Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas on how to increase cabin engine noise on 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 470 Posts

I did a speed tech exhaust with sport cats, and it's a GREAT sound in the cabin without having to rip your car apart...
Old 08-31-2017, 12:31 PM
MYAMI
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I did a speed tech exhaust with sport cats, and it's a GREAT sound in the cabin without having to rip your car apart...
Their sport cats were at the top of my list. Perhaps I should go bolt-ons instead of Frankenstein.

Any videos to share?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Buy a Dyson handheld and leave it on in the passenger seat?
Originally Posted by nycpassat
i just LOL'd
Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Oh this will be a fun thread. Hmm maybe trade in the Dyson for a .1.

"OHHH! BOOM! THE MOUCH has left the building!"
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Put your lips together and push air out of your mouth rapidly. The faster you go the harder you push the air out.
Originally Posted by drcollie
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Originally Posted by MYAMI
Their sport cats were at the top of my list. Perhaps I should go bolt-ons instead of Frankenstein.

Any videos to share?
But there is a video to share!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:36 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
So much hate for a refresh that just does everything better except sing the same song. I test drove plenty of .1s. Not one of them got me part with money.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...991-2-carrera/
Old 08-31-2017, 01:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The 997 was the best 911 ever.
so was the 997.2.
The 991 #1 came out and blew everyone's mind - it was the best 911 ever.
No surprise that the 991 #2 was again the best 911 ever.
Undoubtedly the 992 will also be the best ever.

The best 911 will always be one of 3 things...
1. The first 911 ever
2. The latest 911
3. Singer
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (11-21-2021)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A few years ago, I mounted two microphones on the engine and ran them to the car stereo input. The idea was to detect knock.

Pretty goofy, but it worked and was fun. It was as loud as you wanted.

Later I tried it on a pushrod Chevy V8. Not recommended. Not a nice sound.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:16 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The best 911 will always be one of 3 things...
1. The first 911 ever
2. The latest 911
3. Singer
You forgot the second to latest 911, "last true enthusiast's model".
Old 08-31-2017, 02:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 470 Posts

Any videos to share?
I have a couple but havent downloaded them. Ill send them to speed tech and maybe they can. Or PM me your text and Ill happily text you them. It sounds SERIOUSLY badass with the system. Very little overall turbo noise to boot...which surprised me.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently come to the decision that the 991.2 (with PSE) does emit a "good amount" of sound when you're outside the car. This, however, does not translate inside the cabin.

Rather than making changes to the exhaust system (I've been long-debating adding sport cats to the otherwise straight-through PSE muffler), I was hoping we could come up with some ideas as to how to increase cabin noise without going the mod route--because once you pop, you can't stop).

I assume the answer will be removing certain sound deadening materials/panels, so the question is -- which ones? Has anybody tried this as of yet?

Some basic parameters:

1. Being able reverse anything done is key.
2. Aesthetics, not so much.
I dont think he necessarily wants more "cabin noise" but specifically how to hear the engine / exhaust more in the cabin. I'm interested in this as well for the 991.2 w PSE. I really wanted to go forward with a 991.2, found one w PSE, but it was too quiet in the cabin - couldnt hear anyhing. Rolled down the windows and all you hear are farts and pops, not really "motor" sound.

I went a different route. However I'm concerned what will my next 911 be with decent sound? I know you can make the exhaust louder but that benefits people outside the car. I want it to benefit me the driver
Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM
MYAMI
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
I dont think he necessarily wants more "cabin noise" but specifically how to hear the engine / exhaust more in the cabin. I'm interested in this as well for the 991.2 w PSE. I really wanted to go forward with a 991.2, found one w PSE, but it was too quiet in the cabin - couldnt hear anyhing. Rolled down the windows and all you hear are farts and pops, not really "motor" sound.

I went a different route. However I'm concerned what will my next 911 be with decent sound? I know you can make the exhaust louder but that benefits people outside the car. I want it to benefit me the driver
This. Exactly.

The solution in my e92 M3 (which suffered from the same problem as my 991.2, relatively) was to add an Akra Evolution system. And, for what it's worth, the center section which altered the stock cats is what truly made the difference. Swapping the muffler, not so much.

Perhaps adding sport cats is the answer here as well. :shrug:
Old 09-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 747 Posts

Interesting question. Most want less cabin noise but throaty sound outside. I have the Kline Iconel exhaust. I have also disconnected and plugged my symposer so I could reduce cabin noise.
When I push the exhaust button and open those valves and put my foot into it the wail of the Kline is total chaos but beautiful. Windows up or down doesn't matter.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:42 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Have some Van Camps pork and beans before you go for a ride?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 281 Posts

I've recently come to the decision that the 991.2 (with PSE) does emit a "good amount" of sound when you're outside the car. This, however, does not translate inside the cabin.

Rather than making changes to the exhaust system (I've been long-debating adding sport cats to the otherwise straight-through PSE muffler), I was hoping we could come up with some ideas as to how to increase cabin noise without going the mod route--because once you pop, you can't stop).

I assume the answer will be removing certain sound deadening materials/panels, so the question is -- which ones? Has anybody tried this as of yet?

Some basic parameters:

1. Being able reverse anything done is key.
2. Aesthetics, not so much.
Is this really an issue in the .2 with PSE, because in my .1 with PSE, I love the growl with the windows closed and AC on.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:07 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Classic, the usual 991.1 crew.

Heres a tip for you - your endless comments don't come across as funny they come across as childish. This is meant to be a forum for enthusiasts. Try welcoming new owners. It will be cathartic for you.
Bulldawgfan1000 (11-21-2021)
Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Classic, the usual 991.1 crew.

Heres a tip for you - your endless comments don't come across as funny they come across as childish. This is meant to be a forum for enthusiasts. Try welcoming new owners. It will be cathartic for you.
Every 'childish' comment is not necessarily from 991.1 owners. I think this forum is great because folks can offer technical information and at the same time keep it lighthearted. If the forum was like a continuous technical manual many would tire of it quickly.
Guards_Red_991 (01-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Any ideas on how to increase cabin engine noise on 991.2?