Notices
991
Sponsored by:

GTS Showdown Results - Total 911

 
Old 06-27-2018, 10:55 AM
  #76  
K-A
Super User
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post


It would be interesting to poll people new to a 911 to see how they compare on the issue of sound as compared to long time 911 owners. I test drove both a .1s and .2s and honestly didn’t notice a difference in sound, but I did notice the .2 felt stronger and more buttoned down than the .1. Neither car sounded half as good as the C7......but that’s not why it won me over either. I am not putting down either car ...... simply noting similarities between Porsche and Corvette enthusiasts........they simply are resistant to change!
As seen here. That varies. Some of us see the sound difference between the two as more vast and continuously tangible than the power difference. Many also aurally prefer a screaming atmospheric flat 6 to most anything.

Point being, some are resistant to change, and some are resistant to what moves them less. Writing off the everyone on the other “side” as “resistant to change” or as “accepting anything that’s new and shoved down their throats by corporate” dismisses real and actual enthusiasts tastes and preferences. Cars nowadays are commonly less emotionally involving (and looking, for that matter), that’s widely recognized.

Personally, emotionally I don’t connect with EV’s. But fundamentally, I think they’re VASTLY superior power plants than engines. I love good change, especially socially. But with cars, admittedly my passion and emotions win out, every time. Be it old or new.

Now. As for Vette owners.... yeah, I can see them being resistant to change more often for the sake of being resistant to change. Have you looked at them?
K-A is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 11:22 AM
  #77  
Dr. Ice
User
 
Dr. Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Missouri
Posts: 236
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-A View Post


As seen here. That varies. Some of us see the sound difference between the two as more vast and continuously tangible than the power difference. Many also aurally prefer a screaming atmospheric flat 6 to most anything.

Point being, some are resistant to change, and some are resistant to what moves them less. Writing off the everyone on the other “side” as “resistant to change” or as “accepting anything that’s new and shoved down their throats by corporate” dismisses real and actual enthusiasts tastes and preferences. Cars nowadays are commonly less emotionally involving (and looking, for that matter), that’s widely recognized.

Personally, emotionally I don’t connect with EV’s. But fundamentally, I think they’re VASTLY superior power plants than engines. I love good change, especially socially. But with cars, admittedly my passion and emotions win out, every time. Be it old or new.

Now. As for Vette owners.... yeah, I can see them being resistant to change more often for the sake of being resistant to change. Have you looked at them?
Point well made and I agree! Yes, being a recent Corvette owner I have noted an aging crowd, but I am not sure that Porche has that much younger of a demographic. I must also say the new C7 are terrific cars and performers and I feel the C8 could steal even more buyers from other high level marquees such as Porsche, and I do feel the new Corvettes are having an effect on getting more younger buyers. Personally, I just love cars and I will quickly jump to what appeals to me at the time of purchase. As you may agree, individuals heavily involved in either forum tend to be the enthusiasts for that brand and have stronger feelings regarding change than the typical person buying it as just a nice sports car.
Dr. Ice is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 AM
  #78  
K-A
Super User
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post


Point well made and I agree! Yes, being a recent Corvette owner I have noted an aging crowd, but I am not sure that Porche has that much younger of a demographic. I must also say the new C7 are terrific cars and performers and I feel the C8 could steal even more buyers from other high level marquees such as Porsche, and I do feel the new Corvettes are having an effect on getting more younger buyers. Personally, I just love cars and I will quickly jump to what appeals to me at the time of purchase. As you may agree, individuals heavily involved in either forum tend to be the enthusiasts for that brand and have stronger feelings regarding change than the typical person buying it as just a nice sports car.

Absolutely and I hear ya!

Yeah, Porsche buyers probably ain’t much, if any younger (not many young cats can afford these cars, hehe). Though I think 911 *enthusiasts* in general have earned the unique right to have their judgements toward their cars of passion seen as determined by passion above all else.. via putting their money where their mouths are, for one (those air cooled prices!). But absolutely, there will always be people resistant to change. In any field of product, or life for that matter. Some demographics, much more than others.

Yeah, C7’s were the first Vettes since I was a kid that I was truly interested in. I actually may have bought one if it had adequate headroom for me. I was seriously thinking of a Grand Sport, or even a Stringray with some key options would more than suffice. I still think the timeless allure, design, cachet, brand quality, dynamics and relative “brashness yet sophistication” (as opposed to pure brashness, which mind you I am fully attracted to in cars) would have still gotten me into fulfilling my lifelong 911 dream. But I was pretty set on strongly considering a C7.

C8 seems like it’s gonna take the next step into being a true player. A mid engined Vette? I’m genuinely intrigued.
K-A is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 11:49 AM
  #79  
Dr. Ice
User
 
Dr. Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Missouri
Posts: 236
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-A View Post



Absolutely and I hear ya!

Yeah, Porsche buyers probably ain’t much, if any younger (not many young cats can afford these cars, hehe). Though I think 911 *enthusiasts* in general have earned the unique right to have their judgements toward their cars of passion seen as determined by passion above all else.. via putting their money where their mouths are, for one (those air cooled prices!). But absolutely, there will always be people resistant to change. In any field of product, or life for that matter. Some demographics, much more than others.

Yeah, C7’s were the first Vettes since I was a kid that I was truly interested in. I actually may have bought one if it had adequate headroom for me. I was seriously thinking of a Grand Sport, or even a Stringray with some key options would more than suffice. I still think the timeless allure, design, cachet, brand quality, dynamics and relative “brashness yet sophistication” (as opposed to pure brashness, which mind you I am fully attracted to in cars) would have still gotten me into fulfilling my lifelong 911 dream. But I was pretty set on strongly considering a C7.

C8 seems like it’s gonna take the next step into being a true player. A mid engined Vette? I’m genuinely intrigued.
Well said and I agree on all counts! I also appreciate being able to have great dialogue with another car lover........so thank you for that and have a great day!!!
Dr. Ice is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM
  #80  
Dr. Ice
User
 
Dr. Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Missouri
Posts: 236
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

BTW......looks like we also may share the same choice in color.......Sapphire Blue👍
Dr. Ice is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM
  #81  
///M3THOD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
///M3THOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Oh this article again. What a load.

Look at the testing times they did.. the 991.1 GTS is faster than the 991.2 in the 0-60, even with a MT, puhlease!

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 06-27-2018 at 12:32 PM.
///M3THOD is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 12:24 PM
  #82  
Rocket_boy
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Oh this article again. What a load.

Look at the testing times they did.. the 991.1 GTS is faster than the 991.2 in the 0-60, puhlease!
Not sure what you mean here,.....co-worker has a base 991.2 and I a 991.1 GTS. My GTS is faster then the 991.2 base,....not by much, but it is. It of course is not faster compared to a 991.2 S or GTS. I've driven his, he's driven mine and played around several times in various situations, the base 991.2 is always a tick or two behind my GTS.

I'm a big fan of the base 991.2 though. Most responsive and less lag compared to the bigger turbo S/GTS.
Rocket_boy is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM
  #83  
///M3THOD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
///M3THOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy View Post
Not sure what you mean here,.....co-worker has a base 991.2 and I a 991.1 GTS. My GTS is faster then the 991.2 base,....not by much, but it is. It of course is not faster compared to a 991.2 S or GTS. I've driven his, he's driven mine and played around several times in various situations, the base 991.2 is always a tick or two behind my GTS.

I'm a big fan of the base 991.2 though. Most responsive and less lag compared to the bigger turbo S/GTS.
The article is GTS vs GTS in the 991.1, 991.2 at 997 chassis.

They didn't even test all 3 cars with with PDK's, the 991.2 has a MT.
///M3THOD is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 PM
  #84  
K-A
Super User
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post


Well said and I agree on all counts! I also appreciate being able to have great dialogue with another car lover........so thank you for that and have a great day!!!
Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post
BTW......looks like we also may share the same choice in color.......Sapphire Blue👍
Anytime, and thank you for that very same thing as well bud!!

Actually Aqua Blue but close! Still #BlueBrothers.

Love me some Saphhire as well. Nobody does blues like Porsche.
K-A is offline  
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM
  #85  
Dewinator
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dewinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,060
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Anytime, and thank you for that very same thing as well bud!!

Actually Aqua Blue but close! Still #BlueBrothers.

Love me some Saphhire as well. Nobody does blues like Porsche.
Aqua blue aqua blue! My favorite car paint of all time.
Dewinator is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:48 AM
  #86  
K-A
Super User
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Dewinator View Post


Aqua blue aqua blue! My favorite car paint of all time.
SAME!! All time favorite. The 991 is such a beautiful design, I would have THOUGHT I couldn't imagine a paint "making" the car. But when in comes to Aqua Blue.... it's just so good I think it really makes any 991 it's on.
K-A is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 AM
  #87  
Dewinator
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dewinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,060
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by K-A View Post
SAME!! All time favorite. The 991 is such a beautiful design, I would have THOUGHT I couldn't imagine a paint "making" the car. But when in comes to Aqua Blue.... it's just so good I think it really makes any 991 it's on.
I absolutely agree... for me Aqua was the most important option, I’d rather have gotten a 997.2 or 981 in Aqua than a 991 in another color.
Dewinator is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM
  #88  
Hurricane
Super User
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,554
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K-A View Post
SAME!! All time favorite. The 991 is such a beautiful design, I would have THOUGHT I couldn't imagine a paint "making" the car. But when in comes to Aqua Blue.... it's just so good I think it really makes any 991 it's on.
Originally Posted by Dewinator View Post


I absolutely agree... for me Aqua was the most important option, I’d rather have gotten a 997.2 or 981 in Aqua than a 991 in another color.
Aqua Blue is absolutely gorgeous...between Aqua Blue and Sapphire Blue, Porsche hit it out of the park. My favorite blues!!!
Hurricane is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 AM
  #89  
K-A
Super User
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Dewinator View Post


I absolutely agree... for me Aqua was the most important option, I’d rather have gotten a 997.2 or 981 in Aqua than a 991 in another color.
Agreed! Same. My favorite option by far. It's addictive to look at, literally. Like I can't stop staring at it in different lighting and at different angles. It's so dynamic it's like you're seeing the car in a completely new light, constantly.

Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Aqua Blue is absolutely gorgeous...between Aqua Blue and Sapphire Blue, Porsche hit it out of the park. My favorite blues!!!
Werd!! Both stunning colors. And although I wish Porsche would provide them indefinitely, it's cool that they render them to very specific and limited years, so as to make them classic colors in their own rights.
K-A is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GTS Showdown Results - Total 911


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: