Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FEELING BLUE AND IT'S GREAT - 2018 C4 GTS COUP

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:16 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

You guys are very kind, thank you. Got a picture of the rear window tint. It's not very dark but they used a ceramic 3M film, 50% which is claimed to stop 90% of UV and heat. It was over 100*F when I picked up the car in Van Nuys and the cabin seemed cooler...

I for got to take a straight on rear "before" photo but here is the tint:

Old 08-31-2017, 04:08 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

10th day of ownership. I was very dissatisfied with the dealer's "detail" during PDI so I did my own detail starting at 7:30 this a.m. to avoid some of LA's heat wave. 83* at start and 93 by 10:00 completion (exterior only). Much happier now and the paint surface looks and feels much better. And yes, the center-lock wheels are a pain to clean!

QUESTION: Has anyone removed their 991's sun visors? Any diagrams or instructions? Couldn't find any specific to the 991 on YouTube, etc. I'm sure it's a simple procedure but don't want to screw it up. I have the leather visors and can't stand the Seat Belt / Air Bag Warning stickers. I did this with my 997 but that was years ago and I think these attach differently. While I'm asking, what's the best solution to use? Alchohol, WD-40, Goo Gone, Acetone? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Found my answer: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9388...p-by-step.html Thank you,
07CarreraS!

And of course, pictures (taken in the shade):

Last edited by 9ELOVIN; 08-31-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:53 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic
Old 08-31-2017, 08:05 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

You can also remove the stickers. There is a DIY on that as well.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Beautiful! Very Beautiful!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:17 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
You can also remove the stickers. There is a DIY on that as well.
Thank you. That was my reason for wanting to get the visors off. Mine are leather and I was not comfortable using alcohol and letting it sit on the leather. Used a product called GOOF OFF

Worked almost instantly. you can see the adhesive dissolve. To maks sure there was no variation in color I then used some
Doc Bailey's Leather Black:

Wrked like a charm. Toughest part for me was separating the connector for the lights in the visor mirrors. Had to use needle nose pliers.

And... In case anyone needs... I have the paint code for Sapphire Blue Mettalic:

On a more comical note, after detailing the car for the first time and feeling good about it, I got caught in a thunder storm yesterday. Car was so filthy I rewashed it at 7:30 this morning. To top it all off, my power was out from 5:00 p.m., yesterday until about noon today.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:35 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks great after the full paint correction. Do you mind posting after pics of the visors with the safety decals removed? My car is a 2014 and I'm curious if it would leave an outline if I attempted the same.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:45 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Originally Posted by shake1
Looks great after the full paint correction. Do you mind posting after pics of the visors with the safety decals removed? My car is a 2014 and I'm curious if it would leave an outline if I attempted the same.
I'll get some tomorrow. I don't think the regular visors will have an outline with the GOOF OFF. My leather ones had very slight outlines so that is why I used the Doc Bailey's. Can't speak for alcantara...
Old 09-02-2017, 12:19 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

That blue might be the reason I buy new vs. CPO. I can't seem to find too many of those on the used market and don't want to part with that color after having a similar (Sepang Blue) on my S6.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen
That blue might be the reason I buy new vs. CPO. I can't seem to find too many of those on the used market
Autotrader lists 4 of them, so not too many, but they do exist. Porsche South Shore has a 2015 sapphire blue 4S cab which seems awfully nice, but no price quote. Their other quoted prices for used cars seem a little high, but if you're set on a color - and I can very well understand being set on Sapphire Blue - it's still cheaper than new.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:33 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Originally Posted by shake1
This was taken with a flash from my Galaxy S8. You can't see anything sitting in the car and almost nothing without the flash. I'll treat it again in a week or so.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

After a few hundred miles now, I can say this is the quietest Porsche I've owned. I like to think I'm a music guy and have been a musician all my life. I've done a fair amount of studio work so sound quality is important to me, to say the least. Since 1990, I've been friends with Rick Reus of Reus Systems in Orange, CA. They design, build and install high end automotive audio systems (and systems for aircraft and boats). Rick has now done five 911's (and three F-150's) for me and this is the best system yet. It is specifically tuned for the car and each audio source.

I may be biased (not) but this is as good as it gets. I see the Porsche Burmester option for the GTS is $5,300, I listened to it before my order. It's not close. The sound quality and imaging like the Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA. Best of all, you don't see it.

The system features a high end tweeter encased in the front of the rear view mirror which moves to perceived source of the music to in front of you like a classical music concert:

The electronics including amp and crossovers are installed in the frunk attached to a removable false bottom which takes up about 1 3/4". Thus the whole system is removable for installation in your next car. Sorry this is not the best picture.

All speakers are upgraded except for the lower door speakers. In the rear, they install a linear, long wave, separately enclosed and powered sub-woofer which renders wonderful, deep base with no "boom."

If you did not own a coup you would not see the difference in the rear:

I don't mean to sound like a commercial so I'll make an offer to let anyone who may like to hear it. I was invited to show the car this Sunday the 10th at the Porsche Club Concours d'elegance at the Museum of Flying at the Santa Monica Airport. Come say hello, listen to music and drool over Porsches.

The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (10-28-2020)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

To get an aftermarket stereo, did you have to replace the PCM, add a separate head unit, or somehow integrate it into the PCM?

With prior cars, I didn't hesitate to replace the factory stereo with something better. With the amount of information that flows through the PCM - car stats, parking sensors, rear view camera, navigation - I can't see removing it.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:06 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
To get an aftermarket stereo, did you have to replace the PCM, add a separate head unit, or somehow integrate it into the PCM?

With prior cars, I didn't hesitate to replace the factory stereo with something better. With the amount of information that flows through the PCM - car stats, parking sensors, rear view camera, navigation - I can't see removing it.
No mods to nor replacement of the PCM; no separate head unit and it's fully integrated so all of your stereo functions still work There is a separated adjustment for the sub-woofer under the front of the driver's seat. In fact, there is nothing that can't be removed except the hole shown in front of the rear-view mirror which if I did not point it out, I bet you'd never see it.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

So is this just an amplifier and speakers then? I guess that makes sense, the PCM is adequate (if not great) as a tuner / MP3 player.

Quick Reply: FEELING BLUE AND IT'S GREAT - 2018 C4 GTS COUP