Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Try to sell my car...dealer frustration. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 04:12 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

b) some states don't work that way.
Key here, don't make the assumption that this tax on the difference works in your state. If you're in Cali, like me, we get a a lot of benefits but this isn't one of them!!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I bring up an alternative that has not been discussed. I became bored with my 2013 991 C2 PDK after 14 months of ownership. I first went to my local deakership and tried to trade it for my present 2015 GTS. I then advertised it on Cars.com and had many REAL BUYERS within 3 days. I sold the car for more than the dealership offered me in trade. Yet, at closing for the GTS, the tax far exceeded my anticipated profit on the 2013. I am providing a lesson. Please research ahead. Pure stupidity on my part is not an excuse.
He indicated that he's just trying to sell, not trade in on something new, so no tax break available.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
A 2017 CPO car which is being sold (again) probably has some negative connotations to it as well.
Since this is 2017, that's absolutely the case. Two owners in one year is a red flag to most buyers, and believe me dealers are aware of that fact. The biggest challenge however on high end cars is the dollar difference between wholesale and retail. Dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail. There's about a 20% difference between wholesale and retail. So the math gets real ugly when you are selling a $100K+ car.

If the owner of a new 991 doesn't want to take a bad financial hit, the car has to be sold in a private sale.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Most dealers have plenty of 911s. The one I ordered my 4s from has close to 20 cars. If you offered your car as a trade, they would be happy to take it off your hands obviously. As others have suggested, CarMax or a private sale is your best bet. Also if you have a manual, I suspect it will be harder to sell. Most 911s I see are PDKs.
Sure there are a lot more PDK s than manual trans but there are plenty of hardcore enthusiasts who will only buy a manual trans.
As has been mentioned most dealers are interested if u are trading in car on another and are not interested in buying a non specialty car.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:56 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by *991*
Sure there are a lot more PDK s than manual trans but there are plenty of hardcore enthusiasts who will only buy a manual trans.
As has been mentioned most dealers are interested if u are trading in car on another and are not interested in buying a non specialty car.
I hope so. Mine is a MT. I suppose if I bailed on the delivery, the dealer may have a hard time selling a 4S with a MT. Not too many buyers ask for a MT from what I have seen. I traded a 13 Boxster S with a MT and they sold it in less than month. But that was a Boxster not a 911.

Also, regarding the OP's problem, I suspect a lot of 911 buyers are like me. I wanted a personalized car and was willing to wait and pay for a new car. Not the least bit interested in buying a second hand car for 100k+.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-31-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
Approached my two local Porsche dealers by phone call to sell my low mileage 2017 C2S. Car is in good shape and fully covered with PPF by Xpel.

The first one, who I have purchased a car from before, basically ignored me for 3 business days then after confronting my SA in a nice but firm way he then told me "we are not interested" and refused to give me any reason why. SA Kept asking if something is wrong with the car...there is nothing wrong with it.

Second one did give me a low ball price so I am trying to negotiate up a bit and keep getting "we have to contact our buyer"...again over multiple business days.

If I wanted to buy something I would have already had three high prices and multiple phone calls.

What gives..? Am I breaking some code because I want to move on and NOT buy something from them?

I thought for sure a dealer would want this car. It is in great condition. I did not want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell to the general public....so far dealing with a dealer is not much better.

Rant over I guess...just frustrated. I don't have time to drive the car to every dealership in the area begging for them to buy it.
Sorry to hear. Certainly not the premium image Porsche wants to convey.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:19 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I bought my car in October, our local dealer had nothing used in inventory, other than some '17s. I found a car at the next closest dealer about 65 miles away. I asked the local dealer if they were interested in buying mine, and they too said they don't do that, despite them occasionally sending emails asking for cars to buy. I thought it was a missed opportunity for them to make $10k or so on something that was fairly hard to find ('12 Cayman S in Peridot Green). I ended up trading it to the other dealer and they sold it in less than one week.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,593 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yes, but primarily used cars they take in trade so that they can make a new car sale. The only used cars they will buy outright are cars they can get well below retail and resell at a very healthy profit, and/or highly desirable GT type cars. Porsche dealers are not out there looking to make a market buying back pedestrian 911's from owners.
You made my point for me. Dealer can make as much, if not more, on a used car sale than a new. So they are always looking for cars to move, even if used.

Now, I didn't say they wouldn't make it worth their while and lowball him. Of course they will! But why they wouldn't want to try to lowball him and then flip the car for nice profit makes no sense.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:54 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As pointed out by a previous poster, April year to date sales of 911's is down.
June has shown no improvement, shown here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300483122.html

Porsche used 911 sales seem to be in the same boat, May numbers here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300467286.html

The other thing to consider when looking at prices in the 911 market is the number of 911's coming off lease. I would guess there are quite a few. What does Porsche do with those? I think they are now inclined to keep them off the market (manipulate supply) to ensure new car prices (as well as used car prices) hold value. I read somewhere the people at Porsche are likely to do this sort of thing if they feel it's necessary to protect the value of their cars for their customers as well as their dealers.

Bottom line: sales are slow and my guess is it's a buyers market for any and all 911's. There should be some very good deals available to the savvy negotiator.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by fuddman
As pointed out by a previous poster, April year to date sales of 911's is down.
June has shown no improvement, shown here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300483122.html

Porsche used 911 sales seem to be in the same boat, May numbers here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300467286.html

Well it's a good thing they're limiting production on those pesky GT3 cars that everyone actually wants to buy and instead producing all these 718s and 991s nobody wants. Please Porsche, if you're listening, pleasssse make some more 4 banger Macan's! We need more base Macans! My dealer only has 20 of them on his lot!!

Porsche dealer lots these days remind me more of the auto equivalent of a lady's handbag shop, than a sports car dealership.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:46 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Dealers are in the business to make money as much money as possible and generally don't want used cars unless they can unload them at auction and STILL show a profit.
When I traded my 991, I couldn't believe the low ball trade-in value offered which they insisted was fair given my particular car with "high miles" (6k per year) and poor option choice (no sunroof). I got them up 10% with much effort and they were REALLY doing me a big favor.
They promptly listed it for about 30% more than they gave me (not CPOed either) and described it as one of the cleanest they've ever seen! Not sure what they actually sold it for but it was gone quick - damn stealers
Old 07-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Dealers are in the business to make money as much money as possible and generally don't want used cars unless they can unload them at auction and STILL show a profit.
When I traded my 991, I couldn't believe the low ball trade-in value offered which they insisted was fair given my particular car with "high miles" (6k per year) and poor option choice (no sunroof). I got them up 10% with much effort and they were REALLY doing me a big favor.
They promptly listed it for about 30% more than they gave me (not CPOed either) and described it as one of the cleanest they've ever seen! Not sure what they actually sold it for but it was gone quick - damn stealers
^^^This is what drives me crazy about greedy car dealers^^^

I considered at 991.1 GT3 but the things I read about them makes me a little nervous about any sort of longer term ownership.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Why is that greedy? They're a for profit business providing a service and trying to maximize their profit. You don't have to accept their offer and they don't have to do business with you if they don't think it's lucrative enough. I don't see how someone can get angry at a dealer for not buying a car from them.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:22 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Key here, don't make the assumption that this tax on the difference works in your state. If you're in Cali, like me, we get a a lot of benefits but this isn't one of them!!
What benefits exactly? I lived in CA for 55 years and don't recall any other than great weather.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I bring up an alternative that has not been discussed. I became bored with my 2013 991 C2 PDK after 14 months of ownership. I first went to my local deakership and tried to trade it for my present 2015 GTS. I then advertised it on Cars.com and had many REAL BUYERS within 3 days. I sold the car for more than the dealership offered me in trade. Yet, at closing for the GTS, the tax far exceeded my anticipated profit on the 2013. I am providing a lesson. Please research ahead. Pure stupidity on my part is not an excuse.
that's why I normally just trade in. the tax benefit makes up for the lower selling price, at least close enough to not want to deal with the hassle of selling it myself.

Quick Reply: Try to sell my car...dealer frustration. Is this normal?