Sponsored by:

New to Porsche - advice on small dealer allocations

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:43 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Default New to Porsche - advice on small dealer allocations

Hello,

Just signed up for the forum. I am new to Porsche and am in the process of ordering a 991S.

I live in a small town and have a small dealer about 50 miles from me. The dealer sells Porsche/Audi/VW/Volvo. I bought my last vehicle from this dealer which was an Audi S5. Very happy with the dealer and my relationship with the salesman. I have agreed on a deal that I am satisfied with and the salesman has submitted the order.

When I asked about the delivery time frame he said it is about 90 days but he needs to "see about the allocation and we should be able to get one." The "should" statement is a little concerning to me. He indicated they will know in a couple weeks.

Does anyone have information about how the allocations work for small dealers and should I have concern about their ability to get a car?

I have a major city about 100 miles from me with 2 large dealers that I know move a ton more volume and this wouldn't be an issue. I would prefer to stick with the more local dealer because of my relationship with them though. Just looking for some additional information. Don't really know the workings of Porsche since this will be my first one and there seems to be a lot of good knowledge to be had here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2017 | 01:49 PM
Racer

Careers S isn't that difficult to find. You'll be fine.
Old 08-29-2017 | 01:52 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 81911
Careers S isn't that difficult to find. You'll be fine.
I am a total newbie so don't even know what you mean by find.
Do you mean they are looking to get a build allocation from another dealer or are they just trying to get an additional one from the factory or how does that work?
Old 08-29-2017 | 01:58 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Likely they would be trading allocations with another dealer to get you your model. Carrera's should be available for all. Your dealer probably has to trade a Macan for one....
Old 08-29-2017 | 02:13 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arter
Likely they would be trading allocations with another dealer to get you your model. Carrera's should be available for all. Your dealer probably has to trade a Macan for one....
Ok thanks. I was thinking there shouldn't be any availability issue with getting an S model so was surprised it was potentially an issue. Maybe he just didn't want to guarantee it until he knew it was a done deal. That is fair.
Old 08-29-2017 | 02:25 PM
R_Rated
Banned

You should call around to a few dealers and find 2 that are willing to commit. Use this as leverage to get a guarantee from your dealer as well as an idea if their discount is competitive.
Old 08-29-2017 | 02:47 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You should call around to a few dealers and find 2 that are willing to commit. Use this as leverage to get a guarantee from your dealer as well as an idea if their discount is competitive.
yes i spoke with one of the dealers in the major city close by. The salesman came highly recommended by two friends. He indicated my discount was very good and the best he could do was match it. Want to give the small dealer the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason not to. He did a great job for me on the Audi order and I expect the same this time. Was just looking for a little backup information here on what to expect.

Thanks for responding.
Old 08-29-2017 | 05:22 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

My dealer is relatively small and does not get that many allocations either. So when I asked the SA about a GTS allocation and he said 'are you serious?' to which I replied 'yes', he had one in about 3 hours. I am sure he had to do a lot of horse trading to get one but he was successful. I don't know specifically what he had to do but I do know he has been in the business a long time and networks well with other dealers.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche - advice on small dealer allocations