Sponsored by:

Cab or Targa - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Cab or Targa - any thoughts?

Considering a 991 cab but there's also a beautiful black over black - bordeaux targa on the lot.

https://www.porschevancouver.ca/inve...tallic+1302575

https://www.porschevancouver.ca/inve...+Black+1281447

Any thoughts on the open-air driving experience? Is it enough with the Targa? Wish for more of the top off I.e. a cab?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-15-2017, 11:35 AM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Now that is a tough choice. Both cars are beautiful but the Bordeaux red in the Targa is especially beautiful. It appears you have had cabs before so you know what that feels like. Most of the automotive writers complain that the Targa is very noisy when open at speed. And by noisy I'm referring to wind noise. So, I would recommend driving one to see if that bothers you. If not, you may have a coin flip in your future. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Love the Targa. Have had cabs before (non 911's but cabs) and I am never wanting more when I have the Targa lid down. Another huge benefit is the visability with the top up. Top up Cab visibility sucks....top up Targa visibility is great. And to me....the Targa is certainly the better looking of the two, top up or down.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:25 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took delivery of 2017 Targa two weeks ago, aesthetically the best-looking 911 IMHO. The top mechanism is fantastic to watch and at every cars and coffee or PCA run people ask to see a live demo. Is it noisy? For me no better or worse than Cab, I find that lowering the windows reduces the wind buffeting. Top up it is quiet and stable. The ride feels bit "softer" maybe it is the extra weight or suspension adjustment for the model. You don't see another one every day vs. coupe or cab if that matters to you. I do not track my cars, so a GT cruiser suits me perfectly. Really can't go too far wrong either way. No regrets here, I would make the same choice every time. Test drive both on the highway and back roads, best of luck whichever you may choose.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

I don't find the Targa any noisier or any more buffeting up to 75MPH on the freeway than I did in either of my 981 Boxsters, even with the windows up.
As I've written elsewhere, the only thing that bothers me is the need to be at a stop to put the top up or down (but of course I knew that going in).
Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with this analysis of, and conclusion on, the Targa. https://www.driving.co.uk/car-review...1-targa-4-gts/

The only reason to select a Targa over a convertible is because you like to look at a Targa more than you like to look at a convertible.
All other comparative characteristics, it seems to me, favor selecting the convertible.

Full disclosure: I am a convertible person.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:49 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I don't find the Targa any noisier or any more buffeting up to 75MPH on the freeway than I did in either of my 981 Boxsters, even with the windows up.
I agree, I never put the windows up with the top down, whether I'm around town, or cruising down the highway and I don't experience any buffeting. Even my wife will not be begging for me to put the windows up like she always did in our previous cabs.

That said, I think the noise/buffeting issue is a seat position thing. I am 6' and position the seat forward enough so that my left foot can easily and comfortably fully seat onto the dead peddle with a comfortable amount of knee bend...no buffeting heard by me. If however, I was to be a seat way back and legs straight sort of driver, I would indeed hear much more noise/buffeting as the closer your head is to the Targa bar, the more noise/buffeting you will experience. I think seat location is the difference between why some say they experience no buffeting and others say its really bad.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:55 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 207 Posts

I have had both and wind buffeting at speeds over 100 km/h is noticeable in either car. I drive with the top up on the highway and top down in the city. I say get the Targa for it's looks, rarity and better resale, but then again I am biased.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:07 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had both, I have had my Targa since Memorial Day weekend. I don't find it to be noisier than the Cab (to my memory) and I think the aesthetics of the Targa are the best of any 911 variant. Which shouldn't surprise since I bought one!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:09 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Was surprised at the buffeting in the Targa as compared to the cabriolet, and I knew all the window tricks from previous old-school Targas -- and owned a 991 cab before. Drive side-by-side to make your own conclusions but my salesman said other customers came to similar conclusions, especially those (like me) who pretty much live with the top down (or open) all the time.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
I agree with this analysis of, and conclusion on, the Targa. https://www.driving.co.uk/car-review...1-targa-4-gts/
What analysis? It's Clarkson, and as usual, Clarkson doesn't do a real review or analysis, he tries for as much humor as he can stuff into an article. He generally never has a point, and he's sometimes outright wrong (i.e. his "I bet it's not worth it" comment on outfitting an S with GTS options vs. the price of an S).

Also worth noting is that he's talking about the 991.1 Targa GTS. Which is pretty much like the Targa S unless you push the engine to high RPMs. The 991.2, which the original poster is considering, has a good deal more torque at the low end, and delivers about 1.4x the acceleration from 0 to 60 MPH compared to the 991.1 Targa 4 GTS.

Originally Posted by fuddman
The only reason to select a Targa over a convertible is because you like to look at a Targa more than you like to look at a convertible.
Not quite true. As Al Fresco said in post #3 in this thread cab visibility with the top up sucks. I'm speaking from first hand experience, I own a C4S cab. The rear visibility out of the Targa is outstanding, top up or down (obviously), and better than the coupe because of the absence of a C pillar.

That said, I've never owned a Targa. I've test driven one, but I wasn't looking then for the things I'd like to know now. So I'm curious what gets said in this thread by people who have owned both and know what it's like in the long run.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:44 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,015 Posts

You obviously need a lot of advice because you got rid of your 987 Spyder. Who does that anyway?

Targa > CAB any day. In looks, feel and nostalgia.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Targa wins in looks. Way better open air experience for you (and all passengers) in the Cabriolet. Electric windscreen in Cabriolet definitely reduces wind noise compared to Targa. Cabriolet top can be put up or down when moving; Targa top cannot...must be stationary and takes longer.
You choose. Both awesome cars.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:39 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Targa all day long. I'm biased but put my money where my vote is.

PS - You can't go wrong either way. Pick what floats your boat.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 76 Posts

I love the Targa especially the color combo of the one you are looking at- although it doesn't have the sport exhaust it would still be an easy decision for me... TARGA 👍

Quick Reply: Cab or Targa - any thoughts?