Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:45 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Front Axle Lift Question

I have a question regarding front axle lift. I may add it to my GTS build, but the answer to this question would have no bearing if I decide to get it or not. Just curious about how it works.

So from what I understand the way it works is at speeds under 35 mph you push a button on the console, and the nose of the car raises by about 1.5". Once you exceed 35 mph, the nose lowers automatically to its normal height. My question is, once it lowers height at a speed above 35 mph, and say you then reduce speed to less than 35 mph, would the nose raise again automatically? Or would you have to push the button again to get it to raise? Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 06:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
Or would you have to push the button again to get it to raise? Thanks
I think you have to push the button again.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think you have to push the button again.
That's what I figured Lex. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I can confirm you have to push button again.

As an aside the manual says do not leave car parked in raised position.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Reading the official description, it seems clear that once you're above 35 MPH, the system turns off, rather than pausing. So yeah, you'd have to press the button again. Also, purely from a UI point of view, you'd annoy far more drivers if it came back on automatically than the other way around.

Scraping the bottom of my car once was enough to convince me that I'd want front axle lift in a custom build, though I wouldn't turn down a car for lacking it. In a GTS coupe build with SPASM, it seems more likely to be more useful.

EDIT: One less expensive alternative is an aftermarket skid plate. Which will save you from minor stuff, but won't help if it's a real bumper-tearing impact rather than just a scrape.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
I can confirm you have to push button again.

As an aside the manual says do not leave car parked in raised position.
Interesting. Guess the hydraulic pressure can bleed off the system and the nose would slowly drop. Not good if the nose is parked over a curb.

Nevertheless, I think I am going to order it for the GTS. I have occasionally scraped the front lip in both a 981 Boxster and a 991.1 911, both with non-sport PASM. The GTS being an additional 10mm lower pretty much guarantees there will be times I am not happy.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
Interesting. Guess the hydraulic pressure can bleed off the system and the nose would slowly drop. Not good if the nose is parked over a curb.

Nevertheless, I think I am going to order it for the GTS. I have occasionally scraped the front lip in both a 981 Boxster and a 991.1 911, both with non-sport PASM. The GTS being an additional 10mm lower pretty much guarantees there will be times I am not happy.
There are lots of opinions on FAL. I've read Posters say, and rightly so, that pay for a new lip 5x for the cost of FAL.

But to me there is the psychological aspect of listening to your 100k plus car crunch on pavement. Also I have crazy underground garage situation in which even when angling car you will scrape every time. So in addition you are driving around with chewed up front spoiler and have hassle of replacing at which time it will inevitably happen again. (Sorry for rant).

I went with FAL and have had my car for several weeks and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

But to me there is the psychological aspect of listening to your 100k plus car crunch on pavement.
That is exactly where I am. I am so **** about my cars that I would likely have an aneurism if I heard and/or felt the car scraping. FAL does not guarantee that you'll never scrape, but it certainly lessens the chance. FAL with strategic entry to gas stations, parking lots, etc should make it a mostly non event - I hope!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

I too had the same dilemma, but someone said that with FAL you have to remember to use it... If you're on the road and there's a bump you don't see at the last minute, then crunch... I decided to save the cost and risk it out
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I am one of those who said that you could buy 5 spoilers, repaint for the cost of the FAL. I have a GT3 which is lower than the SPASM C2 by a bit, which I also have. The GT3 lip does not require painting, installs in 5 minutes and cost $179 plus shipping. I have FAL on the GT3 but not on the SPASM C2, My C2 has no major damage to the front lip (which must be painted on replacement ) but I can see the effects of scraping. It is impossible to avoid where I drive.

So, after all the bloviating, my opinion has changed. I consider FAL a must for any low car.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Gasol1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are lots of opinions on FAL. I've read Posters say, and rightly so, that pay for a new lip 5x for the cost of FAL.

But to me there is the psychological aspect of listening to your 100k plus car crunch on pavement. Also I have crazy underground garage situation in which even when angling car you will scrape every time. So in addition you are driving around with chewed up front spoiler and have hassle of replacing at which time it will inevitably happen again. (Sorry for rant).

I went with FAL and have had my car for several weeks and I'm very pleased with it.
I have FAL as well and use it a few times a week. Very satisfied.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:05 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of your regular locations you visit require extreme care not to scrape then yes get it. Otherwise you will not remember the one time it matters and you will be even more upset cuz you had FAL and forgot to use it.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I am one of those who said that you could buy 5 spoilers, repaint for the cost of the FAL. I have a GT3 which is lower than the SPASM C2 by a bit, which I also have. The GT3 lip does not require painting, installs in 5 minutes and cost $179 plus shipping. I have FAL on the GT3 but not on the SPASM C2, My C2 has no major damage to the front lip (which must be painted on replacement ) but I can see the effects of scraping. It is impossible to avoid where I drive.

So, after all the bloviating, my opinion has changed. I consider FAL a must for any low car.
Where are you getting $179 lips? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm really interested. I treat them as wear items and always have a spare on hand. Suncoast is almost $300.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
If any of your regular locations you visit require extreme care not to scrape then yes get it. Otherwise you will not remember the one time it matters and you will be even more upset cuz you had FAL and forgot to use it.
Good point. Porsche needs a forward looking radar device that automatically engages FAL when it senses a collision with a low object. Shouldn't be a penny over $10k....
Old 08-23-2017, 01:17 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have FAL. I use it when I feel I'll need it. No scrapes. No drama. I'm happy. I know it cost money as an option. But that cost hasn't affected my life in any way.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift Question