Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:56 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I don't make $390,000, I don't have net worth of $3,000,000 but I smile every morning I get in my car so it works for me. Just get the car and enjoy it, so much time figuring if you can afford something?
Eric
The following users liked this post:
718spyder (10-19-2020)
Old 08-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I appreciate the supportive remarks, people.

Originally Posted by Loft23
I own a house in San Francisco proper that I'm spending < $2000 in mortgage payments with a few years left.
That's excellent for San Francisco. That area is crazy expensive. I've lived in Orange County, the LA area, and the San Ferndando Valley in the past, and none of those was as expensive as SF.

Originally Posted by trayvon
if anyone is making judgements on what car you can afford by your yearly income alone [...] that's really not how that decision should be made.
That was my thought, but I didn't want to fight about it. I assume that the people making statements about income were also making assumptions about my overall expenses that aren't true, and ignored what I said about what I spend aside from this silly car stuff. But arguing about that was not my intent when I started this thread.

Originally Posted by LexVan
*does the GTS have the PowerKit standard?
It is. I think it's the point Porsche stresses the most, actually, though it also includes things like Sport Chrono and Sports Exhaust.

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
Could you have waited and gotten one used? Yes. But you're paying a premium for the chance to spec it to your choice and be the first *** to wrinkle the leather.
I looked at used cars first. I'm perfectly fine with being the 2nd or 3rd owner, if it's the car I want. The problem was, I wasn't seeing any that met what I felt were my basic requirements, regardless of age.

Those were:
  • Manual transmission
  • AWD
  • Cabriolet
  • 4S or better
  • Sapphire Blue, Amaranth Red, Ruby Red, or Racing Yellow (Sapphire Blue being my favorite of those)
  • Dark leather interior (i.e. black, not beige)
Manual AWD cabs are quite rare, but it was the exterior color that made it a unicorn. I almost caved in on the AWD requirement, because there's a 2015 yellow manual GTS in Arlington that ticks all the other boxes.

Nice looking car, and I tried hard to talk myself into getting it. But both my wife and I talked about the incidents we've had over the years here in the Northeast and decided we really should have at least one AWD car in the garage, and she wasn't willing to give up her manual Cayman S for the car.

I fully admit feeling the pull of New Toy for getting a 991.2. Things like Rear Axle Steering interest me. But I wouldn't have made the decision based on that alone if I felt there were a used alternative.

Yes, I know, the car I just lost, er, traded in ticked 4 of those 6 items, and I'm probably foolish for spending this much money just to tick the other two. Manual vs. PDK's a pretty big checkbox, though.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:17 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Once your personal finance knowledge and strategy gets beyond trying to keep montly payments close to your monthly take-home, you should be thinking about long-term goals, and the necessary financial decisions and behavior to get there.

If you can still achieve your goals, and not put other aspects of your future life at risk, then spend away.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Now that we have more information, no kids, no mortgage, a bunch of savings and retired, what are you fretting about? Retirement is about enjoying your toys and enjoying life.
Agreed.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:57 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Firstly,don't give out personal information like that on a public site. It's no ones business but yours. Secondly,IMHO, your gross income is way too low to justify a car that expensive. Talk to your accountant. Keep the one you have unless there is a problem with it. Yes, yolo but as you approach retirement you may regret the purchase. Of course , all bets are off if you are expecting a large inheritance. And no, you don't have to tell us your fathers net income.
agreed xompletely. $210k income too low for $155k car. Perhaps a max would be 20% of annual income should be limit. Reallly I think 10% but that's just me. So if you make $1.5mm that makes sense especially if a second car. But the rest of your finances are part of the equation. I live in a high cost city with 3 kids in private school and put 25% of my income away so I view it through perhaps a tougher lense than others. But still $210k no matter what I would think is too low except for the inheritance factor.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

You can afford the car if you can pay cash for it, which you basically are.

/END THREAD.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:05 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Step into the office..
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I am getting that troll feeling again. I brushed it off but it's back big time.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:09 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Here let me give it a shot; it appears you can afford the car.

Last edited by mass27; 08-26-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I have a philosophy about time, money and life. I'm 33 years old, and I've found a good balance on this of late.

I feel that it's best to acquire the things you want, within reason, as early on as is prudent. I've wanted a Porsche for a long, long time. I had an order on the original Cayman S back when I was 21~. I had to make the hard decision to back out, as I started a new business at that time.

Fast-forward 11 ish years, and now I'm finally there. My only disappointment is that Porsche went turbo when I was finally ready to jump in. I wanted to do European delivery, PTS and all of that fun stuff. Instead, I've gone for a 991.1 S with 35,000 km on it. I'm trying to look at the upside as that someone else took $40k in depreciation for me.

You paid cash for your car, which is a wise decision. I'm financing mine, because frankly, I really value cash flow.

Anyway, point is - only you can decide how and when to spend your money. Most of us have had to make sacrifices along the way, and I like to think a nice car is a wonderful reward.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 08-26-2017, 12:46 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Here let me give it a shot.
Wow. Just wow. I really wasn't expecting anything a tenth this toxic. Pretty much completely wipes out the positive aspects of this thread for me. And then some, actually.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:18 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed to this thread because I just can't believe it.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:24 AM
trayvon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey man lol don't get all down because one person decided to be a douche in how they answered your question. You've heard it from a lot of people - you aren't making a poor financial decision. And I think it's normal to feel "icky" spending $150k on a car, at least for a little. Someone else not being able to understand that is their problem, not yours.

Just start counting the days until you get to enjoy that perfect build
Old 08-26-2017, 01:25 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Relax. Don't over cook this. You were in the position to pull the trigger and you did so. You've spec'd a very nice car. You will enjoy every minute that you drive it.

Best of luck during ownership.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:35 AM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bacura
Firstly,don't give out personal information like that on a public site. It's no ones business but yours. Secondly,IMHO, your gross income is way too low to justify a car that expensive. Talk to your accountant. Keep the one you have unless there is a problem with it. Yes, yolo but as you approach retirement you may regret the purchase. Of course , all bets are off if you are expecting a large inheritance. And no, you don't have to tell us your fathers net income.
OP did save the cash, has a gross income of $17500 a month, and seems to also have the wife's income which they can live off. No other debts and no mortgage. Im thinking he's doing just fine.

As for that pit in your stomach when you buy something, anything expensive, everyone gets it. You wonder if it's worth it, but if it makes you happy and you're not causing problems with other parts of your life than I say go for it.

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car