Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 steering software onto 991.1 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
What Brian is alluding to is the possibility that the software is actually the same and all of the feel differences are due to the actual suspension setup being different? I could see this...
I didn’t get that from his post. Seems like he’s only talking about software being the greatest contributor to “feel”. That was the whole point of his thread here. Correct?

I’ll let him clarify.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Brian@ABP
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I'm not saying that changing the coding/software on a C2S will change the vehicle to a GT3. That's comical. And I'm not trying to swap GT3 suspension parts into a C2S either. All I wanted to do is mirror the coding for the electronic steering from a GT3 to a C2S, which I have accomplished by disabling Power Steering Plus because that is how a GT3 comes from factory.

And NEVER did I state that this will provide you the same driving characteristics or performance of a GT3. All this does is give you a stiffer/heavier steering feel at lower speeds (< 50MPH) which is how the GT3's steering feels. That's all!!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brian@ABP
Guys, I'm not saying that changing the coding/software on a C2S will change the vehicle to a GT3. That's comical. And I'm not trying to swap GT3 suspension parts into a C2S either. All I wanted to do is mirror the coding for the electronic steering from a GT3 to a C2S, which I have accomplished by disabling Power Steering Plus because that is how a GT3 comes from factory.

And NEVER did I state that this will provide you the same driving characteristics or performance of a GT3. All this does is give you a stiffer/heavier steering feel at lower speeds (< 50MPH) which is how the GT3's steering feels. That's all!!

Please keep us posted. A “heavier” less assisted feeling would be a plus.

Not sure why you’re associating power steering plus with it?? That’s optional “add on” software that isn’t standard on any 991. Not even an option on the GT3.

Some clarification?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Brian@ABP
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by STG
Please keep us posted. A “heavier” less assisted feeling would be a plus.

Not sure why you’re associating power steering plus with it?? That’s optional “add on” software that isn’t standard on any 991. Not even an option on the GT3.

Some clarification?

Thanks
What I did was mirror the coding from a 991.1 GT3 in the steering section of Vehicle Data with my PIWIS onto the C2S. And yes, I can confirm the steering wheel is much stiffer. All I wanted.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:38 PM
STG
Race Director

What I did was mirror the coding from a 991.1 GT3 in the steering section of Vehicle Data with my PIWIS onto the C2S. And yes, I can confirm the steering wheel is much stiffer. All I wanted.

Nice. Quick question, did you have the power steering plus option on the C2S?

Trying to take that variable into consideration, as it would be good to compare a non power steering plus Carrera after the GT3 coding.

There is a significant difference in cars that do/don’t have the PSP option.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Brian@ABP
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by STG
Nice. Quick question, did you have the power steering plus option on the C2S?

Trying to take that variable into consideration, as it would be good to compare a non power steering plus Carrera after the GT3 coding.

There is a significant difference in cars that do/don’t have the PSP option.
yes, this C2S was fully loaded with options, including PSP
Old 09-25-2017, 04:59 PM
STG
Race Director

yes, this C2S was fully loaded with options, including PSP
So, it would have been good to compare it against a non PSP car to see if there’s actually any difference.

There is a huge difference in steering feel on Carreras that do and don’t have the PSP option.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:31 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Curious about this... I tried the same process, I have PIWIS as well, and what happened when I changed the vehicle to GT3 in these categories in Maintenance of Vehicle data was that all of the other systems - PSM, PASM, PTM - all 'broke'. So did you go in and do coding adaptations for all these modules and they updated accordingly and then functioned normally??

What I WAS able to do was disable PSP then go to electric power steering module and do automatic coding adaptation which I think updated the steering software to the 991.2 settings. Overall the feel at all speeds is improved with more road feel than before.

I also experimented with decoding power steering completely, which the steering then became very heavy at all speeds with absolutely no feedback at all, not good, so returned that back to standard INSTALLED.

Let's clarify this because there are some improvements to be gained with the coding process and an alignment to GT3 spec, which I've done on my 991.1 C2S - there is certainly more wriggling of the wheel and sensitivity to road feels but it's still nothing like my 997 turbo, although it is not bad at all, just different and more anesthetic.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:15 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

If anyone in the Bay Area with access to a PIWIS wants to help play around with this, happy to bring my .1S when the SIP is all over to experiment and try.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:31 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
If anyone in the Bay Area with access to a PIWIS wants to help play around with this, happy to bring my .1S when the SIP is all over to experiment and try.
I am actually thinking of just buying one of the Chinese clones. I should have ordered one when I paid the dealer to program out my spoiler for my duckbill retrofit. Ill let you know if I get one.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:28 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Yep, I'm in Orinda. When I am not blowing leaves my weekends are spent wrenching on my cars. If anyone wants to come by and use the PIWIS, we can arrange that.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:32 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey Joe, great to see you're still modding away! Iwrenchmy911 - love Orinda, let's arrange a time to check out the PIWIS once things are calmer... hoping this works as others have reported. Would love GT3 steering feel via software. Have you tried on your car?
Old 05-01-2020, 09:56 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe a group session in northern CA? I’m in and have been looking for this for years! Both on my ‘15 cayman and my ‘16 991.1 after driving a 991.1 GT3
Old 05-04-2020, 01:19 AM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Sure, just shoot me a PM or email iwrenchmy911@protonmail.com when you want to arrange a meetup. Yes I've done it to my car as I described I tried a couple of methods. I don't think it's like a GT3 now with just the steering software update. Other things we can do:

- Aero programming of rear spoiler i/e adjust the deflect angle so that it doesn't act like an air brake and adopts the settings for cars with aero kit and deploys at a lower angle.
- PDK calibration
- Comfort entry enable (although I'd need to poke around and find where this is set, it's not a setting I care much about so don't have it memorized)
- maintenance interval resets, oil change fill mode (I'll do an oil change for you for 70$ you bring the supplies and the Cokes)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 steering software onto 991.1 C2S?