Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise/Rattle in ventilated (passenger) seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017 | 06:24 PM
cug
Instructor

Default Noise/Rattle in ventilated (passenger) seat

One thing that's driving me nuts with my new 991.2 is a faint noise from the passenger seat. It's like a "ticking clicking rattle" – a little bit like tapping your fingernail on the center console plastic. Faint, but always present. It seems to be triggered by the slight vibration the empty seat has even on nearly perfectly good roads.

When the road gets bad it can develop into an actual rattle, depending on the frequency of the vibration the uneven road creates.

I fear it's something inside the seat, maybe related to the ventilation fans or cabling to them.

Has anybody dealt with that before? Did your dealer/shop resolve the issue?

Overall I'm a bit disappointed with the interior (assembly) quality as I've already resolved multiple rattles myself. My Audis and even our Mini Coopers are/were much better in that regard.
Old 09-08-2017 | 10:38 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I actually agree with you. Porsches have become very bad for rattles, vibrations and squeaks right out of the factory. The interior quality has declined as the company has increased volume. I had a Turbo S with a drivers seat rattle that could never get resolved. It appeared about 6 months of ownership. Drove me crazy. I hope you can get it resolved.
Old 09-08-2017 | 10:51 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Very hard to decide if the rattle from your car is similar to mine. In my 991.1 with 18-way seats, there was a rattle when no one was sitting on it. The rattle was most pronounced when going over some rough roads. My dealer's technician finally solved it when he found the air pump in the seat was loose. Hope this helps.

When I was researching this issue, I read another poster's discovery. In his case, it was the release latch mechanism. There is a thread somewhere about rattles, you just have to search for it.
Old 09-09-2017 | 12:28 AM
cug
Instructor

Yeah, it's possible that is has to do with the venting or the latch mechanism, although it's hard to say. I need to do some more experimenting.

Overall, now that I've done a few things myself, there are only two areas I'm aware of that still are annoying, one only when it's cold. If seats hadn't become such marvels of complexity, I would tackle the seat myself, but I think I will leave this to the service department. The car is brand new and made the noise(s) from day one.
Old 09-10-2017 | 01:12 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Someone at the factory lost some maracas in my car. They lost them in the sunroof. They also lost them in the dash. They also lost them somewhere on the passenger side B pillar. Oh, and the driver's side one, too.
Old 09-10-2017 | 01:16 AM
cug
Instructor

LOL ...
Old 09-10-2017 | 08:51 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

MY 2013 had a passenger seat rattle that I solved by inflating the lumbar. Whatever was moving stopped due to the inflation.
Old 09-10-2017 | 11:42 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Yeah, they are definitely a little rattle heavy around the window sills front quarters of interior and then random places from new...especially around low boomy RPMs. It's ALMOST comical to me. The only problem is that most new cars from all brands have this crap going on now...
Old 09-10-2017 | 06:24 PM
cug
Instructor

The more complexity in the interior, the more can rattle. I guess next time I'd forgo the 18-way seats + venting and instead use the 4-way seats and Sport-Tex. A lot less complex and less parts that can break/rattle.

Quick Reply: Noise/Rattle in ventilated (passenger) seat