front park assist failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:52 PM
andonixxx
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front park assist failure

Hi Guys!

Has anyone had a front park assist failure error on the screen?

Car was parked the whole morning in this beautifully south FL weather with approx 95 ° weather.

When I went to get something to eat around 12pm, I noticed a really annoying beep for about 3 seconds and a message on the head unit saying front park assist failure.

I am going to check later when it cools down to see if has something to do with the heat, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys

Has this ever happened to you before?

Going to a dealer is not an option, my car is a 2013 991 and warranty has expired.

Any suggestions would me much appreciated

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 05:34 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Park assist in these cars is similar to other germans, heck if you look at the control modules you see they're identical physically to their audi/vw counter parts. In a prior Audi I had, I got something akin to what you're seeing from a sensor cable having an intermittent connection. Could be a wire has gotten worn down on a sharper edge and its finally gotten through to the copper its self and its grounding out. If it comes back to life magically on its own that's the likely culprit. Short of having a diagnostic computer handy to read codes thats about the only other way you can tell. You'll probably want want a diagnostic computer handy anyway to narrow down which cable/sensor is having the problem. If ones goes it takes down the whole front end with it.
The following users liked this post:
Joe911991 (10-10-2020)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:38 PM
andonixxx
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input!

I realized that the rear ones are working, and the fronts are not. so this makes me think that one of the sensors are not working. like you mentioned.

How do I check the sensors? do I need to remove the bumper?
Old 07-29-2017, 02:02 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Easiest way is to read codes, find someone with Durametric in your area. I have the Ross-Tech cable (which is primarily Audi/VW/Bentley/Lambo) but it can read some stuff on the 991. I do not have parking sensors so I cannot say one way or the other or I would offer to loan it to you.

Without the code reader you could have a bit of guessing game on your hands and keep in mind this could be simple as some cable fraying somewhere. The code reader at least tells you which sensor to start at.

You will likely need to remove the bumper at which point you can inspect the harness. Also the parking sensor do not come painted so there is another fly in the ointment. If you car is black it wont be too bad, other colors will likely requires some paint work. You might be able to reach the front ones that are on the grill/intake scoops if you have slender hands. Again you will need a working sensor to swap/test.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 PM
rx7ven
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andonixxx
Thanks for the input!

I realized that the rear ones are working, and the fronts are not. so this makes me think that one of the sensors are not working. like you mentioned.

How do I check the sensors? do I need to remove the bumper?
doesn't look like you are active on this forum anymore but by any chance if you ever got this resolved? this had just happened to me and i'm also without warranty.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:26 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

My car is hibernating now, but a similar thing happened last summer. After sitting in the hot sun all day (usually only if the temp >90) the parking sensor would go off as soon as I started the car. Pull away from the curb, and it would stop, but as soon as I stopped at a light behind a car (even 10-12' away), it would go off again and continue until I started moving again. Never got any error messages. Only happened on the hottest days. I never took it in because it was intermittent and the nearest Porsche dealer is over 3 hr away. If you end up taking it in, I'd be curious to know what they diagnose.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

My front parking sensors seemed to randomly go off at stop lights. I mentioned it to the service advisor and he gave me the feeling that this is not all that uncommon.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:34 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I get that from time to time with my 14'C2S, at stop light the front would start detecting something in front of the car as if something is moving in front may be a large plastic bag or something but the times that happened as I drive I don't see any objects.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

it's the new LED lights of some vehicles causing a false report on the sensor.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:32 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 13 4S at the dealer now for the same issue at stop lights occasionally. SA called various other shops and the consensus is that it's normal and that it may be due to squeaking breaks setting them off. Had a Cayenne that never did it. Interestingly, the loaner Macan has done it twice over the course of the week. Surprised this isn't a bigger deal.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Maybe the dealership will disable or code out this feature in a way less intrusive than clipping the wires. I had an M5 that would would act up and I ended up unplugging the wire to the chime/buzzer...
Old 02-26-2019, 01:03 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Normal mis-behavior on all cars I've owned with front sensors, I often press the handy 'off' button if I am at a light when the reflection off something is annoying.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

At first I thought it was a big nuisance but after having the car for a while now I actually like it (most of the time). It helps when parking since it keeps me away from curb feelers but it is sensitive and false alarms do occur.

Quick Reply: front park assist failure