Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Try to sell my car...dealer frustration. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:52 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
Appreciate the link. I bought the car as a CPO so I didn't buy new.
Not sure if that matters. (I recognize there's a good chance CPO is voided is passes through a non-P dealer, but wouldn't expect the same from a consignment shop. This isn't fact, just my intuition.)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I guess I can see their point. They already have nice cars on their lot so why would they want to pay for yet another and have no chance at a new sale to you. I can also see why they would have to low-ball you because they need to resell it. Regular Carreras are not rare so there is no pent up demand which would guarantee a quick, profitable sale of yours if they bought it.

Good luck, though. What other car, if any, are you buying?
Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Buying your used car for cash is not in those pcar dealers business plans. Simple way to end your frustration ... go to Carmax, get their 7-day quote. Pay for a membership to sell it here and list it for a couple K more with good pics. Carmax gave me 2K cash more than my local dealer would give me trade on my last deal, and it was the third new pcar purchased from the same dealer.
Disagree with this. Dealers make WAY more on used cars than new cars. Even Porsche dealers.

Lowball offer...of course. They always lowball. Even when backed with facts. I had a lowball offer from a dealer that was $10k lower than auction pricing. He told me my number wasn't realistic. I sent him Manheim auction results, as well as retail pricing that was $10k higher than what I was even asking for a car. Never heard back as I guess he realized he didn't have a sucker.

In any event, if the dealer isn't calling you back, that's odd. Dealers live selling used cars.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:04 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
Approached my two local Porsche dealers by phone call to sell my low mileage 2017 C2S. Car is in good shape and fully covered with PPF by Xpel.

The first one, who I have purchased a car from before, basically ignored me for 3 business days then after confronting my SA in a nice but firm way he then told me "we are not interested" and refused to give me any reason why. SA Kept asking if something is wrong with the car...there is nothing wrong with it.

Second one did give me a low ball price so I am trying to negotiate up a bit and keep getting "we have to contact our buyer"...again over multiple business days.

If I wanted to buy something I would have already had three high prices and multiple phone calls.

What gives..? Am I breaking some code because I want to move on and NOT buy something from them?

I thought for sure a dealer would want this car. It is in great condition. I did not want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell to the general public....so far dealing with a dealer is not much better.

Rant over I guess...just frustrated. I don't have time to drive the car to every dealership in the area begging for them to buy it.
Most dealers have plenty of 911s. The one I ordered my 4s from has close to 20 cars. If you offered your car as a trade, they would be happy to take it off your hands obviously. As others have suggested, CarMax or a private sale is your best bet. Also if you have a manual, I suspect it will be harder to sell. Most 911s I see are PDKs.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:32 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Any newer car, 1-2 years old is a pain to get rid of. Dealers just don't need them (exceptions of course for rare models and great builds). You are not going to do better than a depressing, low ball, less than wholesale offer. Even ads on Cars.com or autotrader result in a lot of scam responses with precious few bona fide responses.
The private market for your car is restricted to those buyers who can arrange their own financing or can pay cash. You are going to have to beat anything the dealer can arrange and expect to be well under what a dealer will charge for the same car. It sounds like your car is already CPO, so that helps you.
GLWS.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Disagree with this. Dealers make WAY more on used cars than new cars. Even Porsche dealers.

Lowball offer...of course. They always lowball. Even when backed with facts. I had a lowball offer from a dealer that was $10k lower than auction pricing. He told me my number wasn't realistic. I sent him Manheim auction results, as well as retail pricing that was $10k higher than what I was even asking for a car. Never heard back as I guess he realized he didn't have a sucker.

In any event, if the dealer isn't calling you back, that's odd. Dealers live selling used cars.
Yes, but primarily used cars they take in trade so that they can make a new car sale. The only used cars they will buy outright are cars they can get well below retail and resell at a very healthy profit, and/or highly desirable GT type cars. Porsche dealers are not out there looking to make a market buying back pedestrian 911's from owners.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Any newer car, 1-2 years old is a pain to get rid of.
Not a pain at the right price. Problem is, most people are not realistic about what their car is worth. They price it too high, it takes way longer to sell and they have to deal with way too many people, and...in the end they get a much lower price than what they asked originally. If you want to sell a used car quickly and painlessly, price it right from the get go and it will sell.

It's always funny to hear someone bitch and moan about how hard it was to sell their two year old car on Crackhead's List with an ask $5k under sticker.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Become a Rennlister Member for about $18 and list in our Classifieds.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Try CarMax perhaps???
Either this or one of the high end places that likes to have a variety of high end inventory. Porsche dealers are only interested if you're buying or if it's a collectible.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A 2017 CPO car which is being sold (again) probably has some negative connotations to it as well.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:27 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
As others have suggested, CarMax or a private sale is your best bet. Also if you have a manual, I suspect it will be harder to sell. Most 911s I see are PDKs.
May be true with sale to a dealer, because 100% of people who walk onto the lot can drive off in a PDK car, but I suspect the MT may work the other way as a private sale. Consider demand for older Ferraris with manual gearboxes as well as GTI/M3/911/987/981—when it comes to enthusiast cars, the scarcity of MT can be a help for the seller. I wouldn't buy a 991.2 with PDK, so that limits my potential pool significantly. Per (half) the advice above, I'd go with private sale via RL, or consign it to a specialty dealer if you don't want to deal with tire-kickers. Price it right, and it should move. Price it a bit low, and it should go quickly if it's a good car/good build.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Best advice on the thread...

Originally Posted by bwiele
A 2017 CPO car which is being sold (again) probably has some negative connotations to it as well.
There may be some validity to this. I'd certainly want to know the car's history. If the history and the car itself are clean, and the reasons for its sale, twice, are no big deal, you'll do well to explain that up front. Paint meter readings, a body shop inspection, service records, and over-rev readouts would go a long way toward making it a non-issue for me.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:40 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I bring up an alternative that has not been discussed. I became bored with my 2013 991 C2 PDK after 14 months of ownership. I first went to my local deakership and tried to trade it for my present 2015 GTS. I then advertised it on Cars.com and had many REAL BUYERS within 3 days. I sold the car for more than the dealership offered me in trade. Yet, at closing for the GTS, the tax far exceeded my anticipated profit on the 2013. I am providing a lesson. Please research ahead. Pure stupidity on my part is not an excuse.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I bring up an alternative that has not been discussed. I became bored with my 2013 991 C2 PDK after 14 months of ownership. I first went to my local deakership and tried to trade it for my present 2015 GTS. I then advertised it on Cars.com and had many REAL BUYERS within 3 days. I sold the car for more than the dealership offered me in trade. Yet, at closing for the GTS, the tax far exceeded my anticipated profit on the 2013. I am providing a lesson. Please research ahead. Pure stupidity on my part is not an excuse.
Excellent words of wisdom.... learned the hard way.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

+1. This worked for me. Sold a 2016 car and only was out the shipping cost.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:55 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Be a member and sell on here.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:00 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Very true; I traded my GTS last month to a dealer for about 8k less than I could have gotten if I patiently waited for the right buyer, maybe 4k less than I could have gotten if I wanted to move it fairly fast.

But because I traded on another car that was only 7k more, I only had to pay sales tax on 7k rather than 107k. That saved me $7000 in sales tax, essentially making up the delta between my trade-in value and what I could have maybe sold it for. Without any hassle; show up, swap keys with the dealer, drive home.

Of course,

a) OP may be just unloading the car, not replacing it, or

b) some states don't work that way.

Quick Reply: Try to sell my car...dealer frustration. Is this normal?