Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 AM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered FAL on my 2018 GTS. You should too. I hate scraping with a passion. My GT3 (no FAL) scrapes everywhere. I hate it.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I use the front axle lift every single day on my C4S w/SPASM. The parking garage at work and my favorite gas station are both guaranteed to scrape if I forget (ask me how I know), so I'm fairly well trained at this point to use the front axle lift all around town.

My wife, however, is terrified that she'll forget to push the lift button so she never chooses to drive my car. If you are considering ordering front axle lift on your new 911, then this is probably the best reason I can give you to forego the front axle lift option.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:22 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Where are you getting $179 lips? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm really interested. I treat them as wear items and always have a spare on hand. Suncoast is almost $300.
$179 is the price for the GT3 lip. The RS is $229.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991GT3LIP.html
Old 08-23-2017, 09:04 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

10-15 years from now, what's the repair bill for a broken FAL?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 AM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
10-15 years from now, what's the repair bill for a broken FAL?

Had same thought regarding rear axle steering....yet they're both on my order.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my GTS and even though the incline on my driveway is very shallow, when my 17 year old daughter backed it out, she went straight out and didn’t turn to take the junction at a diagonal and she let off the brake a little too quickly. There was a pop noise as contact was made - thankfully no damage. She now activates FAL each time she reverses the GTS. FAL has also proven useful to me entering/exiting sloped entrances to strip malls and gas stations. I wouldn’t be without this feature for a car with SPASM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:35 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Just got back from the dealer and we added FAL to my order. Lots of opinions here both ways, but ultimately I decided it's an option that works for me.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:39 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
My wife, however, is terrified that she'll forget to push the lift button so she never chooses to drive my car. If you are considering ordering front axle lift on your new 911, then this is probably the best reason I can give you to forego the front axle lift option.
LOL. My wife never mastered the art of a manual transmission so I'm getting that too.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 PM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
LOL. My wife never mastered the art of a manual transmission so I'm getting that too.
^This

The only regret I have about getting a PDK car...Wife friendly transmission.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:19 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by leanofpeak
^This

The only regret I have about getting a PDK car...Wife friendly transmission.
Went from MT to PDK, good news is my wife can drive me home when I've had one too many (she's a teetotaler)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
There are lots of opinions on FAL. I've read Posters say, and rightly so, that pay for a new lip 5x for the cost of FAL.

But to me there is the psychological aspect of listening to your 100k plus car crunch on pavement. Also I have crazy underground garage situation in which even when angling car you will scrape every time. So in addition you are driving around with chewed up front spoiler and have hassle of replacing at which time it will inevitably happen again. (Sorry for rant).

I went with FAL and have had my car for several weeks and I'm very pleased with it.
This exactly. We just picked up our GTS last week. Our 997 scrapes pulling out of our office complex unless you take a very sharp angle & go our very slowly. That's way too stressful for me with a line of cars waiting behind me to get out, so we made sure to find a car that had FAL. We considered ordering, but were lucky enough to find a car that was almost exactly what we would have built.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I got the FAL and use it fairly often, but you have to manually push the button to raise it. I have been leaving it parked with the FAL still engaged. Guess I should read the manual! Will lower the car from now on. I also got PDK so my wife could drive the car and after a year she sill has not driven it. Still, PDK is nice in traffic jams so I am happy with it.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:44 PM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my wife needed PDK to be able to drive my car, I wouldn't let her drive my car anyways, so in my opinion, consider yourself lucky ... just saying.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:59 AM
srfr13
Track Day

My driveway has to be one of the worst in Texas. It has a very steep incline at a funny angle that makes almost every car scrape even my Suburban. Amazingly, I can get my .2C2S up and down every time without issue. Our cars were engineered with a “feature” to handle these situations.

When you approach an incline, make sure that you pull the car parallel – for me, this means that I’m at an angle to my driveway so I’m parallel to the nasty incline and stop. Now turn the wheel all the way into the incline until it locks. No need to crank it hard, just gently turn in one full revolution until you feel it stop. When you begin to move forward and up the incline, it will lift up the nose and the outside wheel will lift off of the ground. This is just as effective when I'm backing out.

As I said, it works so well that I have no need for the front axle lift. I guess if you are scraping when you hit speed bumps head-on that’s a different story - my car makes it over as long as I slow down. Prior to my 911 I had an M4 that scraped every time no matter how well I hit the angle. Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

I have the 2015 C4s w/SPASM, there was no FAL option, and I wish I had it. I scrape the SPASM lip all the time. Also, I'm also in SEA Next 911 is getting FAL.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift Question