Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay randomly works

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 04:37 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay randomly works

I enjoy the CarPlay feature on my PCM most of the time. Other times, seemingly at random, it doesn't work and won't allow me to even listen to the broadcast radio.

Most of the time, I sit in the car, plug the phone into the center console, and CarPlay mirroring comes up. I can listen to one of my radio apps, listen to the broadcast radio through the non-CarPlay source, or switch back-and-forth as often as I want. Perfect. If I'm using the phone's navigation system, it'll show on screen at the same time.

Once in a while, though, I sit down, plug in the phone, and the broadcast radio no longer works. Neither do any of the apps within CarPlay. CarPlay shows up, and all my apps fill the screen, but nothing actually works. Not only that, but it takes over the non-CarPlay radio and won't let it play, either.

Any ideas? I've dealt with this as a minor annoyance for about a year, but since she needs to go in the shop anyway for inspections, I'm having them take a look.

It may be unrelated, but my voice recognition doesn't work, either. I push the button and nothing actually happens.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:54 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: SA tells me he doesn't think CarPlay is supposed to work via the armrest USB. This is ridiculous ... that's the one any normal driver would use most frequently.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:57 PM
Pinger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happens to me sometimes as well. Most of the time I'm trying to access songs through itunes on my phone, so when it freezes like that via Carplay, I navigate to whatever app I'm trying to access, but directly on the phone. Most often when I do that, Carplay seems to pick it up again, and sync with the phone. Hope it works for you.

Not sure I can help you with the voice recognition... maybe a software update?

I use the armrest USB all the time, works just fine.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
Update: SA tells me he doesn't think CarPlay is supposed to work via the armrest USB. This is ridiculous ... that's the one any normal driver would use most frequently.
sounds like you need a new SA. That's the correct USB port for CarPlay and the other one in the glove box only serves as charging port and music playability.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
It may be unrelated, but my voice recognition doesn't work, either. I push the button and nothing actually happens.
It turns out just because you have the button you may not have voice recognition -- at least that is what is going on with my car. Evidently while the voice recognition is a no cost option my car does not have it -- according to my SA - in fact it was ordered with voice recognition delete. Guess so it would be easier to use car play.....

I seem to have problems with my car play connecting up right about 1 in 50 times -- I've just marked it up to finicky electronics and unplug the phone and then plug it back in and the problem is gone.....
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 AM
911sTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue where the sound would go out randomly. Got a software update a month ago and no problems since.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Happens to me as well. After I plug in my phone (center armrest) it only allows me to use ACP and I cannot switch to tuner. Also, when I open waze on my phone, it usually switches to CarPlay and the music stops. Not a fan of CarPlay. I like the old PCM better.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:07 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

While I don't have CarPlay in my .1, I've come to accept the fact that since the dawn of time these cars are for driving and driving only. For some reason Porsche just can't seem to get the technology side of the equation in order. I mean have you seen a Monterey radio from the 90's? Geezus.... what are all those buttons for? Unfortunately the problem hasn't gotten a whole lot better since.

Hopefully on the 992 the tech will be at least reliable and usable *sigh*
Old 09-03-2017, 11:18 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
While I don't have CarPlay in my .1, I've come to accept the fact that since the dawn of time these cars are for driving and driving only.
yep...but since the biological deformity of the millenniums, Porsche feels obligated to have an **** cell phone user in every car. 90% of new owners seem more concerned ACP and having the Porsche Logo on the rear. Porsche will probably have the rear logo lit up on the 992.....new $2000 option will be what color you want the logo lit up as!!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

[QUOTE=titleistaddict87;14451955]While I don't have CarPlay in my .1, I've come to accept the fact that since the dawn of time these cars are for driving and driving only. For some reason Porsche just can't seem to get the technology side of the equation in order. I mean have you seen a Monterey radio from the 90's? Geezus.... what are all those buttons for? Unfortunately the problem hasn't gotten a whole lot better since.

Hopefully on the 992 the tech will be at

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay randomly works