Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Get the TT.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
I believe Nick Murray knows a bit more than you about porsche . Lol.
Why? Why would you assert such a thing? Anyone who has watched Nick's channel knows he's just a Porsche owner who happens to make YouTube videos. He's not a professional driver or reviewer. He appears to know about as much or as little about Porsches as the average Rennlist member.

He's often entertaining, but entertaining isn't the same as expertise. He's frequently wrong or just underinformed when talking about technical aspects of the cars. He also has the unfortunate tendency to state matters of personal taste as if they were objective fact - like the way he frequently sneers at Racing Yellow (which I've seen him do in the last 3 videos of his I've watched), or his opinions on which interior colors work and which don't (which is ironic since his own choice of interior colors for his 991.2 4S is quite unattractive to my eye).

That doesn't mean he's always wrong. It just means he's nothing resembling an authority. Linking to his video on his opinion of the various 911 trims is like linking to an extensive post on the same subject by a random forum member here.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Why? Why would you assert such a thing? Anyone who has watched Nick's channel knows he's just a Porsche owner who happens to make YouTube videos. He's not a professional driver or reviewer. He appears to know about as much or as little about Porsches as the average Rennlist member.

He's often entertaining, but entertaining isn't the same as expertise. He's frequently wrong or just underinformed when talking about technical aspects of the cars. He also has the unfortunate tendency to state matters of personal taste as if they were objective fact - like the way he frequently sneers at Racing Yellow (which I've seen him do in the last 3 videos of his I've watched), or his opinions on which interior colors work and which don't (which is ironic since his own choice of interior colors for his 991.2 4S is quite unattractive to my eye).

That doesn't mean he's always wrong. It just means he's nothing resembling an authority. Linking to his video on his opinion of the various 911 trims is like linking to an extensive post on the same subject by a random forum member here.
Nick talks about his ownership experiences and discusses comparison's from a consumer perspective between similar cars at times. I don't know technical Nick is or is not... but that's not the spirit of his videos.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Nick talks about his ownership experiences and discusses comparison's from a consumer perspective between similar cars at times.
Which is what you get from forum members, too. You can link to one of his videos as an opinion, or one owner's experience with his car, but not as some sort of definitive authority on the subject.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Which is what you get from forum members, too. You can link to one of his videos as an opinion, or one owner's experience with his car, but not as some sort of definitive authority on the subject.
Absolutely. Tons of conjecture and even most of the fats are skewed by personal preferences.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

The first name should be Nick on you tube. As far as nonsense and misinformation that is incorrect. Your comment lacks any merit or proof. Just that empty words. Perhaps mention why you believe it's misinformation. I believe Nick Murray knows a bit more than you about porsche . Lol. The 991.1 is different than the 991.2. Would I get a TT 911.2 probably but for a daily driver not sure. But my 911.2 4S has the rear steering, love taking around those curves and the car is fast. But buying a .1 when a .2 is more advance. Granted a 991.2 TT is a beast so spend the extra bucks and go for it otherwise save the difference in money and enjoy a 4S . Many opinions here but at the end it's what you feel .
Ok, since you asked.

1) "The 17 991.2 4s is exclusive with rear steering."

No, it is not. The ’15 TTS comes standard with rear wheel steering whereas it is an added option in the '17 4S. And as far as the Carrera line-up, it is offered in the .2 S and GTS models as well. So it is not exclusive to the 4S.

2) “Also it has a turbo engine.”

The 4S has a turbo engine but is a 3.0L turbo vs. 3.8L turbo in the TTS. The TTS has 110 more hp.

3) “A carrera agree is common but not the 4S.”

The topic is between a TTS and 4S, not 4S vs. Carrera.

4) “The 4s is plenty fast. Watch Norman Murray YouTube video on the different Porsches . Money is a consideration.”

Nick Murray posts interesting and entertaining videos but they certainly do not provide an authoritative source of information. You referenced his video as if it were evidence that the 4S is the superior choice.

5) “But when someone pulls up in a 17- 4S with PSM you may wish you did .”

You’re suggesting here that the 4S would be faster than the TTS which is complete nonsense. And how is PSM even a relevant factor here?

So basically every statement in your post is ridiculous.

Last edited by Rambler_13; 09-11-2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Edit: The TTS has 140 more hp than the 4S without powerkit.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:51 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JJD911
First time potential 911 convertible buyer. Both cars around $150k, 7500 miles, PDK, and CPO'ed. 4S is very well optioned ( $175k MSRP). Not looking to trade my 2016 Corvette Z06 convertible. Pleasure car approx. 2000 miles per year - no tracking. Thank you for your input.
You could make the 4S nearly as fast as a regular turbo with some sport cats and a tune (GIAC is really the only option at the moment)

If your planning on leaving it stock I think you might be underwhelmed by its acceleration when compared to a Z06.

From everything I've been reading about the new 3.0T in all the C2/C2S/C4/C4S/GTS/etc. 991's is that they can pickup nearly 100whp with basic bolt ons and a tune.

I looked at exactly the same cars you are when I purchased my car a few weeks ago, except I was looking at coupes. I ended up getting a loaded '17 GTS. I will also be tuning and bolting on all of the reasonable performance enhancements. The 4S with a tune and some bolt ons should be into TT territory and you get all the new cosmetic and technology updates.

Maybe you can get the best of both worlds.

GL with your decision!

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 09-11-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 962 Posts

Wow, this thread took an interesting turn.

I've been fortunate enough to own three 911s over the last ten years, including a 996 C4S, a 997 TT cabriolet, and my current 991 TTS cabriolet. I've spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of a 991.1 C4S cabriolet, although I must admit that I haven't yet driven a 991.2 C4S.

I faced a similar dilemma when I bought my TTS last year. I was considering a new 2016 C4S cabriolet, or a CPO 2014 TTS cabriolet. There were strong arguments to be made for either car. I obviously chose the TTS, and I don't regret that decision. I would make the same decision again if given the opportunity. I realize that my decision wasn't exactly the same as the OP's decision, since I was considering two versions of the 991.1 car, while the OP is considering 991.1 TTS vs. 991.2 C4S.

Here are a few of the things that I considered and ultimately helped me decide on the TTS:

- The TTS is the flagship of the 911 line. As such, it is equipped with many standard features that are optional on other models. These include things like rear-axle steering, full-leather interiors, dynamic engine mounts, etc. If you are considering a heavily optioned car, the TTS offers value because it is equipped with so many features that are optional on other vehicles. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it appears that heavily optioned cars take a bigger hit on depreciation than cars that are more sparsely optioned.
- The TTS is produced in smaller numbers than other variants of the 911, and it tends to hold resale value better than many other variants.
- The two year old car has already taken a depreciation hit, and it is moving towards a more stable depreciation curve than the newer car.
- Personally, I like the more aggressive styling of the TTS compared to the other versions of the 911.
- Personally, I like the driving experience of the traditional Porsche turbo cars. I know that some people prefer the normally-aspirated driving experience, and there's nothing wrong with that. In the case of the 991.2 C4S, you're still considering a turbocharged vehicle, although it's designed and optimized to replicate the experience of a normally aspirated car as much as possible.
- The TTS cabriolet and the C4S cabriolet are both AWD cars, and they are both on the heavy side of the 911 range. As a result, the chassis dynamics are quite similar between them. If you were comparing a C2 vs. a TTS, then this would be a different discussion.

To me, the reasons to by the 991.2 C4S would be that you wanted the updated PCM with Apple CarPlay, you like styling better than the TTS (or perhaps colors or other subjective things), and you'd be buying a newer car with more warranty. Beyond these things, I can't see a reason not to buy the 991.1 TTS. This would be an easy decision for me. Again.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Wow, this thread took an interesting turn.

I've been fortunate enough to own three 911s over the last ten years, including a 996 C4S, a 997 TT cabriolet, and my current 991 TTS cabriolet. I've spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of a 991.1 C4S cabriolet, although I must admit that I haven't yet driven a 991.2 C4S.

I faced a similar dilemma when I bought my TTS last year. I was considering a new 2016 C4S cabriolet, or a CPO 2014 TTS cabriolet. There were strong arguments to be made for either car. I obviously chose the TTS, and I don't regret that decision. I would make the same decision again if given the opportunity. I realize that my decision wasn't exactly the same as the OP's decision, since I was considering two versions of the 991.1 car, while the OP is considering 991.1 TTS vs. 991.2 C4S.

Here are a few of the things that I considered and ultimately helped me decide on the TTS:

- The TTS is the flagship of the 911 line. As such, it is equipped with many standard features that are optional on other models. These include things like rear-axle steering, full-leather interiors, dynamic engine mounts, etc. If you are considering a heavily optioned car, the TTS offers value because it is equipped with so many features that are optional on other vehicles. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it appears that heavily optioned cars take a bigger hit on depreciation than cars that are more sparsely optioned.
- The TTS is produced in smaller numbers than other variants of the 911, and it tends to hold resale value better than many other variants.
- The two year old car has already taken a depreciation hit, and it is moving towards a more stable depreciation curve than the newer car.
- Personally, I like the more aggressive styling of the TTS compared to the other versions of the 911.
- Personally, I like the driving experience of the traditional Porsche turbo cars. I know that some people prefer the normally-aspirated driving experience, and there's nothing wrong with that. In the case of the 991.2 C4S, you're still considering a turbocharged vehicle, although it's designed and optimized to replicate the experience of a normally aspirated car as much as possible.
- The TTS cabriolet and the C4S cabriolet are both AWD cars, and they are both on the heavy side of the 911 range. As a result, the chassis dynamics are quite similar between them. If you were comparing a C2 vs. a TTS, then this would be a different discussion.

To me, the reasons to by the 991.2 C4S would be that you wanted the updated PCM with Apple CarPlay, you like styling better than the TTS (or perhaps colors or other subjective things), and you'd be buying a newer car with more warranty. Beyond these things, I can't see a reason not to buy the 991.1 TTS. This would be an easy decision for me. Again.
Well said Dennis. Also, some folks want a manual, end of story, and will not even consider a PDK-only model. But in this particular case, both models being considered have PDK. A Targa is another good example of where one might have a preference towards since it is not offered on the Turbo models.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:24 PM
JJD911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis C. Thank you for your comprehensive response. Since this would be my first Porsche, I want to be sure to weigh all of the pros and cons on each of these beautiful cars. As discussed previously, I was very impressed with the 2016 TT I drove last year. My local Porsche dealer has a 2017 C4S CPO that I want to drive to help guide me to a great decision.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who responded to my original question.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 962 Posts

You bet. Enjoy the hunt. Shopping for a Porsche is a process that few people experience.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
Ok, since you asked.

So basically every statement in your post is ridiculous.
You seem a bit hostile . Never said a TT is faster. I think your style is offensive and looking to ridicule. Kind of like a bully. Gave my thoughts and NEVER said Nick Murray was the guru of Porsche. We are Porsche owners not competitors in an arena. Just breath the air. I think nick does a great job and gives his perspective.

A15 TT is a beautiful car. It was my choice to get the 4S Cabrio. But as you mentioned the car play and newer features are in the 17. Plus the warranty factor. Perhaps in a few years trade my 4s for a TT. But as all here enjoy your ride and the forum. We are not hear to tear each other down.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:41 AM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You seem a bit hostile . Never said a TT is faster. I think your style is offensive and looking to ridicule. Kind of like a bully. Gave my thoughts and NEVER said Nick Murray was the guru of Porsche. We are Porsche owners not competitors in an arena. Just breath the air. I think nick does a great job and gives his perspective.

A15 TT is a beautiful car. It was my choice to get the 4S Cabrio. But as you mentioned the car play and newer features are in the 17. Plus the warranty factor. Perhaps in a few years trade my 4s for a TT. But as all here enjoy your ride and the forum. We are not hear to tear each other down.
ever met a humble p car owner? Me neither... lol

Quick Reply: 2017 4s or 2015 TTS.