Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ducktail + painted SPASM lip

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017 | 02:05 AM
johnc510
Instructor

Default Ducktail + painted SPASM lip

I recently bought the Sport Design duck tail and was contemplating whether to leave my SPASM lip unpainted or to paint it the body color. Knowing that scraping that SPASM lip is inevitable, I figured I'd go ahead and get it painted and then wrap Expel clear film over it. Hope it holds up (though I intend to take all speed bumps and driveways at an angle, driving 0.5 mph).

Anyhow, got the items painted and installed this past week and would like to share some photos of it. Wheels are HRE FF04. Car has been lowered with H&R springs.

Old 09-18-2017 | 03:47 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Car looks great. H&R drop made it sit much better.

I'm worried about your aero though. Porsche doesn't recommend running the duck with the standard front apron. SPASM lip doesn't do as much as the sport design aero.

im sure it'll be fine 99% of the time, but my OCD would bug me to get the matching front apron.
Old 09-18-2017 | 05:29 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive

I'm worried about your aero though. Porsche doesn't recommend running the duck with the standard front apron. SPASM lip doesn't do as much as the sport design aero.

im sure it'll be fine 99% of the time, but my OCD would bug me to get the matching front apron.
A Porsche engineer once said the same thing to me of the "danger" of using the duck without front aero. At high speed, there's chance that the car will "flip".

I think it will never happen at street driving unless you are at autobahn, so no worries.

PF
Old 09-18-2017 | 12:17 PM
johnc510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive

Yeah, I was concerned about this as well -- which is why I didn't get the ducktail sooner even though I love the look of the ducktail. But after my friend has had his ducktail and SPASM lip installed for over 2 years now with no problems, I decided to go for it. I'd love to get the sport design front bumper but can't justify to myself spending $4,000+ (after painting) for it.

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
A Porsche engineer once said the same thing to me of the "danger" of using the duck without front aero. At high speed, there's chance that the car will "flip".

I think it will never happen at street driving unless you are at autobahn, so no worries.
PF
Do you or anyone know what constitutes "high speed" enough to cause the car to start experiencing front lift? I don't track this car and don't ever plan to. I, might, on occasion open it up on a remote road straightaway to say 120mph but this is rare (if ever at all).
Old 09-18-2017 | 12:30 PM
shake1
Racer

Originally Posted by johnc510

Incredible look with the HREs and the duck. Also incredible pictures, looks like a quality camera.

Looks like our drought is clearly visible in the background... In which area did you take these pics?
Old 09-18-2017 | 01:40 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Wow, awesome pics and a very nice setup!
Old 09-18-2017 | 03:56 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Originally Posted by shake1
Incredible look with the HREs and the duck. Also incredible pictures, looks like a quality camera.

Looks like our drought is clearly visible in the background... In which area did you take these pics?
We are not in a drought. That is simply California grass during the summer.
Old 09-18-2017 | 04:45 PM
johnc510
Instructor

Originally Posted by shake1

Thanks. These were taken off some small road off of Patterson Pass Rd in Tracy, CA. This area always looks like this even when there's too much rain like this year. Like whiteducktail stated, California grass during the summer -- although this stuff is more like dried up weed.

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Wow, awesome pics and a very nice setup!
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2017 | 05:36 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Superb! I've had my eye on a duck for a while, I'd really love one in combination with a set of old style new Fuchs and sort of ape a modern 73RS ;-) problem is all together, those mods are adding up to serious $$$ which my older cars are sponging off before the 991 gets a chance at a turn... One day !
Old 09-19-2017 | 02:07 AM
johnc510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Superb! I've had my eye on a duck for a while, I'd really love one in combination with a set of old style new Fuchs and sort of ape a modern 73RS ;-) problem is all together, those mods are adding up to serious $$$ which my older cars are sponging off before the 991 gets a chance at a turn... One day !
The $$$ factor is also why I opted to not get the front Sport Design bumper. Although I do like the look of the complete sport design front and rear, the ducktail is really what I was after. And the total cost of the ducktail with paint came out to around $2400 (DIY install). Adding the front apron would have ended up adding a lot more than I wanted to spend to get the ducktail.
Old 09-19-2017 | 02:54 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Did you just go for the Suncoast kit for the Duck? Also did it include all the parts you needed for the conversion. I assumed you needed to get a hold of a PIWIS to deactivate the stock Wing?
Old 09-19-2017 | 05:51 PM
johnc510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
Did you just go for the Suncoast kit for the Duck? Also did it include all the parts you needed for the conversion. I assumed you needed to get a hold of a PIWIS to deactivate the stock Wing?
No, Suncoast was like $180 more than Sunset so I got it from Sunset. I honestly don't know why so many people shop with Suncoast. I have yet to find anything from them that's priced lower than Sunset. And some people have said you have to call them to get the lower prices... not true... I did that and they said they can't sell anything for less than what they have on their website. The spoiler had everything I needed to convert from the stock motorized spoiler to the ducktail -- including mounting bracket, wiring harness, screws/bolts, rubber grommits, and a blank insert that replaces the 991.1's upper brake light led strip.

Yes, you'll also need the dealership to hook it up to the PIWIS to deactivate the stock spoiler/button. I have an appointment for that so currently, the LED brake light on the ducktail is not active (it's plugged into the harness that would normally activate the stock spoiler -- which is only active when the stock spoiler is up).

You're also supposed to buy a sunroof module ~$200 -- which is supposed to adjust your sunroof so that it doesn't open as far back. Then there's the dealer cost to install and program the sunroof module (from what I've read, it's like 4 hours of labor). So, I opted to not buy the sunroof module because I don't drive on the freeway with the sunroof open. And if I ever get that urge to drive on the freeway with the sunroof open, I'll make sure I don't open it as far back.
Old 09-20-2017 | 05:32 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Spectacular with the ducktail J. Always a pleasure to see these photos.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 09-20-2017 | 11:34 PM
jennifer911
Racer

What’s with all the “a Porsche engineer told me the little pimple sized spoiler (duck tail) would flip the car over at high speeds” my guess there’s a lot of alcohol involved in the telling and retelling of these stories.

I have spent many hours in the passenger seat of sports cars that were butchered by earnest young (and older) men who thought any old aero crap they stuck on the car was “race car”, so good, right!

Take a look at roadway in some of Jonec510’s pictures, notice how rippled the pavement is. It’s very pronounced, but most roads have a little of this effect. If a big ol’ rear wing isn’t balanced out by the rest of the aerodynamic features of the car you can get seasick riding in the car. As stiffer springs cause the front of the car to pitch up over every bump, then drop down into every low spot, varying amounts of air entering under the car. This creates alternate high and low-pressure pulses under the chassis. This effect is closely followed by the back of the car pitching up and down changing the angle of attack and airflow over the rear wing alternating the amount of downforce it produces. Given enough mishmash of aero, a ride in the car can feel like a roller coaster.

Quick Reply: Ducktail + painted SPASM lip