Sponsored by:

3wks in the 911, loving life!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Love reading these posts. We love pics!

Also- to reinforce doing a full front... You'll totally regret it if you don't.

I have guards red - it would stick out on mine worse than black. Metallic colors would be "better" but you will absolutely end up redoing it. The lines will get dust and wax in them that you will not be able to 100% clean out.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
No surprise you're enjoying the new car. As I said in your other thread, the car looks great including the side stickers. I'd suggest that at 402 miles, the motor is fully broken in. The break-in period specified by manufacturers is for insurance and lawyer purposes, not the motor. It takes longer to break in things like clutches and tires than the motor. Here is an excellent article: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm As you can see, their suggested break-in is exactly the opposite of lugging the car in traffic.

I've had five 911s going back to 1990 and a 944 for eight years before that. Never needed PPF. Sold my 2006 4S Cabriolet after 11 years and there was not a mark on it. It was not babied. If you do get some marks on the front, there are guys now who can touch them up for very little money and you absolutely cannot tell it's been done. Just a thought before you spend that much money. That's probably the blessing of living in Southern California.

Since you are on your "Porsche high," you may want to know that the San Diego Porsche Club of America region is holding its Concours d'Elegance at Spanish Landing this Saturday, the 16th. It will be Porsche overload. Last Sunday was The Concourse in Santa Monica and a good time was had by all. October 8th will be a similar function in Santa Barbara. That's where the tending just for the beautiful drive.

Lastly, if you like the car now, wait until you really get on it....
Thanks for the tips!!! I may just have to head down for that event. I assume I need to join PCA? Was planning on it anyway, but not sure about this event, these are the type of trips I wanted to do. For sure doing Laguna Seca Porsche event next sept. That sounds awesome!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:59 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
I wish people would not refer to OCD this way. I know no harm is meant. But if you knew anyone who truly suffers from this disease you'd never refer to it this way, or any way at all. Be thankful you don't have it.

Sorry to take it off topic.
I apologize. Did not mean to offend.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:00 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

Great looking car. I had to laugh at the traffic comment as my daughter and her husband are on a plane moving to Newport Beach. I guess I will hear the horror stories about the traffic. I was there last March, great area. Enjoy your car.
Eric
Old 09-12-2017, 02:03 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Thanks for the tips!!! I may just have to head down for that event. I assume I need to join PCA? Was planning on it anyway, but not sure about this event, these are the type of trips I wanted to do. For sure doing Laguna Seca Porsche event next sept. That sounds awesome!
You're welcome. No need to join PCA but it is a pretty good information source for very little money. I'd love to see your car in person so if you get up to the westside of LA, shoot me a message.

Last edited by 9ELOVIN; 09-12-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had five 911s going back to 1990 and a 944 for eight years before that. Never needed PPF. Sold my 2006 4S Cabriolet after 11 years and there was not a mark on it.
I don't know how you managed that.

I owned a Toyota Supra Turbo from 1998 to 2014. My wife had one from 2000 to 2014. Rock chips and paint damage were definitely a thing on both cars. At one point the entire front bumper of my car needed a respray. We ended up respraying her car's left front fender because a touch-up attempt went bad.

Whether PPF makes sense is largely a time and risk issue, IMHO. If you're only going to own a car a few years, odds are pretty good you won't pick up any paint problems. After 10+ years of ownership I'd think it would be a near certainty, but I guess you can still get lucky.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You're welcome. No need to join PCA but it is a pretty good information source for very little money. I'd love to see your car in person so if you get up to the westside of LA, shoot me a message.
for sure, would love to see your GTS! Are there any P-Car functions in LA area?

Let me know.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

Congratulations, sounds like you're enjoying your car. What a great color!
Keep driving.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Congrats and continue to enjoy. Definitely get the front wrap ASAP. It will chip and bum you out if you don't. The film works really well in my experience.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:07 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

I would skip PPF on a lease, especially shorter term.

For me, the most likely benefit of PPF is reducing road rash. Within the time and mileage in your lease terms, road rash should be minimal, and "normal" wear and tear. For a long term keeper, road rash can get bad after several years and tens of thousands of miles--that's when I expect/hope PPF will make a difference.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
for sure, would love to see your GTS! Are there any P-Car functions in LA area?
Let me know.
The Porsche Club LA Region Concourse was last weekend. Great event. How about the second Sunday in October for the Sunset GT? It's a morning cars and coffee in West Hollywood. My car will be demonstrating the Rick Reus Sound System so I'll be there.

Quick Reply: 3wks in the 911, loving life!