're at all interested, shoot me an email and I can share more details.

Best,
Nick
nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Old 09-29-2017, 05:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
If I lived in Portland, I'd call these folks today. Their website makes them sound like they "get it."

Really hoping to find someone similar here in L.A.

Thanks, though.

They not only get it, they get it done

Just check out Nicks profile and his threads. One of the many:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9306...eam-991-a.html
Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Hello,

I have been a musician and audiophile all my life so you have touched upon an issue which I may be able to help. I seem to be in the minority here and would much rather listen to my music then a loud exhaust. For my 2018, I purposely ordered the base system because neither the Bose nor Burmeister systems are worth anywhere near what they cost. Since you're in Los Angeles, I can invite you to come take a look and listen at my system which was installed by Reus Systems in Orange County. You can also search here for Reus systems or Rick Reus for other reviews.

You can also look here for a description and visual of my system. See reply #57: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1013...ts-coup-4.html

Replacing the head unit is not an option. There are too many functions in there and they are all custom fit to your car. All of the Porsche head units are the same; they are just programmed differently for Bose and Burmeister. You can however replace the amps, crossovers and speakers to render stunning sound. A word of caution, however. Your MP3 files that you listen to are highly compressed. This makes your bass sound very thin and your highs sound shrill. There are now ways to get wav files on your USB stick. These are uncompressed files which will sound every bit as good as the original CD.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
I'm also in a minority too. Avid audiophile for many years. I reluctantly ordered the Bose. All 3 systems are mediocre at best in the 911. Maybe it has to do with the environment ? Anyway, I wish I could have ordered radio delete. Get rid of the crappy NAV too. The 911 is such a great car that I can overlook the so-so audio.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
...Looking for someone that wouldn't mind having me come out to install personally. If you're at all interested, shoot me an email and I can share more details.

Best,
Nick
nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Email sent.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:39 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Thanks for the mention STG!

Leader, We've been developing a full plug and play/bolt-in upgrade specifically for the Sound package Plus version of the 991.1/981 platforms. It's an absolutely stunning sound and 100% stealth – no modifications to the car or space lost. If you're interested, I'd love to work with someone here in the community on building and validating in an "untouched" car.

We've installed the same system into a handful of local cars and it's just about ready to put into the DIY category. Looking for someone that wouldn't mind having me come out to install personally. If you're at all interested, shoot me an email and I can share more details.

Best,
Nick
nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Nick - I'd be interested as well and I live in Seattle. Does this apply to the base system in the .2 cars since this is what I have?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
Email sent.
Thanks.
Sorry for the delay, should have reply now!

Originally Posted by paxton
Nick - I'd be interested as well and I live in Seattle. Does this apply to the base system in the .2 cars since this is what I have?
The base system's speaker layout in the 991.2 is identical to the other platforms. I would be interested in working with you on something since I have yet to see a new base system here in Portland that I could test.

From what I've gathered, they ditched the external amplifier altogether and opted for a high-powered audio board in the PCM itself. I'd really love to do a little testing on that system to put together some fitting upgrades. Send me an email if you can and we'll work something out!

Nick
nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Old 10-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I am also an audiophile which is why neither system would bother me or impress me.
They are all “good enough,” for proper listening I have a stereo setup at home with good speakers, interconnects and CDs. That’s where I get quality. To sit in a moving car, not well insulated with no “sweet spot,” and expect a stereo like experience with a proper stage, depth and clarity is a fool’s errand.
OP switch from MP3s to WAV’s and save your money.

I’m just adding a different perspective and you can tell me to pound sand which suits me just fine.

Good luck either way.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:39 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^I agree, plus tire and engine noise pretty much kill any attempt to duplicate “audiophile” environment.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:35 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
I'm also in a minority too. Avid audiophile for many years. I reluctantly ordered the Bose. All 3 systems are mediocre at best in the 911. Maybe it has to do with the environment ? Anyway, I wish I could have ordered radio delete. Get rid of the crappy NAV too. The 911 is such a great car that I can overlook the so-so audio.
So true. I'm a realist, I admit that I don't have a very discerning set of ears. However, the wife's Cayenne has the Bose system as does my 911. World of difference between the two. Cayenne Bose is fantastic, you can keep the Bose in the 911. It just can't compete with all the noise in the car. I also tried out a Burmester system on a 911 Cabriolet, not worth the money either. Not sure I'd waste money on a good sound system for any 911.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:44 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get audiophile quality sound in a 911, you just have to pay for it. And there are many happy intermediate stages between the systems the cars come with, and that...

Quick Reply: Base Radio Regrets: How to fix it?