Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:16 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Unfortunately, I already have. "Chainblock." What is that? Like sunblock for bikers?

But seriously, wouldn't change a word of the above. Because: true. Anyone who questions this, might want to start with the Satoshi white paper. https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Chase that down with a couple dozen hours of Andreas Antonopolous talks on YouTube. Bask in the warm glow of having discovered the liberation of humanity from the central banksters chains of debt slavery.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:31 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Unfortunately, I already have. "Chainblock." What is that? Like sunblock for bikers?

But seriously, wouldn't change a word of the above. Because: true. Anyone who questions this, might want to start with the Satoshi white paper. https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Chase that down with a couple dozen hours of Andreas Antonopolous talks on YouTube. Bask in the warm glow of having discovered the liberation of humanity from the central banksters chains of debt slavery.
I suggest you trust a different Greek. Like Jamie Dimon. Who is the top banker in this country. You may want to Google him and see what he has to say about bitcoin.

I think this thread is heading into a new tangent and requires its own thread as not to derail.

Edit: i had some time to youtube Andreas Antonopolous. He is a charismatic fellow but, He himself stated that bitcoin is a temporary solution to some of the issues in current impoverished societies. In no way is it a permanent solutions to regulated currencies. You maybe misreading into his comments.

Last edited by jimbo1111; 12-20-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 461 Likes on 312 Posts

Bitcoin = same as musical chairs. Just don't be the one standing when the music stops! Oh, and good luck with that.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

As they say, when you are in your death bed your regrets will be the things you didn't do, this won't be one of them
Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drive it! Feel lucky ...
Old 12-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

After 20 plus pages I hope we are all over the GUILT of owning these vehicles. Please.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:44 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll chime in yet again. After owning a well optioned and pricey 991.2 C2s for a year and a half, I am so glad we purchased this car. I like doing spirited motorcycle rides but am not interested in having my wife on the back due to the danger of getting hit by a car. I'll take that risk on my own. Enter the 911 where I can have fun going fast but bring my wife with me. She has no interest in going fast, and so far has not driven the car, but the other day she just mentioned that she loves the car and that it is the coolest car ever. Wow! Also I think she secretly DOES kind of enjoy zipping around it the car BTW we are both in our early 60s. So zero regrets or guilt about spending the money on the car.

Last edited by dflowerz; 12-21-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Most people who buy these cars have cash sitting on the sidelines. So many of these purchases are made by using a portion of the sidelined cash. If that money were invested in equities, it could easily lose a huge amount overnight. Has happened before and will happen again, just a matter of time. Alternatively, if it were invested it could also gain. By using it for a car, a predictable amount is lost monthly, and used for enjoyment. So big woop. It was sitting on the sidelines anyway. It wasn't as if your future depended upon this investment.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Most people who buy these cars have cash sitting on the sidelines. So many of these purchases are made by using a portion of the sidelined cash. If that money were invested in equities, it could easily lose a huge amount overnight. Has happened before and will happen again, just a matter of time. Alternatively, if it were invested it could also gain. By using it for a car, a predictable amount is lost monthly, and used for enjoyment. So big woop. It was sitting on the sidelines anyway. It wasn't as if your future depended upon this depreciating asset.

FiFY
Old 12-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
FiFY
Thanks. That is one way to read it, but I meant it as written, in the sense that one's future likely doesn't depend upon the money sitting on the sidelines, which I referred to as "investment.". However, given COLA and inflation, one could also refer to the sidelined cash as a depreciating asset, in addition to an automobile purchase.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:08 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
That is a loaded response if I ever saw one. Bitcoin is going to bankrupt many! Mark my words.
Relevant:
Facebook Post
Porschejam (10-15-2020)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Thanks. That is one way to read it, but I meant it as written, in the sense that one's future likely doesn't depend upon the money sitting on the sidelines, which I referred to as "investment.". However, given COLA and inflation, one could also refer to the sidelined cash as a depreciating asset, in addition to an automobile purchase.
Very true! Governments artificially inflate currency 2% a year in most countries. Its just another form of taxation. The truly wealthy hedge against this by owning realestate and asets that aren't affected by proliferation.
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Funny, I had a feeling this thread will turn into a Bitcoin fest.

Firstly, Bitcoin is FAR from the only cryptocurrency out there, and far from the best, or not even likely to be the leader in the future.

Second, keep calling it a bubble, scam, pyramid scheme all you want, but your frustration will just increase as it continues to move up.

What will likely bankrupt people is some of those countless sh*tcoins that literally are pump and dump schemes. Not to be confused with the justifiable leaders.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 AM
Anne Flemings
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To invest or not to invest? That is the question. I'm really tired of hearing many 'should have's and 'could have's. Your life, your rules, I'm looking at one more drop and buying it no matter what. Ethereum and Dash are much better imho but it looks like they have dropped now. Head to Coingecko to check out the price-charts for yourself

But if you're spending 150k on a car, make sure to have the security in place for your garage. I'm not talking about a security alarm system that may trigger false alarms and wreck your sleep. Get a smart lock or hire a locksmith services agency found in residential communities. Well, the chances of getting carjacked is minimal, there are a lot of expensive parts you'd store in your garage so just keep all the security measures in check.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Anne Flemings
To invest or not to invest? That is the question. I'm really tired of hearing many 'should have's and 'could have's. Your life, your rules, I'm looking at one more drop and buying it no matter what. Ethereum and Dash are much better imho but it looks like they have dropped now. Head to Coingecko to check out the price-charts for yourself

But if you're spending 150k on a car, make sure to have the security in place for your garage. I'm not talking about a security alarm system that may trigger false alarms and wreck your sleep. Get a smart lock or hire a locksmith services agency found in residential communities. Well, the chances of getting carjacked is minimal, there are a lot of expensive parts you'd store in your garage so just keep all the security measures in check.
Yup; Ethereum #1. Then Litecoin and Verge are next up, imo.

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car