Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I keep or cancel LoJack and Wheel tire protection already bought?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 AM
bambino911s
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I keep or cancel LoJack and Wheel tire protection already bought?

So I bought my C2s 2015 CPO with 9000kmiles at a good deal from Braman Porsche 2 months ago.... extremely happy with it, its my first Porsche

So when I purchased the car I added the LoJack which as of now it has not been installed due to LoJack being unable to install at my place of work (hospital). So since it has not being installed i could still cancel?(875$ that I was charged).

The other item purchased was the tire and wheel protection. I believe it was around 3k. It has the tire/wheel protection, dings/dents and key fob replacement. I was told I could cancel this at any time. I'm always careful driving and installed a 100% coverage with Suntek PPF. park far away from other cars so not really sure I need this.

So what should I keep and what should I cancel? What do you guys think?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't worry about LoJack - if my car gets stolen (highly unlikely), that's why I have insurance.

I'm not a fan of tire & wheel protection, either, although I think you find others on here that swear by it.

I've never needed to have a tire or wheel replaced and I have only repaired a wheel once in my life for around $150-185 or so (I forget). So I would much rather want to put that money away and "self-insure" in that case.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 AM
*991*
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 95 Posts

I had full coverage in my last car 2017 M4 wheel and tire and ding and dent it was about $3800. If u look at what is covered as far as ding and dent no paint work was covered at all so it had to be a ding or dent that could be repaired without paint work. As far as the wheel tire plan you would have to damage many wheels to ever get that money back as far as I was concerned. I found I regretted buying that policy a couple days later. As soon as I traded in M4 for my 911 I cancelled the policy and was able to get a good amount of money back. These dealerships are not stupid they sell u these worthless policy when u are excited about picking up your new car and they are quick to point out its only a couple of dollars more per payment over the course of the loan. But for me it just was not worth it and I would never buy any of this stuff again.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM
bambino911s
Advanced

So I called the guy last week and he said even though LoJack hasn't been installed in the vehicle it can not be cancelled. I honestly don't believe him (salesman gimmick)I could still insist on it being called correct?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:54 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by bambino911s
So I called the guy last week and he said even though LoJack hasn't been installed in the vehicle it can not be cancelled. I honestly don't believe him (salesman gimmick)I could still insist on it being called correct?
It sounds like you are not the only one that gets this push-back. I was curious and googled "cancel lojack before installation" and there are some hits there you might find interesting. Ultimately you need to read the fine details of the contract. It may be past whatever cool down period for contracts that your state allows. Dunno.

To me the wheel/tire insurance might make more sense if you lived in a place with bad roads from perhaps winter damage. I'm guessing you are in Florida by the dealership you bought from.

I've never gotten it and it would have never paid for itself on any of my cars, but clearly some people have different experience. But I'm also very careful when parking and never curb my wheels. I guess if you are planning on putting a lot of miles on the car your risk goes up, but if you are what appears to be a typical Porsche driver the odds of damage are reduced by driving less miles. It's really a personal decision, you have to decide if spending the money and not using it would bug you more, or if you need it and don't have it AND your repairs are more than the cost of the policy would you be more upset. The repairs would have to be pretty substantial. On average across all of the cars I haven't gotten this on, the cost of paying for any repair myself was far less. On any one car it is a gamble. Unless you know you are prone to curbing wheels... then that is another thing.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

I would cancel lojack. If car got stolen, they can have it. I don't want it back. Who know what they did to the car and problems that can be had later on.

Wheel insurance - it depends on if you are lucky or unlucky. If you get a flat or curb your rims, you'll love the insurance. If you never get a flat or curb your rims (or hit a bad pothole, etc) you'll think its a big waste of money.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would never get Lo-jack. No one is touching the electronics on my car not to mention it's a slow battery leak.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Sorry to see this. The dealership made more $$$$ on upselling you the LoJack and Wheel Insurance, then they did the 911.

Lock your car. Secure your keys. Have good personal insurance, and don't fret.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

One thing I would suggest is to go ask about this face-to-face. It's easier for them to deny you on the phone, in my opinion. Also ask to elevate how ever many levels you need to. Salesmen are reluctant to look weak in their bosses eyes, the higher you go the more concerned they become with PR over a few dollars from any one sale.

I'd also mention how happy you have been with the experience up to this point... and it would be a shame for a thing like this to come up and ruin it for you. You can also gently mention you are discussing this on Rennlist with other members... they'll hate the potentially bad publicity.

For them to eat this cost on their end is ultimately a small thing for them even if LoJack won't let them cancel. They'll still get plenty of profit on the sale. I'm sure they could eventually pawn the unit off on someone else that really wants it.

I think this is a game you can win!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

If I sold an $875 LoJack, I'd not give up my $437.50 commission either. This ain't WalMart. No returns.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:15 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What are the chances of getting four flat tires. Let's think that you do. You can replace each tire at the dealership for around $350 plus $75 for mounting and balance. Wheel repairs around $200 per rim. If I damage the rim beyond repair I put a claim thru my insurance company and take the $500 deductible. The wheel and tire coverage is way overpriced. No thank you!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Send me a check for $2,000. I'll warranty your wheels. No 'fine print'.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

LoJack has always been a total ripoff. It's completely outdated technology.

For it to work, the LEO's car must be equipped with the LoJack receiver. Where I live only 1 Sheriff deputy's car had it and it has a very limited range. If that deputy wasn't working, oh well. My county has about 1 million people and the Sheriff's Dept. is very large.

I don't remember the detection range, but it's worthless.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Geez, your dealer sounds wonderful. Did they offer you the TruCoat?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 PM
bambino911s
Advanced

ok fellas, so I went to the dealership not only to fix this issue but also to help a fellow rennlister look for a car. I spoke to the finance manager and he cancelled the LoJack so I got all my dinero back (995$) and the wheel and tire package( -50$ cancellation fee and pro rate for 1 month which I'm ok with) So all good, at the end of the day I should have bought my rennlist subscription before buying the 911 �� Thank you all guys.

Quick Reply: Should I keep or cancel LoJack and Wheel tire protection already bought?