Discount on 17 991.2 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Discount on 17 991.2 GTS?

Hey RL

I'm contemplating a purchase of a mid spec (143 MSRP) 17 GTS Coupe, any thoughts in terms of realistic possible discount.

Thanks!

Larry
Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

I would say 3 points honestly. Dealers are being SUPER tight with these.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 AM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My research show discounts ranging from 4% to 9%. I was getting quotes for 4% for a lease without even asking for a discount
Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

We got 7% off on a GTS...my wife actually did most of the negotiations...lol...said she didn't want me pissing off the dealer. Lol

Last edited by mdrums; 07-23-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 76 Posts

appreciate the inputs!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:08 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
We got 7% off on a GTS...my wife actually didn't the negotiations...lol...said she didn't want me pissing off the dealer. Lol
That would be the highest discount Ive seen for a 991.2 GTS period. That's awesome if you guys got that!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:21 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

We got 7% off on a GTS...my wife actually didn't the negotiations...lol...said she didn't want me pissing off the dealer. Lol
Wow. You have a well trained wife!

Jim

Old 07-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Would love to hear how you got 7%. Any and all insight on negotiations are welcome.

Story time. My wife screwed up the negotiations on my current car, despite the fact she often berates me for being a creampuff in this department.

The car (used 991.1 C4S cab, 26k miles, 3 years old) was listed for $95k, which seemed high. I offered $90k. Dealer declined outright, no counteroffer. I was ready to get up and go, as I felt this demonstrated we weren't going to get anywhere. The salesman asked me to make another offer. I said $91k, again got a no thanks, no counteroffer response.

Got up to go. My wife blurted "How about $93k?" I wasn't going to make that offer, because it was too high IMHO. Dealer came back with $94k.

Now, $94k isn't much of a move from $95k, but now I was thinking maybe I was quibbling too much over price. Largely because my wife clearly wanted to buy the car.

I'd still probably have walked if the car wasn't Amaranth Red. The vast majority of cars I'd seen were in very neutral colors like gray and white. I'd seen one Sapphire Blue Targa 4S, but the dealer wanted $128k for it, and I wasn't prepared to go that high.

I felt that $91k was much closer to a fair price, but $3k really isn't a lot of money to me these days. I decided it was worth paying the money against the possibility of waiting months to see another car in a color I really liked. And having definite enthusiasm from my wife for an expensive purchase like this helped a great deal.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Gus...my wife has excellent business skills. She gets it from her dad who was in the car biz his whole life and she is a high level position in her field and company. She has always been this way, very good with numbers, negotiating and she ready gets people to like her.

I had a 2012 GTS I sold off here on Rennlist July 2015. We wanted to get another GTS but they are hard to find on dealer lots as we all know. We've been searching for around 2 months on and off. The local dealers around the Tampa FL area are zero help even though since 2002 we've bought 9 Porsches 3 BMW and 1 Audi from them. Reeves and Bert Smith Porsche both told us to order 1 and we may get an allocation and we may see it in January!!!...and they would even talk price discounts....Huh?

I was looking on the various Porsche dealer sites outside of Tampa area and all of the sudden this GT Silver GTS shows up at a dealer 3.5hrs away. Seems that the guy that ordered it backed out. This is a large dealer that has a slew of 2018's coming in so we started to deal on it. It helped we've bought from them before. Told them if they could do the deal we would drive the 3.5hrs over right then and buy it. So a little back and forth they did the deal, she gave them a deposit over the phone and off we went. We got there the car was ready, signed papers, gave them money and off we went...all in about 30 minutes! I even had time to look at 2- GT3 and 4- GT3RS, a few Turbo's and a 911R!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

So a little back and forth they did the deal, she gave them a deposit over the phone and off we went. We got there the car was ready, signed papers, gave them money and off we went...all in about 30 minutes!
That's fast. I've never had a dealership close on a car that fast. Each time I've closed with Porsche dealerships - my wife's Cayman, my Panamera, the 911 - they've needed several hours to close.

Complicating the closure on the 911 was that the dealership wanted a certified check. Which is understandable, I'm still a little surprised Porsche Westwood let me write a personal check for $100k for the Panamera, though of course it was an order and they'd cashed my desposit checks months ago so we had a little bit of history.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:44 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 258 Posts

i think 3-4% is what i would expect and have been offered locally for a new order. I wouldn't buy an in stock car for any less than that.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:55 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
That's fast. I've never had a dealership close on a car that fast. Each time I've closed with Porsche dealerships - my wife's Cayman, my Panamera, the 911 - they've needed several hours to close.

Complicating the closure on the 911 was that the dealership wanted a certified check. Which is understandable, I'm still a little surprised Porsche Westwood let me write a personal check for $100k for the Panamera, though of course it was an order and they'd cashed my desposit checks months ago so we had a little bit of history.
Wow....I had a totally different experience.

One email exchange to close the deal. (it was my second Porsche with him so I just asked for the same deal and he agreed). 5% off plus the 3k for European delivery.

No down payment. The purchase order was done via email.

15 minutes of paperwork and it was all European Delivery related. Wrote him a personal check for 120k and I was out of there in less than 20 minutes. EZ

Edit: Note for the OP - sorry this was for a C4. GTS will be much harder to get a good discount.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
No down payment. The purchase order was done via email.
That seems unusual. My impression is that almost all dealers requires some sort of deposit for an ordered car. Not that I've done any kind of scientific survey, but when I was looking into this in the first place, to get some idea what I should treat as "normal," my online search results all talked about some non-refundable deposit.

Of course, a particular dealer can always waive that if they have an existing relationship with you and want to keep that relationship. Not asking for a deposit is going to make it that much more likely you'll order through them next time, and won't shop for prices from other dealers.

Buying a car off the lot is a different proposition than ordering, of course, and the OP is talking about a new car on the lot. Discounts are more likely then. It reduces their inventory cost, and turnover gets them brownie points with Porsche corporate.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
That seems unusual. My impression is that almost all dealers requires some sort of deposit for an ordered car. Not that I've done any kind of scientific survey, but when I was looking into this in the first place, to get some idea what I should treat as "normal," my online search results all talked about some non-refundable deposit.
I'm not sure what is normal or not normal since I have only ordered two new Porsches in the last four years - both from the same place. In both cases, the dealer didn't even mention a down payment - The discussion never even came up. Also, both were European Delivery where a 19% VAT tax is normally required to be paid by the customer and then reimbursed once your car is stateside. Again, in both cases, the dealership didn't even mention it and they dealt with the VAT tax themselves. I was a nobody off the street too. The dealership is Porsche of the Mainline outside of Philadelphia. They are awesome.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:44 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
The dealership is Porsche of the Mainline outside of Philadelphia. They are awesome.
That is indeed awesome. A business tying up that much cash to save the customer a headache is remarkable.

Quick Reply: Discount on 17 991.2 GTS?