Sponsored by:

Cab or Targa - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:54 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Cab > Targa

For anyone remotely concerned about Cab's top-up visibility.... LCA is the ticket!

Last edited by NVRANUF; 08-15-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Love the Targa. Have had cabs before (non 911's but cabs) and I am never wanting more when I have the Targa lid down. Another huge benefit is the visability with the top up. Top up Cab visibility sucks....top up Targa visibility is great. And to me....the Targa is certainly the better looking of the two, top up or down.
Yes yes yes
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
For anyone remotely concerned about Cab's top-up visibility.... LCA is the ticket!
I had a Panamera SeH, and the rear visibility was absolutely terrible. LCA was a big help, but it taught me that I'd still much, much rather have the visibility in the first place. LCA's not really a substitute, just a work-around.

Of course, by the same token, the big glass rear window of the Targa isn't the same as having no rear panels at all when the top's down. It's just sorta-close, and only if it's visibility you care about. Which is my main thing, but not every cab owner's.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know, I guess I'm a ragtop purist. I am on my 4th Porsche Cab and had a couple of Corvettes and a Jaguar Cab. I just don't get it, why a targa with half an open roof. Maybe it's just me.
The following users liked this post:
kincedn9 (07-02-2023)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche Jeff
I just don't get it, why a targa with half an open roof.
My thought, currently, is that you don't get a Targa for the removable roof. A coupe with a sunroof gives you almost the same effect.

What a Targa gives you that a Coupe doesn't is superior rear visibility, being able to lift the entire friggin' rear off in order to direct access to the rear seats to put big stuff in, and the looks.

The "put stuff in the back" thing is something you probably understand already, since you get the same effect with a cab. It can be surprisingly important, at least to some of us.

What a Targa gives you that a Cab doesn't is excellent rear visibility when the weather forces you to have the top up, and the looks.

Even though I'm a cab owner, I'm not a fan of the roof's appearance, top up or down. No swoopy lines like a coupe or targa with the roof down, and a contrasting roof that doesn't have the same aesthetic when it's up. Every time I look at my wife's Cayman S and my car side by side, I notice this. I like the Cayman's roofline much better.

What a Cab gives you that a Targa doesn't is superior visibility when the weather is great and you can keep the top down, and that all-around open air effect. Targa with the roof down is not really a substitute for the latter.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

that targa looks amazing! Black with red interior is sick
Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 AM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

targa for looks 100%. But if you're like me and want open air even on the cloudy day with chance of showers. You want cab so you can put too up while moving. That's what made me stick to a cab even though I really wanted Targa GTS.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:09 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was heading back on Sunday night from a weekend on eastern Long Island and with all the slow driving/traffic on the local roads part of the drive, we kept the Targa top down. Then when we got to the turn for the LIE (highway) stopped at the traffic light, I put the top up. The 20 second time was the perfect time interval for the light!

I may never sell this car. I'm just so happy with its looks and performance and my choices when I spec'ed it. I may add cars, but keep this one. Who knows what may change in the future, but those are my feelings for now. 100% Targa all the way!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I was heading back on Sunday night from a weekend on eastern Long Island and with all the slow driving/traffic on the local roads part of the drive, we kept the Targa top down. Then when we got to the turn for the LIE (highway) stopped at the traffic light, I put the top up. The 20 second time was the perfect time interval for the light!
Yeah...its fun playing the stoplight gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and look like a total douchebag waiting an extra 10 seconds at the light for your fancy top to close while the cars behind you are cursing the F'n DB in the fancy topped Porsh!!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:21 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Lots of arguments for and against to support either choice.

It's what matters most to you, "your" car's owner, which should dictate which direction you take.

I'm sure you will be as happy with your choice as I am with mine!

Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bwiele
The 20 second time was the perfect time interval for the light!
I'd probably never do that if anyone was behind me. Just because I'd worry about hitting him with the rear window!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I'd probably never do that if anyone was behind me. Just because I'd worry about hitting him with the rear window!
The rear parking sensors will not allow the top to open if it senses something close enough behind the car that the rear window would hit it. That does not prevent somebody from moving closer and hitting your rear window when its open, but its not likely you are going to hit anybody behind you when it opens if they were stationary when the process started. The window does not extend very far behind the car in the first place.

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 08-16-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Thanks so much guys. I am an open-air kind of driver. It enhances the experience with the sight, smells etc...

And to respond to the question "who sells a Spyder"? Well, a guy that had to thin the herd and sadly let that one get away. I've regretted selling it but heck - I've regretted selling every Porsche I've owned. And that being said, this little 981 I'm driving ticks a lot of boxes EXCEPT for the open air experience. A 991 Targa may just be the ultimate all-around daily driver.

Thanks again and keep the comments coming.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
The rear parking sensors will not allow the top to open if it senses something close enough behind the car that the top would hit it. That does not prevent somebody from moving closer and hitting your rear window when its open, but its not likely you are going to hit anybody behind you when it opens if they were stationary when the process started. The window does not extend very far behind the car in the first place.
And mercifully it was my wife and other 2 kids in the car behind me!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 PM
2001_S15
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Targa is the perfect "convertible coupe". As others have noted the top down feel is slightly less expansive than a cab but you don't really want "more". It is definitely noisy and the top operation slow.

Visibility is amazing. Lid shut, it feels tight and enclosed like a coupe - maybe even better visibility than a coupe due to the huge wraparound rear glass.

Quick Reply: Cab or Targa - any thoughts?