Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on painted option for porsche logo / model designation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Thoughts on painted option for porsche logo / model designation?

Deciding on this small tweak for a .2 build. Seems it would work well for the blacked-out look but less sure for other colors...anyone have a photo?

My build is sapphire blue...but any colors outside of black or white would probably be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mean you want to option the blacked out Porsche logo? If so you can just google sapphire blue GTS 991.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT Silver, plate frame paint to match by IND

Old 09-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

I think that painting the rear model designation and Porsche script is a fantastic option. The 991 cars have too much badging on the back, and painting it helps the rear look cleaner. I'm also a fan of deleting the model designation, and just keeping the Porsche script on the back. I was a big fan of the 997 turbo cars that simply had the word "turbo" on the back.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Big fan of the option on some colors, but prefer simple model designation delete on other colors.

Just wish Porsche's configurator was a bit more intuitive when it comes to this option, as I missed that paint brush that pops up when you select it, which allows you to do nothing and get body color letters, or choose gloss black. I would have definitely done gloss black.

Then again, it's $380 to do so when the letters can be had in flat black or gloss black for $75 from Suncoast. Kind of a pain to put them on, but you get to keep $300.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TuonoR
Deciding on this small tweak for a .2 build. Seems it would work well for the blacked-out look but less sure for other colors...anyone have a photo?

My build is sapphire blue...but any colors outside of black or white would probably be helpful.

Thanks!
Yours is a subjective question so here is my subjective $.02:

Paint or not. Either looks great. But either have "PORSCHE" or the model designation. Much cleaner look. I went with "PORSCHE" because the GTS has the model designation painted on the doors and the light bar designates a "4." Together the brand and model designation is too, too, (let me repeat that) too, busy! Feel free to disagree.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Originally Posted by 72offsuit
The matching plate frame looks great. I'm having my wheels painted so I'll have to get my frames over to the painter. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Then again, it's $380 to do so when the letters can be had in flat black or gloss black for $75 from Suncoast. Kind of a pain to put them on, but you get to keep $300.
Or, about $8, and 90 minutes of your time, for a can of Plastidip, which can subsequently be removed.

For what it's worth, I am in the "too busy" camp. Remove model designation and determine which is the best look, based on the car color and your tastes. Chrome looks good as does black. Painted, to me, would be the last option. I like a contrasting color if it's going to be there. But I have seen some of the painted ones that give an "embossed" look, which is pretty cool.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Or, about $8, and 90 minutes of your time, for a can of Plastidip, which can subsequently be removed.

For what it's worth, I am in the "too busy" camp. Remove model designation and determine which is the best look, based on the car color and your tastes. Chrome looks good as does black. Painted, to me, would be the last option. I like a contrasting color if it's going to be there. But I have seen some of the painted ones that give an "embossed" look, which is pretty cool.

VERY nice work, if you accomplished that with Plastidip. May I ask if there's a thread on your masking technique? I am most interested. And how is it holding up?

Agreed on less badging is the way to go. And like the matte black Porsche lettering on the GTS to match the grill above, and gloss on Carrera/S to match the grill above. But not sure I like the gloss enough to go through the hassle of removing and replacing letters vs your Plastidip solution.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:38 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks. Yep, that's Plastidip. Like I said about 90 minutes, all done, including cleanup.

PM sent with details, since the thread is elsewhere.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 72offsuit
Looks great I am getting convinced...now anyone have it on a blue or red car?

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The 991 cars have too much badging on the back, and painting it helps the rear look cleaner. I'm also a fan of deleting the model designation, and just keeping the Porsche script on the back.
Originally Posted by stout
Big fan of the option on some colors, but prefer simple model designation delete on other colors.
Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Together the brand and model designation is too, too, (let me repeat that) too, busy! Feel free to disagree.
Originally Posted by skiahh
For what it's worth, I am in the "too busy" camp. Remove model designation and determine which is the best look, based on the car color and your tastes.
Totally agree. Already deleting the model designation (its a GT3 figure the wing is hard to miss). I would delete the Porsche badging too but figure painting it body color might be a nice in-between. Of course as soon as I gave the dealer my updated spec I started thinking it might look cheap on a non-neutral color.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Looks great I am getting convinced...now anyone have it on a blue or red car?"

Here you go!-Richard
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2017, 05:35 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN

Gorgeous GTS btw. Is it voodoo?

Originally Posted by budrichard
"Looks great I am getting convinced...now anyone have it on a blue or red car?"

Here you go!-Richard
Perfect...thanks Richard. I'm convinced!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It's Sapphire Blue.

FEELING BLUE AND IT'S GREAT - 2018 C4 GTS COUP
Old 09-14-2017, 06:40 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Thank you! Lots of gorgeous cars here...

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad

Thanks Gus.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on painted option for porsche logo / model designation?