Sponsored by:

GTS Showdown Results - Total 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

It would be interesting to poll people new to a 911 to see how they compare on the issue of sound as compared to long time 911 owners. I test drove both a .1s and .2s and honestly didn’t notice a difference in sound, but I did notice the .2 felt stronger and more buttoned down than the .1. Neither car sounded half as good as the C7......but that’s not why it won me over either. I am not putting down either car ...... simply noting similarities between Porsche and Corvette enthusiasts........they simply are resistant to change!
As seen here. That varies. Some of us see the sound difference between the two as more vast and continuously tangible than the power difference. Many also aurally prefer a screaming atmospheric flat 6 to most anything.

Point being, some are resistant to change, and some are resistant to what moves them less. Writing off the everyone on the other “side” as “resistant to change” or as “accepting anything that’s new and shoved down their throats by corporate” dismisses real and actual enthusiasts tastes and preferences. Cars nowadays are commonly less emotionally involving (and looking, for that matter), that’s widely recognized.

Personally, emotionally I don’t connect with EV’s. But fundamentally, I think they’re VASTLY superior power plants than engines. I love good change, especially socially. But with cars, admittedly my passion and emotions win out, every time. Be it old or new.

Now. As for Vette owners.... yeah, I can see them being resistant to change more often for the sake of being resistant to change. Have you looked at them?
Old 06-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

As seen here. That varies. Some of us see the sound difference between the two as more vast and continuously tangible than the power difference. Many also aurally prefer a screaming atmospheric flat 6 to most anything.

Point being, some are resistant to change, and some are resistant to what moves them less. Writing off the everyone on the other “side” as “resistant to change” or as “accepting anything that’s new and shoved down their throats by corporate” dismisses real and actual enthusiasts tastes and preferences. Cars nowadays are commonly less emotionally involving (and looking, for that matter), that’s widely recognized.

Personally, emotionally I don’t connect with EV’s. But fundamentally, I think they’re VASTLY superior power plants than engines. I love good change, especially socially. But with cars, admittedly my passion and emotions win out, every time. Be it old or new.

Now. As for Vette owners.... yeah, I can see them being resistant to change more often for the sake of being resistant to change. Have you looked at them?
Point well made and I agree! Yes, being a recent Corvette owner I have noted an aging crowd, but I am not sure that Porche has that much younger of a demographic. I must also say the new C7 are terrific cars and performers and I feel the C8 could steal even more buyers from other high level marquees such as Porsche, and I do feel the new Corvettes are having an effect on getting more younger buyers. Personally, I just love cars and I will quickly jump to what appeals to me at the time of purchase. As you may agree, individuals heavily involved in either forum tend to be the enthusiasts for that brand and have stronger feelings regarding change than the typical person buying it as just a nice sports car.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Point well made and I agree! Yes, being a recent Corvette owner I have noted an aging crowd, but I am not sure that Porche has that much younger of a demographic. I must also say the new C7 are terrific cars and performers and I feel the C8 could steal even more buyers from other high level marquees such as Porsche, and I do feel the new Corvettes are having an effect on getting more younger buyers. Personally, I just love cars and I will quickly jump to what appeals to me at the time of purchase. As you may agree, individuals heavily involved in either forum tend to be the enthusiasts for that brand and have stronger feelings regarding change than the typical person buying it as just a nice sports car.

Absolutely and I hear ya!

Yeah, Porsche buyers probably ain’t much, if any younger (not many young cats can afford these cars, hehe). Though I think 911 *enthusiasts* in general have earned the unique right to have their judgements toward their cars of passion seen as determined by passion above all else.. via putting their money where their mouths are, for one (those air cooled prices!). But absolutely, there will always be people resistant to change. In any field of product, or life for that matter. Some demographics, much more than others.

Yeah, C7’s were the first Vettes since I was a kid that I was truly interested in. I actually may have bought one if it had adequate headroom for me. I was seriously thinking of a Grand Sport, or even a Stringray with some key options would more than suffice. I still think the timeless allure, design, cachet, brand quality, dynamics and relative “brashness yet sophistication” (as opposed to pure brashness, which mind you I am fully attracted to in cars) would have still gotten me into fulfilling my lifelong 911 dream. But I was pretty set on strongly considering a C7.

C8 seems like it’s gonna take the next step into being a true player. A mid engined Vette? I’m genuinely intrigued.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by K-A

Absolutely and I hear ya!

Yeah, Porsche buyers probably ain’t much, if any younger (not many young cats can afford these cars, hehe). Though I think 911 *enthusiasts* in general have earned the unique right to have their judgements toward their cars of passion seen as determined by passion above all else.. via putting their money where their mouths are, for one (those air cooled prices!). But absolutely, there will always be people resistant to change. In any field of product, or life for that matter. Some demographics, much more than others.

Yeah, C7’s were the first Vettes since I was a kid that I was truly interested in. I actually may have bought one if it had adequate headroom for me. I was seriously thinking of a Grand Sport, or even a Stringray with some key options would more than suffice. I still think the timeless allure, design, cachet, brand quality, dynamics and relative “brashness yet sophistication” (as opposed to pure brashness, which mind you I am fully attracted to in cars) would have still gotten me into fulfilling my lifelong 911 dream. But I was pretty set on strongly considering a C7.

C8 seems like it’s gonna take the next step into being a true player. A mid engined Vette? I’m genuinely intrigued.
Well said and I agree on all counts! I also appreciate being able to have great dialogue with another car lover........so thank you for that and have a great day!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

BTW......looks like we also may share the same choice in color.......Sapphire Blue👍
Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh this article again. What a load.

Look at the testing times they did.. the 991.1 GTS is faster than the 991.2 in the 0-60, even with a MT, puhlease!

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 06-27-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:24 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Oh this article again. What a load.

Look at the testing times they did.. the 991.1 GTS is faster than the 991.2 in the 0-60, puhlease!
Not sure what you mean here,.....co-worker has a base 991.2 and I a 991.1 GTS. My GTS is faster then the 991.2 base,....not by much, but it is. It of course is not faster compared to a 991.2 S or GTS. I've driven his, he's driven mine and played around several times in various situations, the base 991.2 is always a tick or two behind my GTS.

I'm a big fan of the base 991.2 though. Most responsive and less lag compared to the bigger turbo S/GTS.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Not sure what you mean here,.....co-worker has a base 991.2 and I a 991.1 GTS. My GTS is faster then the 991.2 base,....not by much, but it is. It of course is not faster compared to a 991.2 S or GTS. I've driven his, he's driven mine and played around several times in various situations, the base 991.2 is always a tick or two behind my GTS.

I'm a big fan of the base 991.2 though. Most responsive and less lag compared to the bigger turbo S/GTS.
The article is GTS vs GTS in the 991.1, 991.2 at 997 chassis.

They didn't even test all 3 cars with with PDK's, the 991.2 has a MT.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 PM
K-A
Drifting

Well said and I agree on all counts! I also appreciate being able to have great dialogue with another car lover........so thank you for that and have a great day!!!
BTW......looks like we also may share the same choice in color.......Sapphire Blue👍
Anytime, and thank you for that very same thing as well bud!!

Actually Aqua Blue but close! Still #BlueBrothers.

Love me some Saphhire as well. Nobody does blues like Porsche.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Anytime, and thank you for that very same thing as well bud!!

Actually Aqua Blue but close! Still #BlueBrothers.

Love me some Saphhire as well. Nobody does blues like Porsche.
Aqua blue aqua blue! My favorite car paint of all time.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:48 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Aqua blue aqua blue! My favorite car paint of all time.
SAME!! All time favorite. The 991 is such a beautiful design, I would have THOUGHT I couldn't imagine a paint "making" the car. But when in comes to Aqua Blue.... it's just so good I think it really makes any 991 it's on.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
SAME!! All time favorite. The 991 is such a beautiful design, I would have THOUGHT I couldn't imagine a paint "making" the car. But when in comes to Aqua Blue.... it's just so good I think it really makes any 991 it's on.
I absolutely agree... for me Aqua was the most important option, I’d rather have gotten a 997.2 or 981 in Aqua than a 991 in another color.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

I absolutely agree... for me Aqua was the most important option, I’d rather have gotten a 997.2 or 981 in Aqua than a 991 in another color.
Aqua Blue is absolutely gorgeous...between Aqua Blue and Sapphire Blue, Porsche hit it out of the park. My favorite blues!!!
Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Agreed! Same. My favorite option by far. It's addictive to look at, literally. Like I can't stop staring at it in different lighting and at different angles. It's so dynamic it's like you're seeing the car in a completely new light, constantly.

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Aqua Blue is absolutely gorgeous...between Aqua Blue and Sapphire Blue, Porsche hit it out of the park. My favorite blues!!!
Werd!! Both stunning colors. And although I wish Porsche would provide them indefinitely, it's cool that they render them to very specific and limited years, so as to make them classic colors in their own rights.

Quick Reply: GTS Showdown Results - Total 911