Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust is it really worth it? Video comparing PSE vs non PSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:08 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I chose the PSE because of the sound at start up. The start up in the Non-PSE was SO unsatisfying and tinny. Driving around the pops and crackles are ok, but I wouldn't mind of there were less of them.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the HP and torque of a PSE vs Non-PSE car. Since the exhaust path is not the same there must be some difference between the two. Exhaust and intake are very sensitive to flow. I'm not saying that the PSE would have more horsepower....maybe it would even have a few less......just curious how they could be "exactly" the same.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car fan
I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the PSE on my 991.2 and also prefer the look of the centralized exhaust tips! It's "different" and an evolution of the 911, along with the turbo motors
I LOVE it too. Car is too quiet without PSE (IMO) and you don't have to activate crackling unless you want to. Love the central pipes too. I'll admit that all that crackling is a bit of a "hey look at me" option but its difficult to fly under the radar in a 911 anyway.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car fan
I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the PSE on my 991.2 and also prefer the look of the centralized exhaust tips! It's "different" and an evolution of the 911, along with the turbo motors
Me too! I am not so sure you're in the minority judging by how many have opted for the PSE. I also like the option of trimming down the cabin note on a long trip listening to music or when I am on the phone.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:01 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

Like always ..... great video.

I like the PSE on my CPO'ed .1 C4S but if ordering a new car I might leave it off and put those funds to use else ware.

BTW I thought the pops and crackles were only on PSE cars. I learn something new everyday. Good to know.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Good job, Nick! I'm very glad to see you back in a Porsche.

Nick, were all 3 cars a "cold start" (similar temp)? That (temp) effects sound a lot.

I like the center exhaust on the new 991.2. The pipe dimensions are slightly larger, and look very good in person, IMO. Plus, I've always liked the GT3's center ehaust, and RUF's of days past.

I love my PSE on the 991.1. Top down, country roads.....maybe a bluff on the side, it's pure bliss.

Funny. When I hear other Porsches on the street, I always think, "wow, that sounds great, I sure hope my car sounds that good". While I think my car sounds great, I think for the bystander on the street, the sound is even more impressive and prevalent. Or they think anoying and loud, if you don't like loud sportscars.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Entertaining and informative as always Nick. Love the PSE, including the burbles etc. The large diameter center tips look great to my eye and plenty of width visually back there. Quad pipes are classic, totally get why many prefer that look.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 PM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good job, Nick! I'm very glad to see you back in a Porsche.

Nick, were all 3 cars a "cold start" (similar temp)? That (temp) effects sound a lot.

I like the center exhaust on the new 991.2. The pipe dimensions are slightly larger, and look very good in person, IMO. Plus, I've always liked the GT3's center ehaust, and RUF's of days past.

I love my PSE on the 991.1. Top down, country roads.....maybe a bluff on the side, it's pure bliss.

Funny. When I hear other Porsches on the street, I always think, "wow, that sounds great, I sure hope my car sounds that good". While I think my car sounds great, I think for the bystander on the street, the sound is even more impressive and prevalent. Or they think anoying and loud, if you don't like loud sportscars.

Thanks! Yes all three cars were warmed up before the video as I could not wait for them all to cool down
Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,862 Likes on 4,809 Posts

I think the Lexus sounded bestest.

"I'm an overrated 5 out of 10"
Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the Video Nick. Nicely done.
I added the Fabspeed headers and sportcats to my .2 C4S. There is no lack of exhaust note now. It's a deeper tone than my .1 with PSE but it's equally exciting from inside or outside the car.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:06 PM
AeroStormGT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the look department, I think PSE is more of a retro in salute to the Porsche-designed classic beetle.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 PM
sraj
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the video Nick! I know the subject of this thread is PSE, but I would like to dig a little deeper on your comments regarding the PDK. Like you, I am looking to move from an M4 to a 911 (in my case, convertible to cab). I am in a real quandary on the transmission, although I have yet to drive a 991.2 7MT (hard to find in my area). The 911 will also be my commuter, facing occasional (not daily) traffic backups. Back in the day, I drove an E39 540is 6-speed with a UUC short shift kit, and after awhile I got a little tired of the MT in traffic. However, from everything I've read, the 991.2 MT is in another class, and with the torque available, would likely not need to be rowed as much. My M4 is a DCT, and I have to admit that I love the full-power upshifts and kick in the back, but part of me misses the MT a little. With this context, I wonder if you could expand a little on your most recent thoughts on the transmission choice. I sense a little renewed affection on your part for the PDK.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

I agree. I love to listen to them on the street. The 991.1 with or without PSE just sounds fantastic and turns my head every time.

Originally Posted by DY369

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the HP and torque of a PSE vs Non-PSE car. Since the exhaust path is not the same there must be some difference between the two. Exhaust and intake are very sensitive to flow. I'm not saying that the PSE would have more horsepower....maybe it would even have a few less......just curious how they could be "exactly" the same.
I agree with your assessment that HP likely changes. Inn another forum, two people did a dyno on the 981 with and without PSE. One got the same HP and the other actually got lower HP with PSE.

Originally Posted by R_Rated

I'm only looking to lightly heckle and not start a debate by saying.... so some of you admit there are aspects of the #1 that you prefer! Like quad exhaust tips
I love the NA sound and the quad pipes. What is there "not to like" about the 991.1?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:36 AM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sraj
Thanks for the video Nick! I know the subject of this thread is PSE, but I would like to dig a little deeper on your comments regarding the PDK. Like you, I am looking to move from an M4 to a 911 (in my case, convertible to cab). I am in a real quandary on the transmission, although I have yet to drive a 991.2 7MT (hard to find in my area). The 911 will also be my commuter, facing occasional (not daily) traffic backups. Back in the day, I drove an E39 540is 6-speed with a UUC short shift kit, and after awhile I got a little tired of the MT in traffic. However, from everything I've read, the 991.2 MT is in another class, and with the torque available, would likely not need to be rowed as much. My M4 is a DCT, and I have to admit that I love the full-power upshifts and kick in the back, but part of me misses the MT a little. With this context, I wonder if you could expand a little on your most recent thoughts on the transmission choice. I sense a little renewed affection on your part for the PDK.
Yes there is no wrong choice, the PDK has to be the best DCT out there, far better than the DCT in the M4 which has so many more options but still does not quite read the mind like PDK. That said the MT is also the best I have driven and I would get the MT again today as the new Turbo engine is so flexible less rowing is required and it is always a thrill to be down changing my through the gears as I leave the interstate every day. If in doubt however get the PDK it is the safe choice. Much faster, much better on fuel, allows others to drive your car and you never get caught stalling your own car : )
Old 08-26-2017, 10:38 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroStormGT
In the look department, I think PSE is more of a retro in salute to the Porsche-designed classic beetle.

wow - can't unsee that!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:36 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove a few 2017s at the dealer recently; an S and a base model, both with PSE, and a base model without PSE.

• I couldn't tell the difference inside of the car unless I cycled back and forth and paid close attention during hard acceleration.
  • Outside the car, it is clearly louder at idle immediately after start, then quiets down.
  • With the sunroof open, I can hear the burbling in sport mode. When the sunroof is closed, the burbling not audible.

I would not order a car with PSE because I can't tell the difference while driving (certainly not $3,000 worth of difference).

If I happen to get a great deal on a CPO car then I would be ok with the PSE, as there is no downside (the two center pipes don't bother me too much, and it can be turned off if the neighbors complain).

Last edited by phx991; 08-28-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust is it really worth it? Video comparing PSE vs non PSE