Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayenne design bodes poorly for 992

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:03 AM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

The interior. Focus on the interior. This, coupled with the Panamera, gives us a darn good idea what the new 992 interior will look like. I don't think I like the black glass paneling around the shifter. It must be some sort of gorilla glass like a iPhone smart phone to withstand scratches. There is no way they will make it out of plastic. But the OCD in me will go absolutely bonkers with the finger print smudges on all that glass . At least the new LCD instrument cluster seems to look quite good with the analog center tach and the digital clusters around it. Ugh.
[img]webkit-fake-url://bc805199-007b-4d12-8c75-fea404c5d22e/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 260 Posts

Is the new Cayenne still non-PDK, or does it have the new 8 spd PDK?
Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just go directly to Sega Space Harrier?

Speaking of games, I'd love to see an app which presented images, like "rears", or "side view" of debadged SUVs, each the same color and you had to match the Make to the vehicle. I'll bet it would be pretty revealing...
Old 08-30-2017, 01:22 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please make me a Cayenne with this dash....

Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 AM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tango131

The interior. Focus on the interior. This, coupled with the Panamera, gives us a darn good idea what the new 992 interior will look like. I don't think I like the black glass paneling around the shifter. It must be some sort of gorilla glass like a iPhone smart phone to withstand scratches. There is no way they will make it out of plastic. But the OCD in me will go absolutely bonkers with the finger print smudges on all that glass . At least the new LCD instrument cluster seems to look quite good with the analog center tach and the digital clusters around it. Ugh.
Actually the panamera’s glass paneling is acrylic or Plastic with tactile feedback. I was a bit disappointed it wasn’t glass but should be, gorilla or
Otherwise. Has a lightweight feel to it when clicking down. Hopefully they’ve improved it on the cayenne and going forward across the board.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:13 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I rented a Ford Fusion on my holiday recently. Thoroughly decent car and had touchscreen controls. So many fingerprints! I didn't mind because it was a rental but...

And forgive me, but doesn't that Cayenne look exactly the same as all the previous ones? I have to look very hard to tell recent generations of 911 apart though so am probably not the best person to judge!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:48 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I rented a Ford Fusion on my holiday recently. Thoroughly decent car and had touchscreen controls. So many fingerprints! I didn't mind because it was a rental but...

And forgive me, but doesn't that Cayenne look exactly the same as all the previous ones? I have to look very hard to tell recent generations of 911 apart though so am probably not the best person to judge!
What?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife has a new Panamera. The interior is KILLER. The smudge marks are not bad as you dont find yourself using those buttons much. There are shortcut buttons.

So it looks like they did a great job on the interior, a huge huge improvement over the previous.

I love the old 911 dashes the best but we're not getting them back. I'd take this new interior in a 992 in a second flat.

I also think the exterior looks great. I like the rear end.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
Actually the panamera’s glass paneling is acrylic or Plastic with tactile feedback. I was a bit disappointed it wasn’t glass but should be, gorilla or
Otherwise. Has a lightweight feel to it when clicking down. Hopefully they’ve improved it on the cayenne and going forward across the board.
i'll have to go to the dealer and check it out then. Darn. If the paneling is plastic or acrylic that means scratches down the road. My wife's 5yr old BMW X3 wood inlays (the shiny kind not matte like in some newer Audis) look all scratched up (micro scratches like spider webbing) just from basic cleaning. It drives me nuts. I prefer the regular look of today's buttons with option of surround material (silver, brushed aluminum, carbon fiber, etc). My plain silver trim pieces look brand new on my 7 yr old porsche. I don't think I can handle all those fine micro scratches in a black shiny interior. I can't handle it now in my car's paint and thus why I have a swirl free paint .
Old 08-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This little tidbit is interesting

"Porsche acronym: PSCB. That decodes as ‘Porsche Surface Coated Brake’, and it gives the standard brakes a tungsten-carbide layer (nope, us neither) to make them last longer. Handy if you intended on driving a car this large with vigour."

This could give iron rotors the durability of Ceramic ones.
It would also open the door for high friction sintered metallic pads, like the ones used on motorcycles.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:57 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I like it - the new cayenne will be my next DD when it's the old cayenne ha. Seriously. I'm a bargain shopper.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

As a current Cayenne owner, I am a bit disappointed that the new car isn't a little more evolved than the current. To me, it looks too much like the facelifted 958. I would have preferred some newer styling cues besides the rear.

I am happy to gain the Panny's interior. It's a big step up. I've seen it in person and it looks great. Im not too worried about the fingerprints. You won't be touching those buttons that often. I'm not happy that there still isn't a HUD for Porsches. Ridiculous. Also, could we get some more space in the center console?

I am excited about the larger rear space. The new driving aids (RWS, 3 chamber air) promise to make this an amazing driver, but I shudder to think of the post warranty bills.

Overall, looking forward to checking it out but a bit meh. I might just save some extra coin and get a Panny Sport Tourismo instead when the time comes. But I'm not sure if we'll ever get rid of the diesel.

As for the 992, will be interesting to see. Certainly we'll get the dash unchanged. The center console will have to be slimmed to make it fit the smaller cabin. It could work, but I fear it might turn the 911 into more of a GT look inside. We shall see.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Airandwater
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the 911 is a GT for the most part, so more of a GT look isn't so bad. I love the new Panny interior and the new Cayenne adopts this well. It also has the same rear treatment as the Panny, which someone called "Lincoln like". It's just that the centre light strip seems taller on the SUV.

I like the buttons in my Macan and C4S. Also like the newer glass cockpits in the Panny and Cayenne. Looks sharp. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by froogleyankee
Please make me a Cayenne with this dash....

The homage is remarkable?
Old 08-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Is the new Cayenne still non-PDK, or does it have the new 8 spd PDK?
Press bit says new tranny but still torque converter, no PDK.

Also, am I the only one who hates the new interior look that Porsche is going with? Other than the steering wheel, I think it looks awful and generic. But for the steering wheel, that looks like the interior of a Volvo.

Quick Reply: New Cayenne design bodes poorly for 992