Sponsored by:

Leather option confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:25 PM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Leather option confusion

Am I the only one that finds the configurator frustratingly confusing when it comes to leather options? I really like a leather interior, but most of my past cars have included such as standard. But if I want a "full leather" interior on my 991.2 (which I assume is what results if I click on all of the myriad leather options on the configurator), I'm adding a whopping $18,010 to the price of my car. EIGHTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS???!!! Are you freaking kidding me??

Leather interior/seats leather (black) $3,850
Interior leather package i.c.w. leather interior $1,100
Extended interior package, dashboard trim in leather $1,770
Extended interior package, door panel in leather $690
Extended interior package, rear in leather $1,560
Sun visors in leather $560
Instrument surround in leather $380
Steering column casing in leather $470
Transmission tunnel in leather $1,020
Climate control panel in leather $870
Air vents in leather $1,720
Sport seats plus backrest shells in leather $1,870
Fuse box covers in leather $390
Belt outlet trim in leather $560
Rear center tunnel in leather w/ decorative stitching $1,200

Can someone please help me determine which of these I should sensibly select and which ones I should leave off? The descriptions supplied on the configurator are confusing to me.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bmclaurin
Am I the only one that finds the configurator
frustratingly confusing when it comes to leather
options?

Can someone please help me determine which
of these I should sensibly select and which ones
I should leave off? The descriptions supplied on
the configurator are confusing to me.
No, you are not the only one that find the leather
'business' at Porsche confusing. This lady was
most useful in helping me learn about the leather
options. But I don't think she works at 'Exclusive
Manufaktur' any longer:

I also found some nuggets of information at this
thread, but it could use updates from those
ordering their .2 991 leather interiors at present:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
The following users liked this post:
evanbahr (11-13-2023)
Old 09-11-2017, 03:30 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

It's nuts, really. You'll get a lot of differing opinions, of course...

You need this, of course: Leather interior/seats leather (black) $3,850

This one is reasonable if you want to cover with leather the silvery trim on the doors and above the glovebox, and the trim around the console: Interior leather package i.c.w. leather interior $1,100

Some people like this because it is kind of visible, but it's expensive for a few bits of leather: Extended interior package, dashboard trim in leather $1,770

Get this for colors other than black: Steering column casing in leather $470

I'm always tempted by this one, pricey though: Air vents in leather $1,720

Get this if you get the 18-way seats and don't like the plastic back shells: Sport seats plus backrest shells in leather $1,870

If you want these, you can order them later from Suncoast without the airbag warning stickers: Sun visors in leather $560

To me, all of these have dubious value:

Old 09-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by digits

This one is reasonable if you want to cover with leather the silvery trim on the doors and above the glovebox, and the trim around the console: Interior leather package i.c.w. leather interior $1,100

Some people like this because it is kind of visible, but it's expensive for a few bits of leather: Extended interior package, dashboard trim in leather $1,770

Get this if you get the 18-way seats and don't like the plastic back shells: Sport seats plus backrest shells in leather $1,870

If you want these, you can order them later from Suncoast without the airbag warning stickers: Sun visors in leather $560

Good summary, especially for interiors without any deviated stitching. That's a whole other ball of wax. Then you need lots of bits in leather AND pay extra to have them change bobbins on the sewing machines.

Eduardo, didn't she run off with Deiter of '80s SNL fame?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 981 Boxster has the standard leather interior.
For my 991.2 because it is my Daily Driver for winter in Wisconsin, I ordered the Standard Interior with the dash, doors and Console trim in leather to reduce the bright bits.
Frankly I can't tell the interior of one from the other for the leather or leather type bits!
If you want leather, I would consider Leather To Sample.
My next will be probably be a Turbo S where the leather seems to be included in the price.-Richard
BTW, the Posted pic is an apt visual of Dealing with Porsche Exclusive!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 AM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche appeals to people with very deep pockets and is very money hungry company. Sometimes I can't understand the logic behind their options. It is the most profitable car company in the world averaging $23,000 per car more than Bentley. In the name of safety it was the first to introduce passenger air bags in cars as standard. However, on current 911 lane change assist (LCA) which is a safety feature is a $850 option. This and other safety features are standard in cars costing less than $20,000. I am on this forum to learn more of the 911 that I intend to purchase in a few months and accepted that I will be overcharged on the car, options and dealer service because I am seduced by the car. After all it is capitalism at its best because they have no real competition
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

But they were all grass fed.
The following users liked this post:
evanbahr (11-13-2023)
Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
After all it is capitalism at its best because they have no real competition
Especially if you insist on a MT. That option is slimmer and slimmer every year.
Corvette. Mustang. Camaro. Miata. Any others?
Not Ferrari, Lambo, NSX, R8, etc.
No really comparable animal.

No one held a gun to my head, but yes, most sane people would reasonably expect full leather standard on a $100K+ "mass production" car.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 PM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by digits

Thank you for this, very helpful. Well, all the replies are helpful so thanks to all of you. I was thinking of doing it pretty much the way you summarized it, but no seat backs in leather, no air vents, but add door panel. Your post helped sort this out in my mind. Thank you.

I do wish the descriptions were better on the configurator, or that they had diagrams for each options pointing very specifically to which parts *exactly* are covered. For example, what is "instrument surround?" Is that not the big "bubble" in the dash behind the steering wheel that wraps around the main gauge cluster, and if so, why wouldn't that already be covered in leather if you selected the leather dash option? There are several other unhelpful descriptions on there, this is just one example.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:15 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know where you are located, but right now Park Place in Dallas has a CPO TTS on the showroom that someone added EVERY leather and deviated stitching option there is so you could see exactly and decide what you want and what you don't care about. It really helped me to see how rich certain areas make the car look and feel versus spots you won't really notice.
This guy optioned a TTS up to 248k, wife got mad, he had to give it back, and now with 90 miles it is sitting there for 214K.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
I don't know where you are located, but right now Park Place in Dallas has a CPO TTS on the showroom that someone added EVERY leather and deviated stitching option there is so you could see exactly and decide what you want and what you don't care about. It really helped me to see how rich certain areas make the car look and feel versus spots you won't really notice.
This guy optioned a TTS up to 248k, wife got mad, he had to give it back, and now with 90 miles it is sitting there for 214K.

Funny you say this, because I did exactly that at Park Place about a week ago......that car helped me see all the options first hand, including sitting in some 18ways for a good stint.

Didnt help with my color choice, but straightened out the leather options! 😆
Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JFerraro17

Didnt help with my color choice, but straightened out the leather options! 😆
I hear you! I have literally gone mad trying to choose my color. I have gone from PTS VooDoo Blue, to guards red, to racing yellow, to Miami blue, and now I do not know which to order. My SA has been so patient, and I have confused myself beyond repair. All I know for sure is that I want "bright: to go with GTS black accents.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

All I know for sure is that I want "bright: to go with GTS black accents.
Pastel Orange.

Unless you're an Aggie
Old 09-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I hear you! I have literally gone mad trying to choose my color. I have gone from PTS VooDoo Blue, to guards red, to racing yellow, to Miami blue, and now I do not know which to order. My SA has been so patient, and I have confused myself beyond repair. All I know for sure is that I want "bright: to go with GTS black accents.
Black, white, gray, blue and silver are the blend in colors.

Everything else are the look at me colors.

Which are you?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmclaurin
Thank you for this, very helpful. Well, all the replies are helpful so thanks to all of you. I was thinking of doing it pretty much the way you summarized it, but no seat backs in leather, no air vents, but add door panel. Your post helped sort this out in my mind. Thank you.

I do wish the descriptions were better on the configurator, or that they had diagrams for each options pointing very specifically to which parts *exactly* are covered. For example, what is "instrument surround?" Is that not the big "bubble" in the dash behind the steering wheel that wraps around the main gauge cluster, and if so, why wouldn't that already be covered in leather if you selected the leather dash option? There are several other unhelpful descriptions on there, this is just one example.
Your Sales Advisor has a computer that will show every option in 3D.
You should take advantage of this service.
If your SA won't or can't do this, find another.
As to pricing, Porsche sells to mant types of buyers. Some do not want modern features such as LCA, some do. It costs money to keep a suite of options, engineering costs money to produce a Porsche that is not in a $20k car, Quality Control and Assurance costs money.
It's your decision to pay the price but this Topic is about Leather and to keep bringing up these oft repeated mantra at every opportunity is boring.-Richard

Quick Reply: Leather option confusion