Sponsored by:

3wks in the 911, loving life!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 3wks in the 911, loving life!

Took deliver 3 weeks and 402 miles ago. Love, love, love this car. It's everything I hoped it would be. Going through the usual new car pain of parking 3 miles away from everyone, etc. only drove to work 2 times, it was too much stress in 5 mph traffic for 72 miles round trip. Almost got rear ended on day one by some lady texting. Decided I will continue to drive the other P car on the days I go to Pasadena, the Prius, or my wife's BMW.

So today I am coming home car in front of me has a front tire blow out rubber flys in the air and hits my front end and windshield before losing control, yikes! They were okay as was my Prius but this confirmed that the 911 will be a pleasure car for the weekend when there is about 60% less cars and trucks on the road. Will need to buff out a couple spots on the hood, nothing too bad. I would have died if I drove the Porsche today

So can't wait to pass break-in to open this baby up! Had a great drive down PCH over the weekend, lots of compliments about the Miami Blue. Makes me wish at times I should just keep it at the end of the lease, but with the 992 coming out I can't wait to see what Porsche does. We shall see, so now I am dealing with adding PPF just incase I can't part with it

Anyhow, learned so much here and decided to pull the trigger, thanks to you guys, so any others on the fence with their dream of getting a 911, just do it! I am seriously kicking myself for waiting so long, these cars are just intoxicatingly!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:27 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats. Great to hear someone so jazzed for the 911.

You also sound like a good candidate for full frontal PPF.
A lot fewer worries about stuff messing up your car.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:41 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Oh I am thinking about it but I leased it, as the 992s are going to out in a couple years and I could not wait any longer. I figured if I loved it I would keep it, sell it, or get a 992. Just don't know where I will be in 3 years with it. I go back and forth with PPF, is a like don't like thing, $1650 of a full front end and and mirrors. If I don't keep her it's $$ gone, (lol, like that's not already the case with these cars right)?

The full front fender PPF would have to go over the factory Porsche decal on the side, that would suck if I ever have to replace the film as that decal is coming off too. Also, one of the installers said sometime the Porsche head lights delaminate if the film is removed wth????

Perhaps just partial hood and front fenders? Oh but the dreaded line. Decisions decisions. Need to do it fast before I get a chip.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Oh I am thinking about it but I leased it, as the 992s are going to out in a couple years and I could not wait any longer. I figured if I loved it I would keep it, sell it, or get a 992. Just don't know where I will be in 3 years with it. I go back and forth with PPF, is a like don't like thing, $1650 of a full front end and and mirrors. If I don't keep her it's $$ gone, (lol, like that's not already the case with these cars right)?

The full front fender PPF would have to go over the factory Porsche decal on the side, that would suck if I ever have to replace the film as that decal is coming off too. Also, one of the installers said sometime the Porsche head lights delaminate if the film is removed wth????

Perhaps just partial hood and front fenders? Oh but the dreaded line. Decisions decisions. Need to do it fast before I get a chip.
Don't do partial hood whatever you do.

Full front is worth it if you have Porsche OCD (I'm not a doctor, but I sense that
you do). Main benefit: Peace of mind lets you drive more.

Yes it's sunk cost and doesn't come back to you, but for $50/mo, if you drive 2 days a month more, I think it's worth it.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:43 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Lol, you are correct, it's Porsche OCD. Well I did it one my last "purchased" car, BMW 535, kept that car for just over 3 years, lost the $$ on the PPF and a boatload of depreciation, lol. I guess it's no different this time, in the leased car. I will not keep this one past 4 years/50k. I will not keep these out of factory warranty, same with our BMWs, just don't feel lucky. I think I may just do it. Also need to switch out those orange marker lights for clear.

I will see what the installer says about the full fender coverage going over the decal.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude, you need to chill. I used to be the same way, but its just a car. I drive all my cars to NYC. Yes, I'm careful about where I park but life is too short not to drive the **** out of the car. It can take it. Bumper needs a respray, no biggie, especially with a lease. Drive it, if its clean in 3 years, maybe buy it. If its a little rough due to all the smiles, then give it back. Done. Period.

As to the Xpel, I don't really follow what you are saying in terms of the crest (which they put the film under) or the cost. 1,650 for full front is a good deal and prob only one lease payment. The throwing your $$ away comment is a little weird. It would give you so much piece of mind its worth double.

My take, please do not take it with anything other than someone that used to have the same disease. Im cured for a few years. I rather drive it than worry about it. And IF something happens, I fix it and move on.

Last edited by Michael_s; 09-12-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Glad you are enjoying the car.
I previously had a car that was my garage queen and weekend driver. 5 years in the car was immaculate, 8000 miles, never had even used the windshield wipers. Then one morning I was out for a cruise and some moron side swiped me and ruined it. I decided I had missed a lot of good times trying to be protective of it and look where I ended up. Just drive the thing and enjoy it! Particularly if it is a lease and you are turning it in anyways.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:24 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

As with most things, everything in moderation. I'm clearly OCD about taking care of my cars, which doesn't mean I don't drive them. My GTS that I got Memorial Day weekend isn't my DD but is already approaching 3k miles. A rock took a chip out of my front spoiler on the highway and I already have a small rock chip in the windshield. Bummer. But it's darn clean because I enjoy cleaning it, and the PPF and ceramic coating sure make it easier to keep clean. And yes, I can unfortunately confirm that the wipers work!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:14 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
As with most things, everything in moderation. I'm clearly OCD about taking care of my cars, which doesn't mean I don't drive them. My GTS that I got Memorial Day weekend isn't my DD but is already approaching 3k miles. A rock took a chip out of my front spoiler on the highway and I already have a small rock chip in the windshield. Bummer. But it's darn clean because I enjoy cleaning it, and the PPF and ceramic coating sure make it easier to keep clean. And yes, I can unfortunately confirm that the wipers work!
I wish people would not refer to OCD this way. I know no harm is meant. But if you knew anyone who truly suffers from this disease you'd never refer to it this way, or any way at all. Be thankful you don't have it.

Sorry to take it off topic.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions, no offense taken

Sorry about the OCD, but I do suffer from a little bit, for real. I go through this phase with all my stuff, it will wear off a little. I think I am still more in shock that a lifetime dream finally became reality. I will think on it a bit more. I do plan to drive the heck out of it, but driving to work in bumper to bumper traffic with all the hazards sucked. Driving it wine tasting in Paso or Napa is what I plan, pleasure driving, not commuting, that's what the Prius is for.

Anyhow, just wanted to comment for anybody on the fence like I was for a few years, don't wait, just get it , there is no way to really rationalize driving a 911, other than pure desire.

Last edited by titan7; 09-12-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:14 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7

So cool to hear someone else as enthused as I am!! Not sure why anyone would PPF a leased car but to each his own. I finally did my front bumper , hood and mirrors. Got expel ultimate and its pretty good but i can see it. Enjoy your car Brother!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:47 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
So cool to hear someone else as enthused as I am!! Not sure why anyone would PPF a leased car but to each his own. I finally did my front bumper , hood and mirrors. Got expel ultimate and its pretty good but i can see it. Enjoy your car Brother!
Leased as I might keep it if the 992 does not work for me. I started leasing when I realized I wanted a new car every 3-4 years. Was basically dumping the same $$ but not tying up $50k in a car. From my perspective it's the same thing unless buying as in all cash. When I sold my 535 with PPF, I lost that $$ and the deprecation on the car, that was a "financed" purchase. Ymmv. Did not mean to turn this in a lease/finance discussion sorry!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad you are enjoying your new 911. Truly a great car! Had mine for over a year now and still love it. I did not protect the front and have some chips. Also a leased car, so we will see what I do at end of lease. Buy and repair or move into another 911. I got a 911.2 C2s with all the handling goodies so am leaning towards buying the car.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

No surprise you're enjoying the new car. As I said in your other thread, the car looks great including the side stickers. I'd suggest that at 402 miles, the motor is fully broken in. The break-in period specified by manufacturers is for insurance and lawyer purposes, not the motor. It takes longer to break in things like clutches and tires than the motor. Here is an excellent article: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm As you can see, their suggested break-in is exactly the opposite of lugging the car in traffic.

I've had five 911s going back to 1990 and a 944 for eight years before that. Never needed PPF. Sold my 2006 4S Cabriolet after 11 years and there was not a mark on it. It was not babied. If you do get some marks on the front, there are guys now who can touch them up for very little money and you absolutely cannot tell it's been done. Just a thought before you spend that much money. That's probably the blessing of living in Southern California.

Since you are on your "Porsche high," you may want to know that the San Diego Porsche Club of America region is holding its Concours d'Elegance at Spanish Landing this Saturday, the 16th. It will be Porsche overload. Last Sunday was The Concourse in Santa Monica and a good time was had by all. October 8th will be a similar function in Santa Barbara. That's where the tending just for the beautiful drive.

Lastly, if you like the car now, wait until you really get on it....
Old 09-12-2017, 12:27 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Love reading these posts. We love pics!

Also- to reinforce doing a full front... You'll totally regret it if you don't.

I have guards red - it would stick out on mine worse than black. Metallic colors would be "better" but you will absolutely end up redoing it. The lines will get dust and wax in them that you will not be able to 100% clean out.

Quick Reply: 3wks in the 911, loving life!